Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone has training contract and what type!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

limodriver1

Hi!

My company is planning to make us sign training contract.

Briefly in this contract you are never free to leave, you always own money!

Tell me what kind of contract you have, how many years, how much, is it pro rated? All the information is helpfull! We have lears, Hawkers, Gulfstreams, Challengers and few helicopters.

Also pay sucks too.

limodriver1 said:
Hi!

Tell me what kind of contract you have, how many years, how much, is it pro rated? All the information is helpfull! We have lears, Hawkers, Gulfstreams, Challengers and few helicopters.

Also pay sucks too.
At the last company I worked, they wanted one of the jet capts to sign a contract each year for annual (91) recurrency. This would have given him about a 1-month time frame each year to get a new job w/out owing money. He told them to FOAD, but in a polite way.

I did a contract in a turboprop; only a couple grand and for only a year, and did not have to sign again for upgrade (no type on that a/c).

My understanding is they can hold you to the contract if they pay for a type. If the contract is only for flight time, ie Pt 91 proficiency; 135 training req's; it's a lot harder to get the money.

It also depends on the company. Some will go after you even if you only owe a week or two. (Yes, it's true!) It sounds like you may be at one of those companies. You have my pity.

You weren't clear in your post, but are they proposing to have you sign a contract some time after the fact? If so, you would be a fool to do so. Politely refuse if this is the case. If being polite doesn't work, tell 'em to FOAD.

There's a lot of operators out there looking for legally-indentured servants.

Good luck,

C

PS: I should have prefaced with this: If a company, even a low-baller, types you in an a/c, you should be willing to work out the contract or buy it out. Nothing is more irritating than someone who gets typed and bails a month later to a better job.

Last edited:
Corona said:
PS: I should have prefaced with this: If a company, even a low-baller, types you in an a/c, you should be willing to work out the contract or buy it out. Nothing is more irritating than someone who gets typed and bails a month later to a better job.

That's true...however....these companies that want to train (type) a pilot and then expect them to be paid far below industry standard do it to themselves.

limodriver1 said:
Hi!

Also pay sucks too.
A CJ, 300/350 type required a year contract at my former company. The kicker was we had inhouse training and authorization for the 300/350 type so costs were minimal. I wouldn't give anymore than a 1 year commitment if it were me and I would even give serious thought to that amount of time. I had to delay a class date twice due to being stuck in a contract which is no joy.

Anything over a year in my opinion is excessive... Also check your state laws, some states you can get out of the training contract since legally the company cannot go after you for the costs.

3 5 0

limodriver1 said:
they are proposing five year contract and even after 5 years you not free!
I would not walk I would run, five years is insane in my opinion. I learned the hard way with a 1 year contract, couldn't imagine being locked down for five years.

good luck,

3 5 0

I would run to America west ,but dont know anyone there

And after that five years you are still not free you need to pay, I think it was 25%!

I would run to america west but dont know anyone there!

thanks

mAYBE YOU CAN HELP

limodriver1 said:
they are proposing five year contract and even after 5 years you not free!
Dude, 5 year contract and the pay sucks....

Hmmmm, please let us all know where NOT to send a resume to.

Sounds like a realy fine and proffesional outfit.
Tell them to go outside and play hide and go f*ck themself.

1 year is what I had to do; and that is for getting trained on 2 aircraft (jet & turboprop) both initials for me, 1 at FS and the other one at Simuflight.

I think that is very reasonable and the pay doesn't even suck.

Our contract for a hs125 type is for 2.5 years, it sucks. I don't recall the exact amount but it's something like twenty grand. The amount of the promisary note is deducted on a monthly installment basis. Besides the 5 700's and an XP we also have a Bae1000 and if a type is received in that another year is added to the contract.

I don't know if it's worth it, but I don't really have an option. It's either this job or the regionals, and this job offers more in a lot of ways. We have had a pilot leave for a regional and the contract was vigorously enforced.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back