Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone seen that new SWA TV commercial about pulling over a plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General, you really show your arrogance and ignorance with statements like this. Seat for seat, year for year Southwest pilots make more. Add in the fact that we can work as much as we want to, and it blows Delta earning potential out of the water...it's not even close. Live with it.

As far as profit sharing (which you haven't seen in many, many years), Southwest has been depositing checks in employee accounts every year consistantly. Some as high as 14% of their annual pay.

Delta..not so much.

Come back with facts General.

Huh? At Southwest you can fly as much as you want (and as many legs as possible), but you can't move from plane to plane, which can limit your eventual potential. At a normal legacy, you can MOVE UP to larger planes and even make more money, or you can stay senior on one plane type and go for greenslips, which are awarded to the senior folk. It's called OPTIONS. Your options---do I want to fly to ELP for a layover, or ISP?

And Seat for Seat you make more currently, but that hasn't always been the case. The amount moves up or down according to the contract, and with stronger outlooks and profits, that will soon change. When it does, what will be your defense? "Ummm, well, we fly to LBB and you don't...." You will ALWAYS win on that one. Good for you. Your lack of variety is your achilles heal, though, and you know it. Oh that's right, you don't care about layovers....riiiiight.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Huh? At Southwest you can fly as much as you want (and as many legs as possible), but you can't move from plane to plane, which can limit your eventual potential. At a normal legacy, you can MOVE UP to larger planes and even make more money, or you can stay senior on one plane type and go for greenslips, which are awarded to the senior folk. It's called OPTIONS. Your options---do I want to fly to ELP for a layover, or ISP?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wait! Last time I saw the Pay Rates a Senior Capt. at SWA made more money then a Senior 777 Captain at Delta. So why would SWA Pilots worry about what there flying. I am wrong, or isn't it all about the paycheck???? Hell I'd fly a C-150 if someone paid me enough.

In all honesty GL I think we will soon go to a Seniority Base Pay. It won't matter what you fly. Your years of service will dictate your pay. I think many of the European Airlines do this along with UPS..... And we eventually seem to follow there lead.

Ya'all just keep tellin' yourselves it ain't workin'....yeehaw

Airline stocks dip as passenger demand softens

BY MarketWatch
— 10:50 AM ET 09/07/2010
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Airline stocks dipped Tuesday at the start of the industry's slowest travel period.
The NYSE Arca Airline Index fell 1.3% to 30.25 points, with all but three of its 13 components trading lower. The sector benchmark is virtually flat compared with the end of July, as investors weigh potentially softer demand from cooling economic growth.
"Year-over-year [unit revenue] trends are tracking down sequentially as we enter the fall season and approach tougher [comparisons]," according to a note from Majestic Research.
Shares of American Airlines parent AMR Corp. (AMR) lost 4%, Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) declined 3.5%, and Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL) slipped 2 cents.
U.S.-listed shares of Gol Linhas were flat, while Tam Sa added 1% and Lan Airlines Sa (LFL) jumped nearly 2%.
Airlines began to post their August traffic results last week, with most of the data indicating rising capacity, which could crimp operators' ability to hike ticket prices.
"While [all] of the legacy carriers have been conservative with their capacity plans over the past year and a half ... there is a substantial risk and historical tendency for the carriers to add too much capacity before the market can handle it, which could put [ticket] prices under pressure," said Majestic Research.
September is typically one of the industry's weakest months for demand, as the summer travel season ends with the Labor Day holiday.
Late Friday, American Airlines said its traffic, a measure of demand, rose 3.1%, but its seat capacity increased by 3.2%.
That lowered the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier's load factor, or the percentage of seats filled with passengers, to 84.6% from 84.7% a year ago.
More seats for fewer passengers typically translate into lower airfare and less unit revenue.
US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) said its consolidated traffic climbed 0.8% in August, while seat capacity rose 1.2%. That allowed the airline's load factor to slide 0.3 percentage point to 84.7%.
Unit revenue, which reflects ticket prices, rose about 15%, just slightly below the 16% year-over-year growth in July.
"For the most part, traffic changes appear to be in line with previous guidance, and unit revenue is still up double digits," said Dahlman Rose & Co. analyst Helane Becker, in a note to investors.
Delta (DAL) said its system traffic increased 1.1%, while its seat capacity rose 1.2%, leaving the Atlanta carrier's load factor flat at 86.5%.
Like American Airlines, Delta (DAL) did not release monthly unit-revenue results.
Continental (CAL) kicked off the industry's monthly traffic reports Wednesday, posting a 0.4% increase in August traffic while reducing seat capacity by 1.1%. The Houston-based carrier's load factor climbed 0.7 percentage point to 86.5%. Unit revenue increased an estimated 18% or 19% from a year ago, though that was still below July's estimated growth of 20.5% to 21.5%.
Continental (CAL) may soon see new capacity growth, albeit on the carrier's more profitable international routes. On Friday, the company said it would recall all 147 furloughed pilots over the next 18 months. .
United Airlines (UAUA) parent UAL Corp. (UAUA) will release its monthly report later.
Elsewhere, Orlando-based AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI) said its AirTran Airways subsidiary saw August traffic climb 1.7%. Capacity rose 2.1%, leading to a 0.4 percentage-point decline in load factor.

