Anyone got the latest at Kalitta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Training is backed up right now..

You may sit home for as little as a few days, but more than likely it will be between a week and a month. And I have heard of guys that don't start for over a month. That's fairly common though when company's are expanding quickly. The term bottle necked is exactly what they, and many others are running up against. Anyhow, anyone who's willing to sign on and put up with some of the growing pains of a company in negotiations. Will probably be happy to hang your hat here, as long as, you keep the above in mind. Things aren't perfect here, but our MEC, and other union representatives have recently changed. I for one remain cautiously optimistic for a blue book, or better contract. But that's going to take a good deal more work at the negotiating table. My guess is the hiring will continue come January of 06. So, if your interested in Kalitta, then keep your name in the hat so to speak, and best of luck!

Nice folks

Training is backed up right now..

Yes, this is true.

I interviewed on Saturday (Aug 27). They confirmed they have 65 crews NOW, and NEED 110 crews NOW (NOT including future growth).

We had 12 or so people at the interview, and it was a smattering of various backgrounds (commuter, current widebody, ex-military, etc).

Ground school is 5 wks at YIP, with sims at either UAL's sims in DEN or at Aeroservices in MIA. There's UP TO a month wait before IOE, but they are looking for more check airmen, so upcoming folks in classes could go non-stop for 90 days (only a few, though).

Pay is somewhat low, but lots of hours to fly, upgrade to Captain is quick (12-24 months) and when TA is approved, it'll be more pay and hopefully better scheduling. They home base you, and when they don't buy your ticket to get to/from home, they have LOTS of jumpseat agreements, and will soon on with CASS.

VERY friendly folks, and interview is VERY straight forward. Sim was fairly simple, and interview question was: "what do you know about Kalitta."

Good luck!

but no class dates?

What's the age of new new-hires been? I've been trying to get an interview for about 8 months now by calling once a month, stopping by occasionally and having friends walk in my resume.

got a notice for the next class 9-12, so that must bet the next class date. And who said Kalitta does not hire USA Jet pilots

What's the age of new new-hires been?

Most of them were in their 40s, although they had some young whipper-snappers in their 30s. I honestly don't think I saw a common thread, as far as age or background, in the group. Some Part 121 Commuter pilots, some cargo pilots, some military....

I do know the interviewers prefer "international widebody" experience, although they noted to me that not everyone they're looking to hire has it. They do seem to want a variety of backgrounds, as best as I could tell.

A resume submitted by either your chief pilot or someone who already works there seems to help a lot (naturally).

got a notice for the next class 9-12

Congrats!!

BTW, when did you interview?

It takes a few days for the pee-test to be completed, so those who interviewed this weekend shouldn't know until Wednesday or so this week if they've been hired.

pilotyip said:
got a notice for the next class 9-12, so that must bet the next class date. And who said Kalitta does not hire USA Jet pilots

I would fall off my chair if PilotYIP came to Kalitta Air! From what I can tell, he enjoys his job at USA Jet.

He is not a line pilot at USA Jet - I think he meants that they received the standard two weeks notice that someone at USA Jet is in the 9-12 class.

iaflyer

They normally don't like to run new-hire classes after September.The company wants as many pilots as possible to run the Christmas shedule and not tied up with training. They will hire guys in their 50's, or at least had been if they have the experience. Its an okay place to work though scheduling is terrible and maintenance does need improvement.

Latest resources

Back