• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA's response to AA's union busting tactics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The suicide thing I do believe went a bit too far and will be percieved as over-the-top rhetoric, and badly done at that.

But the fact does remain that mental health issues among pilots right now are at a historically astronomical level. We had a 1 hour class at recurrent training devoted 100% to the Employee assist program, EAP... the folks who deal with alcohol, drug abuse, and mental health. It is a big emphasis item right now. They told us diagnosed depression is at an all-time high, to seek help ASAP, and to recognize that it is a brain chemistry issue. Pilots being supermen to not like to admit to any weakness.

Guys that were borderline pre 9-11 have been pushed over the edge, and are seeking help - which grounds them, of course.

I attended an ALPA meeting early this year that included a presentation by the head of ALPA Aeromedical, Doctor Don Hudson. He and the rest of his staff keep very close track of the rates of suicide, alcoholism, depression, etc... among air line pilots. He was incredibly concerned as to the rise in rates of these various mental health issues. He said that he's never seen anything like it before. To dismiss the APA's assertions on this issue would be unwise. They aren't bullsh*&ing everyone. They're absolutely right about what's happening among pilots.

I believe the proper name is "Share Me Front and back"... and yes I miss it too.

Fortunately (for my liver), I had an early departure yesterday and retired early. The pool was fixin' to heat up when we left... :(

On topic: AMR brought this on themselves. Lucy jerked the football away once too often. All management had to do was hold off on their bonuses for a year or two and they would have had a favorable deal. AMR blew their chance to change the culture at AA.

A comparison I frequently make (too frequently for many) is that in 1988, a TWA DC-9 Capt. made $90/hr. This was the rate negotiated under pressure with Icahn. (Sorry, Frank, he beat you to it. ;) ) It was WAY below industry standard.

Today's AA S80 CA rate is $154/hr. Care to guess what that would be in 1988 dollars? Yeah, $90. So AA, at the top of the legacy pay scale is working for Carl Icahn pay. (Does that give any NW, UA, U or DL people any warm-fuzzies?)

So, yes, it's time to start raising the bar and it just so happens that APA is in the best position of the legacies to do so. TC

Not to get too much into politics but wasn't it Clinton who ordered the AMR pilots back to work in 97 but Bush who did nothing to stop the nearly 3 month Comair strike in 2001.

Yes and yes.

At Comair, we didn't expect Bush to intervene. It's ironic, however, that the only Democrat in the Bush cabinet was DOT Secretary Mineta. He did get involved, brought the parties to the table,and an agreement was reached.

It was also Clinton who "influenced" Bob Crandall and AA to accept binding arbitration bringing the 93 F/A strike against AA to a halt after 5 days.

Fly safe and good luck, APA!

Guys,

APA National is trying to expose AMR’s hard stance on our sick leave over the last three years. It’s nothing more than pilot pushing. It’s wrong and it’s dangerous. Our VP of flight, Captain Mark Hettermann (I use the term Captain very loosely) is absolutely obsessed with trying to reduce our sick leave usage.

This hard stance in turn has forced pilots to now to fly sick and tired. Management has especially taken a hard stance on sick occurrences over 30 days. The policy has affected guys on long-term sick. As you know, the FAA does not allow pilots to fly on anti-depressants. This is probably why we are seeing such an increase in pilot suicide rates.

For all of you that don’t like what APA had to say in the letter about the suicide rate, what do you want us to do -- hide it?

AA767AV8TOR

A comparison I frequently make (too frequently for many) is that in 1988, a TWA DC-9 Capt. made $90/hr. This was the rate negotiated under pressure with Icahn. (Sorry, Frank, he beat you to it. ;) ) It was WAY below industry standard.

Carl is and was a visionary. A true pioneer in the field of airline employee sodomy. I have a small makeshift shrine dedicated to him in my office. After reading your post, I think I am going to go over and light another candle at the shrine, and say a small prayer for executive bonuses, industry consolidation, and employee concessions.

I must say that I am truly impressed by some of the posts here about the management at AMR however. I think Arper may be the real deal. I am going to sneek in to his office when he is napping to comb carefully through his hair to see if there is a "666" anywhere under his hair.

I have high hopes.

$158.88/hr, effective 5/1/07...$161/hr eff 5/1/08. but I like the way you think, selling it short!

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on CA pay rates... :( TC

Not to get too much into politics but wasn't it Clinton who ordered the AMR pilots back to work in 97 but Bush who did nothing to stop the nearly 3 month Comair strike in 2001.

Just to give everyone a little history clarification, Clinton "ordered" the PEB, but the fact was APA President Jim Sovich, (a worthless, junior pilot sodomizing P.O.S.), ASKED Clinton for the PEB.
He was witnessed calling Clinton's Chief of Staff ,Bruce Lindsey, at the beginning of the strike, speeding dialing as a matter of fact.
How else could a midnight strike be ended in 20 minutes?

That night of the strike in 1996, APA was as unified as it could get. Sovich gutted our momentum and brought us a TA that gave up the RJ's (f-ing the entire industry) and kept a 7 year B-Scale (3 or none was the standard at the time).

We will get a PEB for sure this time with Bush, but everyone will stand fast and be ready for it this time.

When do you feel a contract will be reached?

I know it is amendable in May 2008, but are we looking at 2010 before we see how unfied APA is?

Latest resources

Back