Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was negligence.

On the part of Comair mgt not to purchase RAAS

Climbhappy: Great point. (Xpoo also). There are many on this board who watched a few too many Dean Martin movies about airline pilots, and will use every specious argument imaginable to turn this accident into a pay issue. I'm all for more money, but that had nothing to do with our fallen brother's unfortunate mistake.

When pro's sit down to discuss an accident, the first thing 100 percent will admit is that 'it could have been me'. If you're posting to the contrary- well- you know what you aren't.

PCL_128 said:
The human body is not designed to deal with such randomness and chaos. A consistent schedule is necessary to provide adequate rest and performance. Do a little research.

this is exactly what made me make the fatigue call, 3 days of changing schedules, battling the wx into SDF last night, and waiting over an hour for a van to the hotel only allowed 5 hours of real rest. they were pissed when i called, but i know i did my part. i have no experience outside of the regionals, but i have a feeling it is just a bit worse at these ranks than above for schedules.

ReportCanoa said:
When pro's sit down to discuss an accident, the first thing 100 percent will admit is that 'it could have been me'. If you're posting to the contrary- well- you know what you aren't.

Bingo...I would not want to fly with one of these.."I would NEVER have done THAT" people.

XPOO said:
When they realized their runway had no lighting but the one they crossed over did, shouldn't a bulb have went off inside someone's head?

PCL_128 beat me to it..but you have obviously never taxied out to 22 if your making that kind of statement....wait...did YOU just make a mistake?

ReportCanoa said:

VERY true.

What pissing most of us off is that people come on here and say how the screw screwed up and how they would NEVER do that!!

Listen people make mistakes, sometimes you get away with it and soemtimes you don't. If you do not make mistakes you are a liar.

And I don't want to hear that how their mistakes were very basic, guess what most mistakes are.

Just shutup and stop using this accident as an oppurtunity to make yourself sound superior and that you are a no BS kinda guy.

xjlifer said:
PCL_128 beat me to it..but you have obviously never taxied out to 22 if your making that kind of statement....wait...did YOU just make a mistake?

Without taking XPOO's side in this argument, allow me to explain how I interpreted his comment:
During the take-off roll (not the taxi-out), the pilots crossed over the correct runway that is assumed to have been lit while continuing the take-off roll on the incorrect runway that is assumed to have been unlit.

tuna pimp said:
If what is being reported is accurate then this Comair captain for whatever reason taxied out onto an unsuitable, dark and unlit runway for which he was not cleared for departure, pushed the throttle forward and attemped to take off.

How exactly did this flight crew do everything they could to provide fully due care and concern to the aircraft and the souls on board?

If the facts reported so far are correct who's fault should the public be viewing this accident as?

Just curious.

I'm referring to the crew doing everything they could to get the airplane off the ground, once they realized what was happening. There is no doubt these pilots made a mistake. I used the wrong word when I said, "negligence", and wasn't referring to the idea they somehow did this on purpose. But, pilot error is to blame, and that does seem evident now. The reason for the error is what really needs to be looked into. Lack of rest, stress, poor signage, lack of an updated airport diagram, etc.

I think a few things that need to change as a result of this accident;

1) ATC should now be required to keep an eye on, and watch each aircraft they give clearance to, takeoff, and land. UNLESS tower obtructions somewhow prohibit view of the runway. In this case, someothing should be looked into as far as cameras put in those places, with monitors on the tower, or something, so there are no "blind" spots. This may be an issue at busier airports, but maybe that is a reason for staffing more ATCers.

2) No clearances should be asked for by the pilots, or given by ATC until the aircraft has come to a stop at the hold short line of the runway, and ATC verifies they are stopped at the correct runway assigned for departure. No more takeoff clearances given while still taxiing, or even still at the gate.

3) This would be an airline thing, but pilots should be required to taxi onto and position the plane on the runway for departure, but come to a stop, verify the heading indicator indicates they are on the correct runway, before blasting off.

That is three things to go through, all of which are simple, having to be missed, in order for this to happen again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back