Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody have briefers giving wrong info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kream926 said:
guys what is this? i fly outta ISM everyday and we knew about the pres. TFR a day in advance

Yea usually the system works, but not all the time, as many people have just pointed out. For those times it seems pilots are left out to dry.

Hey tool, are you going to be around the CVG area later this week? If so, watch out for another Presidential TFR, and heres your advanced notice.

NOTAM Number: FDC 6/7745
Issue Date: May 16, 2006 at 17:30 UTC
Beginning Date and Time: May 19, 2006 at 18:55 UTC
Ending Date and Time: May 19, 2006 at 23:15 UTC
Reason for NOTAM: Temporary flight restrictions for VIP (Very Important Person) Movement
Type: VIP
Replaced NOTAM(s): N/A
Affected Area(s)

Area A
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 8.2 nautical miles from CINCINNATI VORTAC(CVG) on the 089 radial (Latitude: 39�01'44"N, Longitude: 84�31'47"W)
Radius: 30 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not including FL(180)
Effective Date(s):
May 19, 2006 at 18:55 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 14:55 EDT) - May 19, 2006 at 23:15 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 19:15 EDT)
Area B
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 2.7 nautical miles from CINCINNATI VORTAC(CVG) on the 078 radial (Latitude: 39�01'42"N, Longitude: 84�38'48"W)
Radius: 10 nautical miles
Effective Date(s):
May 19, 2006 at 18:55 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 14:55 EDT) - May 19, 2006 at 20:00 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 16:00 EDT)
Area C
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 10.2 nautical miles from CINCINNATI VORTAC(CVG) on the 086 radial (Latitude: 39�02'24"N, Longitude: 84�29'16"W)
Effective Date(s):
May 19, 2006 at 19:15 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 15:15 EDT) - May 19, 2006 at 21:15 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 17:15 EDT)
Area D
Airspace Definition:
TFR Center: 2.7 nautical miles from CINCINNATI VORTAC(CVG) on the 078 radial (Latitude: 39�01'42"N, Longitude: 84�38'48"W)
Effective Date(s):
May 19, 2006 at 20:25 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 16:25 EDT) - May 19, 2006 at 23:15 UTC (May 19, 2006 at 19:15 EDT)

wow... anyone need a hug?

Wait, we have Gulfstream pilots on here? I mean, I don't have a problem with them. I just don't want them living on my street.

Metro752 said:
I think we've already established that the FSS is not accurate either.

Yes but when the information given is inaccurate you have a recorded conversation showing the briefer gave you inaccurate information and proof that you have used an approved means of flight planning when the FAA tries to take your certificate for a violation. When you go to your hearing and say well I used FAA.gov or another source (none of which you will probably be able to prove that you did) they are going to take that disclaimer and shove it right up your 6.

When I was instructing, my student planned a flight from TLH-VLD and back for a night cross country. I called the briefer to back up my student's call while I was driving to the airport. No NOTAM's except the usual unlit towers.

We blast off and get to the airport and set up for the approach. Low and behold, I see a big yellow X flashing on the runway at both ends. Circle around... take a peak at the other runway.. also a big yellow yellow X.... You can also see trucks driving around the runways occasionally. Yep...the airport was totally closed and neither briefer mentioned it.

Always took what I heard from the FSS in a bit different light after that little incident.

Had a briefer screw up my departure airport once when I was a fresh, new Instrument Pilot, and he pissed on me for it instead of taking the blame.

I was in an airport in Northern California (SFO area), and tower was closed (about 10PM), me and three friends were flying back to SoCal. I called FSS on my cell to get our clearance limit, filed everything like usual. Told the guy where we were and our destination and he filed everything and we had a couple of minutes to takeoff. So, we strapped in and I taxied out and took off, contacted Norcal, and told them we were "out of San Carlos" on the first call, and there was a pause and he keyed the mike a couple of times as if to talk but didn't. Finally, he gave us vectors for traffic, and we ended up going to San Jose because San Carlos did not have fuel open after hours.

In any case, landed in San Jose and I called FSS to file another FP, and the guy asked if I was the one that took off out of the wrong airport. I said what. And he started going off about how I took off out of the wrong airport (as if I carried the plane in my bag and stopped at the wrong airport to unfold it and depart) and gave me this schpiel about responsibility and how I had all of NorCal up in arms. I was like ok sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wasn't even aware that there was an airport in Palo Alto, let alone filed for it. Anyways, ATC never contacted me about it, so we just went on our way.

When I look back, I really realize how much of an ass that guy was. I told him exactly where we were and where we were going, and he even read it back to me. Had ATC contacted me I would have gotten the tapes.

That was my one and only bad experience with FSS. Ever since then, I always give them the identifier twice when filing, even if they know exactly which airport I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back