----------------

Southwest Airlines sees August demand growth[/B][/B]

BY MarketWatch
— 9:06 AM ET 09/08/2010
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) said Wednesday its total August traffic rose 6.4% to more than 7.12 billion revenue passenger miles from 6.69 billion revenue passenger miles a year ago. A revenue passenger mile is equal to one passenger flown one mile. Total August capacity rose 3.7% to 8.65 billion available seat miles from a year ago. Load factor, or the percentage of available seats filled with passengers, in August rose to 82.3% from 80.2% last year. During the recent month, unit revenue rose an estimated 15% to 16%. (Adds unit revenue).

----------

That's more than double anybody else.....in this economy General

Last edited:
Did anyone catch the SWA commercial where they change the tire and the comment one pilot makes about flying "15000 flights per year"? Now I know it is a joke but kind of ironic coming from SWA pilot(s), the original work for less, PFT, no pension, fly 1000 hr/year under cutters.

I have to ask, how many this board who were SWA qualified (met their mins) prior to 911 (remember when all the career majors like DAL/UAL/AA were hiring) actually applied there? I remember the pages from my 1997 Air Ink salary data for DAL/AAA/AA/UAL were worn thin but the SWA and AWA pages were fingerprint free.

Now the post 911 puppy mill (and MIL) guys think a career at SWA/AT/JB is all the rage.

Just out of curiousity, how much are you making as a 190FO? Seems like a pretty lucrative gig.

Wait! Last time I saw the Pay Rates a Senior Capt. at SWA made more money then a Senior 777 Captain at Delta. So why would SWA Pilots worry about what there flying. I am wrong, or isn't it all about the paycheck???? Hell I'd fly a C-150 if someone paid me enough.

Well, you are probably bored out of your gord flying your Dashs around the SE or NE, so maybe it would interest you? And, do you really think the pay will always be the same? Don't you think legacies will regain the top spot? I bet they will, and soon, and then what will the LCCs have to brag about? Not much, especially their layovers or multiple leg days.

Bye Bye--General Lee

In all honesty GL I think we will soon go to a Seniority Base Pay. It won't matter what you fly. Your years of service will dictate your pay. I think many of the European Airlines do this along with UPS..... And we eventually seem to follow there lead.

But you gotta have variety in your life, or it will lead to boredom. If a job turns into a "job", then complacency can lead in too. No thanks for that.

