Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ToiletDuck

Ninja
Did anyone see the newsclip today of the C-5 taking off with supplies in it to try and help that Russian crew? My friend and I were freaking out. The reporters and everyone didn't notice but it didn't even start to rotate until the thousand foot markers and went wheels up with about 300ft left. Pretty interesting.

ToiletDuck said:
Did anyone see the newsclip today of the C-5 taking off with supplies in it to try and help that Russian crew? My friend and I were freaking out. The reporters and everyone didn't notice but it didn't even start to rotate until the thousand foot markers and went wheels up with about 300ft left. Pretty interesting.

So? Chances are they were way beyond V1(takeoff decision speed), so regardless of what went wrong, they were going flying.....they just elected to keep it on the runway longer to allow it to accelerate more(and more quickly) without the induced drag. On short runways(especially with warm weather), it's not abnormal to keep a jet on the runway until well beyond V1. When you're right on the jagged edge, let it accelerate on the ground...where it will accelerate faster than if it's struggling to climb.

ever see that video of the fighter jet trying do to a go around but couldnt cause of induced drag? correct me if im wrong but isnt induced drag more <whats the word im looking for here> in jets than it is piston props?

Kream926 said:
correct me if im wrong but isnt induced drag more <whats the word im looking for here> in jets than it is piston props?

A jet, immediately after takeoff, is flying relatively close to its stall speed....which means the wing has to create a lot of lift with a little airspeed....which puts it in a similar situation as a straight wing plane flying just a couple knots above a stall. A big difference between a jet and a prop is that a prop plane(except pusher props) can induce airflow over the wings(by increasing power) and keep the airplane flying at a lower speed simply due to the airflow that the prop pushes over it. Make sense? I've been drinking...so it probably doesn't. Think of it this way. A prop driven plane has a lower stall speed power on than it does power off...same thing.

Depending on the priority of the mission, certain things can be waivered such as all 4 engines operating, balanced field length, 3 engine climb, etc.

ToiletDuck said:

Ah yes the dreaded 8,000 foot take off from a sea level field, those cargo hot shots have it rough......

Latest resources

Back