• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Apology

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Careless and wreckless would imply that they Knowlingly did something to jepordize safety. I agree with ohplease (did i just say that?), this is a series of mistakes, nothing so far leads me to believe that they intentionally wanted to use runway 26.

wmuflyguy said:
Careless and wreckless would imply that they Knowlingly did something to jepordize safety. I agree with ohplease (did i just say that?), this is a series of mistakes, nothing so far leads me to believe that they intentionally wanted to use runway 26.
and it didn't even hurt. did it?:)

acaTerry said:
Hey CatYaak,

I got pretty darn sick here. I have responses for you but you'll have to wait a few days to get them OK?

I'm not a good thread searcher so if this thread is a few pages back I'll just PM you if that works.

Bummer, I hope it's not serious. Get well.

wmuflyguy said:
No, if they intentionally took runway 26 then it would be criminal intent with manslaughter and the FO would get jail time. The correct phrase is they commited a series of mistakes resulting from careless and wreckless operation of an aircraft. Did you know that in the morning they even got on the wrong aircraft because it was the first they saw. A rampy had to direct them to the proper aircraft.

YourPilotFriend said:
A rampy had to direct them to the proper aircraft.

Oh good Lord, like that's news. You walk onto the ramp with several planes sitting there, usually without a release telling you which aircraft you're in, and stuff like this happens every now and then. I know it's happened to me. I can't believe you even brought this up.

YourPilotFriend said:
Did you know that in the morning they even got on the wrong aircraft because it was the first they saw. A rampy had to direct them to the proper aircraft.

That happens all the time. Usually the crew are set-up to do this by the local operations. It isn't what you think.

It's just another day at a regional airline, so stop flaming.

YourPilotFriend said:
No, if they intentionally took runway 26 then it would be criminal intent with manslaughter and the FO would get jail time. The correct phrase is they commited a series of mistakes resulting from careless and wreckless operation of an aircraft. Did you know that in the morning they even got on the wrong aircraft because it was the first they saw. A rampy had to direct them to the proper aircraft.

Yeah, a real "pilots' friend." :rolleyes: What a waste of skin.

YourPilotFriend said:

You don't know yet if they were careless or reckless. You have no idea what led tham to that runway, no one does yet.

As for getting on the wrong airplane, it has happened to me. We were told by the gate agent that ship number XXXX, was going to <insert city here>. After pre-flighting, the ramper brings up the flight release and the ship number is different, it is the other airplane on the ramp.

So getting on the wrong plane is definately not careless.

Last edited:
CatYaaak said:
Emergency room doctors work long hectic nights for little $$ while deep in debt after paying years of dues under less-than-perfect conditions and equipment. If one mistakedly cuts out the liver of your loved one with fatal results instead of just removing the spleen that ruptured in the car crash, will you say "Doctor, that's ok I didnt understand your personal issues"?

Everybody has to deal with stress in their job. My parents work in the medical field, and I can attest to the stress medical professionals deal with on a daily basis, especially doctors and nurses. One mistake people make is thinking doctors make tons of money. They do well, but many do not make anymore than the typical major captain, or even FO at some airlines. They are also typically in large amounts of debt, well more than the typical ERAU student, when they (the doctor) does finally graduate medical school, 10 years later. In fact, many doctors their first few years, especially as an intern, make very little money, and work very, very long hours, sometimes 36 hours straight. Not to mention the large amount of money they spend on malpractice insurance ever year.

I think regional FOs deserve more money than they typically make. But, regardless of what kind of money you are making, you are hired to provide safe air travel. Several years ago when upgrades were running 1-2 years, I don't think FOs at the regional level complained as much about their pay. But now, with it taking 4 to 5 years at some regional to get captain pay, I think the regionals do need to look into pay raises, for all, but especially FOs.

It has been proven that the CA had 28 in LEX before his flight out that morning.

This is absolutely untrue. The CA deadheaded in Saturday afternoon. The FO and FA had 27 hrs in LEX. However, the amount of rest they had Saturday night means much less to me than what they did the previous few days.

Regarding the fatigue factor, it sounds like the company/NTSB is finally starting to release some information, although only that which casts them in a positive light, i.e. the crew had plenty of rest.

Let me throw out a couple of scenarios that are quite likely and ask you if you would be at top mental condition.

1. The FO and FA worked 14+ hrs on Friday, starting at 1100, ending at 0200 Saturday. This means to me that their bodies are adjusted to getting up around 0800-1000. Is it reasonable to ask somebody to work a 1200-0200 shift, followed by a 0500-1900, if they've had plenty of "rest" in between? Do you think people can sleep on demand? Do you think working 14+ hrs for days at a time might wear on your mental capacity?

2. The CA may well have been on a reserve window of 0000-1400. He may have been on duty for 15.5 hrs by the time he deadheaded in to LEX Saturday afternoon. Is it reasonable to expect him to go to sleep that night around the same time he had to wake up for work the night before?

I'm not saying this is what happened, but both scenarios are very common at Comair and most regionals. The FAA says it is safe.

Latest resources

Back