And, some legacy pilot unions have their managements in a corner right now due to mergers and Wall St pressure for clean ones. So, do you think they will start below SWA's Capt rate for the 737? That is the new benchmark, for the 737 at the legacies, not the 777s. Make sense? Big paydays are coming.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Ya'all just keep tellin' yourselves it ain't workin'....yeehaw

Airline stocks dip as passenger demand softens

BY MarketWatch
— 10:50 AM ET 09/07/2010
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Airline stocks dipped Tuesday at the start of the industry's slowest travel period.
The NYSE Arca Airline Index fell 1.3% to 30.25 points, with all but three of its 13 components trading lower. The sector benchmark is virtually flat compared with the end of July, as investors weigh potentially softer demand from cooling economic growth.
"Year-over-year [unit revenue] trends are tracking down sequentially as we enter the fall season and approach tougher [comparisons]," according to a note from Majestic Research.
Shares of American Airlines parent AMR Corp. (AMR) lost 4%, Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) declined 3.5%, and Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL) slipped 2 cents.
U.S.-listed shares of Gol Linhas were flat, while Tam Sa added 1% and Lan Airlines Sa (LFL) jumped nearly 2%.
Airlines began to post their August traffic results last week, with most of the data indicating rising capacity, which could crimp operators' ability to hike ticket prices.
"While [all] of the legacy carriers have been conservative with their capacity plans over the past year and a half ... there is a substantial risk and historical tendency for the carriers to add too much capacity before the market can handle it, which could put [ticket] prices under pressure," said Majestic Research.
September is typically one of the industry's weakest months for demand, as the summer travel season ends with the Labor Day holiday.
Late Friday, American Airlines said its traffic, a measure of demand, rose 3.1%, but its seat capacity increased by 3.2%.
That lowered the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier's load factor, or the percentage of seats filled with passengers, to 84.6% from 84.7% a year ago.
More seats for fewer passengers typically translate into lower airfare and less unit revenue.
US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) said its consolidated traffic climbed 0.8% in August, while seat capacity rose 1.2%. That allowed the airline's load factor to slide 0.3 percentage point to 84.7%.
Unit revenue, which reflects ticket prices, rose about 15%, just slightly below the 16% year-over-year growth in July.
"For the most part, traffic changes appear to be in line with previous guidance, and unit revenue is still up double digits," said Dahlman Rose & Co. analyst Helane Becker, in a note to investors.
Delta (DAL) said its system traffic increased 1.1%, while its seat capacity rose 1.2%, leaving the Atlanta carrier's load factor flat at 86.5%.
Like American Airlines, Delta (DAL) did not release monthly unit-revenue results.
Continental (CAL) kicked off the industry's monthly traffic reports Wednesday, posting a 0.4% increase in August traffic while reducing seat capacity by 1.1%. The Houston-based carrier's load factor climbed 0.7 percentage point to 86.5%. Unit revenue increased an estimated 18% or 19% from a year ago, though that was still below July's estimated growth of 20.5% to 21.5%.
Continental (CAL) may soon see new capacity growth, albeit on the carrier's more profitable international routes. On Friday, the company said it would recall all 147 furloughed pilots over the next 18 months. .
United Airlines (UAUA) parent UAL Corp. (UAUA) will release its monthly report later.
Elsewhere, Orlando-based AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI) said its AirTran Airways subsidiary saw August traffic climb 1.7%. Capacity rose 2.1%, leading to a 0.4 percentage-point decline in load factor.

----------------

Southwest Airlines sees August demand growth[/B][/B]

BY MarketWatch
— 9:06 AM ET 09/08/2010
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) said Wednesday its total August traffic rose 6.4% to more than 7.12 billion revenue passenger miles from 6.69 billion revenue passenger miles a year ago. A revenue passenger mile is equal to one passenger flown one mile. Total August capacity rose 3.7% to 8.65 billion available seat miles from a year ago. Load factor, or the percentage of available seats filled with passengers, in August rose to 82.3% from 80.2% last year. During the recent month, unit revenue rose an estimated 15% to 16%. (Adds unit revenue).

----------

That's more than double anybody else.....in this economy General

Yeah, I guess a load factor of 86.5% isn't good enough for Delta, along with the bag fees......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey GL,

That commercial was filmed at MDW, and guess what ......................................................... The Airbus in the commercial is a Delta Airbus. I'm sure they we're on their way to Amsterdam, you know, since all of Delta's domestic flying is accomplished by regional jets.

Latest resources

Back