APA caves on Scope issues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

601Pilot

And you wonder why everything is going downhill! Nice going APA!

601Pilot
------------------------------

American Execs And Pilots Resolve Chautauqua Dispute
Aviation Daily
x.gif
10/25/2004
American's pilots agreed to drop their argument that Chautauqua's Embraer 170 flights violate the pilot contract if flying transfers to Chautauqua's sister carrier, Republic Airlines, within 180 days.
Certification delays for Republic Airlines forced its parent company, Republic Airways Holdings, to shift the flights to Chautauqua. American pilots claimed the move violated the portion of their contract that limits AmericanConnection carriers to using 50-seat planes. Chautauqua flies as AmericanConnection from St. Louis.
American's pilots, represented by the Allied Pilots Association (APA), and management reached an accord late last week that lets Chautauqua fly the jets for 180 days. Management must pay APA a daily penalty during that time totaling about $500,000. If Chautauqua flies the jets beyond 180 days, the daily penalty is about $30,000.
"Under the terms of the letter of agreement (LOA), management acknowledges that operation of 70-seat aircraft by a commuter carrier would violate the APA-AA collective bargaining agreement," APA said.
American's management also has to secure agreements with Trans States Airlines and Chautauqua banning those carriers from flying aircraft that don't comply with the scope clause in its contract with APA. Pilots and management are signing an agreement that ensures any future accord with an AmericanConnection carrier stipulates those airlines cannot fly jets not allowed under scope.

Where's the $500,000 going?

The PDP wants it for their strike fund... :rolleyes: TC

Too bad AMR didn't put that scope restriction in the Chautauqa contract. If I am not mistaken, to cancel the CHQ contract (without cause) AMR would have had to eat the 140s and deal with the other financial consequences of breaking their agreement. Or they could pay off the APA because some lawyer screwed up. You tell me what was cheaper.

I wonder if the APA is going to send any of that $500K to their furloughed brothers and sisters... :rolleyes:

I am sure that they will make sure that the $500,000 goes to the senior pilot group instead of the furloughed pilots. The senior pilots are always taken care of first.

WyoHerkdriver said:
I am sure that they will make sure that the $500,000 goes to the senior pilot group instead of the furloughed pilots. The senior pilots are always taken care of first.
Rest assured... it's either gonna go to the senior guys or they'll find some way to squander it off to management in exchange for some empty promise.

Modus operandi, alive and well at the APA!

aa73 "hittin the streets in a couple months"

The APA is a ball of spineless *&$&# heads!!! I am ashamed to be represented by these idiots. I've never seen a "union" as week a spineless as this bunch of meatheads.

Last edited:
$500K is chump change vs. $23.6 million

The APA was awarded over $23 million for maintaining and expanding the contract with non Eagle commuter airlines out of STL. This was the feed for TWA that was already in place. The TWA LLC flying was greatly reduced while the contract commuter flying was increased. This was in violation of the contract between the APA and American. The most pain was felt by the former TWA/AA pilots that flew out of STL, myself included. The APA received the $23 + million for violating the contract and I gaurantee the pilots that were effected the most won't see a penny of it.

I found horse sh!t in my Christmas stocking the last two years and expect more of the same for many years to come, but still, I continue to look for that pony! I am getting tired of making lemonaid.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it.

aa73 "hittin the streets in a couple months"[/QUOTE]

We'll save you a spot on the corner, where we've been hangin' out.

Still no worries.

aa73 said:
aa73 "hittin the streets in a couple months"

Looks like I deleted too much.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back