• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Applying to DELTA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No hiring at Delta anytime soon. Just rode the crew bus with a 747 FO that has flown exactly TWICE for the entire year!

RF

That's due to 744s getting lie flat seat MODs and AVOD (video at each seat). Then, throw in the 30 Senior 744 Captains that took the early out package, along with 12 senior 744 FOs. This Fall is slow for the mods, (on both 744 and A330), but Spring will be busier, and depending on future retirement numbers, hiring could happen next year. Speaking of retirements, you guys at SWA have about 150 or less per year for the next 10 years, and then add the young Airtran bunch to your list. That might mean stagnation for years for you guys, especially since your CFO just stated no growth through 2013 to the media.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Let's see.....OYS is about 45 years old.....just getting off probation.....delta has about 12,500 pilots......right now you can barely hold MD or 320 Capt at 13 years.....so if Delta continues to outsource it's flying......and the economy implodes even further......OYS is a lucky gal....she should upgrade even with all the retirements at close to 60.....look on the bright side....at least you will still be younger than your Flight Attendants.......

GODSPEED!!!!

Sacha,

A recent article stated DL will lose 7600 pilots over the next 15 years to age 65. Most guys, except you at almost 65 yourself, don't go to age 65 unless they have to. The numbers are 2000 retirements in the next 5 years, 4000 total in the next 10, and then 7600 in 15 years. Your list will lose about 150 a year for the next 10 years, and then add the young Airtran group. When one senior guy at DL retires off of a widebody, many people move up the ladder. At Southwest, he/she just moves over one seat. (not a lot of movement) I think OY6 has a lot more chances to move up the ladder than most of your pilots, and especially your newhires or bottom FOs. They will be stuck doing the same type of flying for decades. No wonder they are nervous.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why does everything turn into a SWA vs. Delta thread? The poster just asked a valid question about applying to Delta.

Why does everything turn into a SWA vs. Delta thread? The poster just asked a valid question about applying to Delta.

Good point. You'll notice it was OYS that hijacked the thread. He or she just can't pass up an opportunity to bash SWA whenever an opportunity arises. Even when it doesn't, OYS can still make it so. Kinda' like some of the other SWA haters out there.

OK. How 'bout we return this thread to the stated topic: How to get this person who wants to be hired at Delta, hired at Delta. Good luck.

And OYS, please return to one of your "I hate SWA" threads, where you belong. Thank you.

Bubba

Sacha,

A recent article stated DL will lose 7600 pilots over the next 15 years to age 65. Most guys, except you at almost 65 yourself, don't go to age 65 unless they have to. The numbers are 2000 retirements in the next 5 years, 4000 total in the next 10, and then 7600 in 15 years. Your list will lose about 150 a year for the next 10 years, and then add the young Airtran group. When one senior guy at DL retires off of a widebody, many people move up the ladder. At Southwest, he/she just moves over one seat. (not a lot of movement) I think OY6 has a lot more chances to move up the ladder than most of your pilots, and especially your newhires or bottom FOs. They will be stuck doing the same type of flying for decades. No wonder they are nervous.

Bye Bye---General Lee
Did the Delta guys get their pensions back? If not, based on your present pay rates, every Delta guy will go to 65. So in 15 years, OYS will still have 5000 guys senior to him. He will be commuting to Detroit to sit reserve as a newly upgraded Captain at 60. Woo hoo! Think about your astute observation that every time one guy retires, a whole bunch of guys move to different seats and or aircraft......is there a cost to that? I wonder how the fact that Delta is becoming more and more a Virtual Airline.....my Delta buds observations, not mine, is going to play out on your numbers? Popcorn ready....GODSPEED!!

Think about your astute observation that every time one guy retires, a whole bunch of guys move to different seats and or aircraft......is there a cost to that? Popcorn ready....GODSPEED!!

There's a MASSIVE cost with all that movement that Genital gets giddy about...because he doesn't care..

Just like the 747 FO that was literally BRAGGING that he sits at home and make full guarantee. He thought it was awesome!

I love the legacy mentality. Works well for SW.

RF

Did the Delta guys get their pensions back? If not, based on your present pay rates, every Delta guy will go to 65. So in 15 years, OYS will still have 5000 guys senior to him. He will be commuting to Detroit to sit reserve as a newly upgraded Captain at 60. Woo hoo! Think about your astute observation that every time one guy retires, a whole bunch of guys move to different seats and or aircraft......is there a cost to that? I wonder how the fact that Delta is becoming more and more a Virtual Airline.....my Delta buds observations, not mine, is going to play out on your numbers? Popcorn ready....GODSPEED!!

Sasha,

There is a cost to retirements and extra trainings, which is something you had to pay yourself to even get your FO job at SWA. I guess SWA couldn't afford to pay for your training, so you volunteered. Did you do that at Eastern for the Connie? Yes, that probably is expensive for DL, but it seems DL is profiting anyway (636 million profit for quarter) and even $700 million was paid last quarter towards debt. Sounds like bag fees help. They still work at your Airtran, and your management hasn't dumped those fees yet.

Godspeed!

OYS

There's a MASSIVE cost with all that movement that Genital gets giddy about...because he doesn't care..

Just like the 747 FO that was literally BRAGGING that he sits at home and make full guarantee. He thought it was awesome!

I love the legacy mentality. Works well for SW.

RF

So if DL has to do extensive modifications on planes for new lie flat seats or video mods in each seatback, should they pay for a few hundred to sit, or should there be a displacement bid that could cause thousands of trainings, just to reinstate them back to the 744 when the mods are done? Which is cheaper? The FO was actually doing the cheaper option for his employer.

And SWA now has multiple fleets with the addition of the 717. You will love it when you are bumped to the right seat on it. You need to think first before you post while wasted.

Godspeed!

OYS

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back