• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Get A Call from US Airways Yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was a wholly owned/division of US Airways called Midatlantic. It was staffed by furloughed US Airways pilots and pilots that flowed through from Piedmont, PSA and the old Alleghaney. It was shut down and the assests sold to Republic, which now flies those same E170s as Uexp. The flow through pilots were tacked onto the bottom of the U list and have now been recalled. Those flow throughs are the Midatlantic recalls, the last of the last.

Yeah, I know that story and all, I just didn't know there was a commonly used term like "MDA recalls."

What about the 70 furloughed mainline pilots at PSA? Do you call those the "PSA recalls?" Seems like you're forgetting all about them.....hey, just like ALPA has :)

BTW, can you tell me how many PSA pilots "flowed through" to MDA as you stated above?

"Don't confuse me with the facts, I read it on the Internet!"

-- Unknown --

Hey it's like the company's qtr report. It had one of the milestones as recall of 150 express pilots to mainline.....hmmmm

W/O interview starts Nov 12

US Air interview starts Nov. 12 for a privilege to be in a POOL.... Thanks a lot!!!!

Not all are back yet. Republic is not releasing the pilots until april of 08. Roughly 80 or so still stuck over there. 30 or so Mainline furloughees and the rest MidAtlantic folks.

64 J4J pilots at Republic. They start returning next month anywhere from 2-5 per month through April when they all will be back.

April has the majority of recall returns to LCC.

T8

A few more questions if anyone has time:
  1. What does a typical 190 line look like?
  2. How many days off typically/guaranteed?
  3. How does reserve system work at US?
  4. Can reserve pilots pick up trips out of open time to "create" a line for yourself?
  5. Commuter clause in your contract?
  6. Possibility for overtime?
  7. Best ways to earn extra money (big pay cut from current job)?
  8. Anyone have a copy of your current contract to share?
Thanks again for all the info!

A few more questions if anyone has time:
  1. What does a typical 190 line look like?
  2. How many days off typically/guaranteed?
  3. How does reserve system work at US?
  4. Can reserve pilots pick up trips out of open time to "create" a line for yourself?
  5. Commuter clause in your contract?
  6. Possibility for overtime?
  7. Best ways to earn extra money (big pay cut from current job)?
  8. Anyone have a copy of your current contract to share?
Thanks again for all the info!

What does a typical 190 line look like?

17 to 14 days off. Some lines are all day trips. Time ranges from 76 to 85 hours (DEC lines)
What makes you think you will get the 190? I bet you will get group II if you are hired at the front of the pack. Lots of group II vacancies on the last bid.

How many days off typically/guaranteed?
11 for reserves 4 INV (protected) days per month..

How does reserve system work at US?

“Bucket System” 4/3/2/1 day buckets. If you are available for 4 days you are in the 4 day bucket, available 3 days you are in the 3 day bucket and so forth.

When a trip comes open… say it is a 3 day. Those in the 3 day bucket will get called for it. The order of priority is the pilot with lowest flight time for the month in that particular bucket. (Not a seniority based system.)

Regular and Short reserve lines. R lines are 9 hour call outs. No need to be inbase if you are on R reserve. Most people sit reserve at home on R.

S lines are “must be within 90 min driving distance” which really equates to about a 2 ½ hour report.

Can reserve pilots pick up trips out of open time to "create" a line for yourself?
No. However, you can select among available trips when you are on reserve.

Commuter clause in your contract?
No. However, you can reserve the jumpseat 7 days ahead of time. And you can not be removed for W/B issues.

Possibility for overtime?
Yes. We are short staffed.

Best ways to earn extra money (big pay cut from current job)?

Anyone have a copy of your current contract to share?
I will try to find you a PDF of that.

What makes you think you will get the 190? I bet you will get group II if you are hired at the front of the pack. Lots of group II vacancies on the last bid.

How many days off typically/guaranteed?
11 for reserves 4 INV (protected) days per month..

How does reserve system work at US?

“Bucket System” 4/3/2/1 day buckets. If you are available for 4 days you are in the 4 day bucket, available 3 days you are in the 3 day bucket and so forth.

When a trip comes open… say it is a 3 day. Those in the 3 day bucket will get called for it. The order of priority is the pilot with lowest flight time for the month in that particular bucket. (Not a seniority based system.)

Regular and Short reserve lines. R lines are 9 hour call outs. No need to be inbase if you are on R reserve. Most people sit reserve at home on R.

S lines are “must be within 90 min driving distance” which really equates to about a 2 ½ hour report.

Can reserve pilots pick up trips out of open time to "create" a line for yourself?
No. However, you can select among available trips when you are on reserve.

Commuter clause in your contract?
No. However, you can reserve the jumpseat 7 days ahead of time. And you can not be removed for W/B issues.

Possibility for overtime?
Yes. We are short staffed.

Best ways to earn extra money (big pay cut from current job)?

Anyone have a copy of your current contract to share?
I will try to find you a PDF of that.
I just kind of assumed it would be the 190. I read some place that the 190 pays more first year. Is that true? What aircraft are considered Group II? Whats the first year pay for Group II aircraft?

For R Lines, are you on call 24 hours a day for the 9 hour call out? You mentioned you can sit reserve at home for a 9 hour but what if scheds calls you at 2200 for a 0700 report? Or does that not happen?

When you reserve a jumpseat can a senior guy later bump you out or is it first come first serve?

Thanks for answering all of my questions! Sorry I have so many questions but I am trying to get a better idea for what my life might be like the first few months. Thanks again!

I just kind of assumed it would be the 190. I read some place that the 190 pays more first year. Is that true? What aircraft are considered Group II? Whats the first year pay for Group II aircraft?

For R Lines, are you on call 24 hours a day for the 9 hour call out? You mentioned you can sit reserve at home for a 9 hour but what if scheds calls you at 2200 for a 0700 report? Or does that not happen?

When you reserve a jumpseat can a senior guy later bump you out or is it first come first serve?

Thanks for answering all of my questions! Sorry I have so many questions but I am trying to get a better idea for what my life might be like the first few months. Thanks again!

It is my understanding that Group II 1st year pay is a flat $38,000 (use to be $36,000). Group II, is the B-737, and the A320.

E190 pay is higher the first year. So theoretically the best scenario (pay wise) is E190 first year then bid off of it. (12 month freeze)

Yes, you are on reserve 24/7 on R. However it is safe to pull it from home. Normally, (99.9% of the time) when you are on R, you will be processed (assigned) a trip the day prior. You can also use the CATCREW system to see where you rank for being called for a trip if you are worried about a call at 10pm. I suppose if you are #1 to be called you could commute into base on the last flight of the night to play it safe.

Sometimes if they (scheduling) have a shortage of S reserve pilots they will transition some R’s over to S. This is done the afternoon before and you have time to make it into base.

You can reserve the jumpseat 7 days in advance. You use a automated 800# to do that. (first come first serve). However, the FAA can bump you out of it if they need it for a line check or something.

It is my understanding that Group II 1st year pay is a flat $38,000 (use to be $36,000). Group II, is the B-737, and the A320.
When you say its a flat $38,000 am I to assume that means you are payed a salary no matter how much you fly? No overtime for first year FO's?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back