Anyone see that news clip?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
So whats the big deal? What is so interesting?

I'm guessing you didn't see it then. It was pretty cool.

As far as a C5 pilot know's what he's doing. I talked to one just this week who said the C5 was the 3rd plane he had ever flown. He learned in a 172, got his multi in a Baron, then moved into the C5 and has been flying it for about 3 yrs now.

ToiletDuck said:

As far as a C5 pilot know's what he's doing. I talked to one just this week who said the C5 was the 3rd plane he had ever flown. He learned in a 172, got his multi in a Baron, then moved into the C5 and has been flying it for about 3 yrs now.
When I was going to 141 flight school, I was enrolled at a private gym. At the gym, I worked out with this United guy, who came strictly from the military ranks. He told me that little planes, like the ones I was flying at flight school, didn't need flaps. He also told me that little planes were inherently dangerous, because of all the airline pilots that he knew that died flying them on their off duty time.

LearLove said:
I think thats a F-100 in the video your talking about. The footage of that was used in the movie "the hunters" (and maybe some other movies) where they were flying 86's. Its all "george" you know.

Could have been, but the F-100 was called the "Super Sabre", no?

~DC

ToiletDuck said:

You just described they vast majority of heavy jets flying international. Someone stated earlier that you just described the vast majority of S-80's taking off from LGA. That is very true. I dont know how many times I have been flying the S-80 only to be rotating the aircraft with only about 1000 feet of runway left. It is times like this that you better respect and adhere to V1 very very carefully.

ToiletDuck said:
The reporters and everyone didn't notice but it didn't even start to rotate until the thousand foot markers and went wheels up with about 300ft left. Pretty interesting.

WOW, a normal takeoff in a C-5 carrying a full load going a very long distance.
What would the reporters notice or comment on? Balanced field lengths and minumum segment climb gradients?

Dangerkitty said:
You just described they vast majority of heavy jets flying international. Someone stated earlier that you just described the vast majority of S-80's taking off from LGA. That is very true. I dont know how many times I have been flying the S-80 only to be rotating the aircraft with only about 1000 feet of runway left. It is times like this that you better respect and adhere to V1 very very carefully.
I can't remember what airport we departed from, but I was on a larger twin engine airliner...possibly American Airlines...headed out to the John Wayne airport on the west coast. It was a pretty long flight and it was packed. When the aircraft rotated, that was pretty much the end of the runway. I had about 3,000 hours at the time with about 200 multi, most of which was in turbocharged 300 series Cessna. Seeing the runway end go by after rotation was pretty startling.

FN FAL said:
I can't remember what airport we departed from, but I was on a larger twin engine airliner...possibly American Airlines...headed out to the John Wayne airport on the west coast. It was a pretty long flight and it was packed. When the aircraft rotated, that was pretty much the end of the runway. I had about 3,000 hours at the time with about 200 multi, most of which was in turbocharged 300 series Cessna. Seeing the runway end go by after rotation was pretty startling.

A 195,000 lb Boeing 727 taking off from SFO is not any better. You get to see the runway numbers at both ends.
~DC

Dangerkitty said:
WOW, a normal takeoff in a C-5 carrying a full load going a very long distance.
What would the reporters notice or comment on? Balanced field lengths and minumum segment climb gradients?

Well i've watched a couple hundred C5 takeoffs on an 8k strip and I've never seen one takeoff like that. They fly in and out of here all the time and I've yet to see one cut it anywhere near that close. So when I saw one take off completely different than all the rest I've seen up close then it didn't appear to be a normal takeoff.

Why be the jerk. Just don't comment.

ToiletDuck said:
Well i've watched a couple hundred C5 takeoffs on an 8k strip and I've never seen one takeoff like that. They fly in and out of here all the time and I've yet to see one cut it anywhere near that close. So when I saw one take off completely different than all the rest I've seen up close then it didn't appear to be a normal takeoff.

Why be the jerk. Just don't comment.

You dont get it do you? You are basically being made fun of since you started this thread.

You come on here and allude to the fact that since it had such a long takeoff roll then it must have had a problem. Instead, why don't you come on here and ASK C-5 pilots if such a takeoff is normal. Just because it doesn't look normal to you doesn't make it so.

Furthermore you then state how you can't believe the reporters weren't commenting on the long takeoff roll. Do we really want to get the press involved in evaluating the takeoff of a professional C-5 crew. The press can't get even the most simple aviation concepts correct. I would hate for them to get involved in balanced field lengths, V1 speeds, second segment climb gradients, and all those other concepts that you have no clue about.

I'm simply stating that I've seen tons of C-5 takeoffs of which none looked like what I saw on TV. And I thought it was a cool sight and wanted to know if anyone else has seen it. If it's not cool to you then that's fine. I didn't post anything to talk about aircraft performances I just thought it was an awesome sight seeing something so big use the entire runway. Secondly I'm not talking about any of that crap you are so stuff it. It was a cool takeoff. How many C5's have you watched? As I've stated I've seen tons and never seen one do that so it was abnormal to me. And FYI I am plenty familiar with those concepts. Just because you fly a small lear doesn't make you god. It was just a cool sight so leave it at that. Good God.

Latest resources

Back