Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody have briefers giving wrong info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
txpilot1974 said:
Man, these boards get tougher by the day. At least the guy is trying to get information about the subject. Give em a break.

If he wants a break, he can go to Burger King. With his experience level, he should know about TFR's. Thats if he was truthful on his profile. Flying in the post 9-11 airspace is a different animal than 8 or 10 years ago.

I don't want any more restrictions placed on me, but with the knee jerk reactions of the politicians, many more ADIZ and TFR violations may result in more restrictions placed against general aviation. This ain't rocket science, a bit of diligence is definitely in order on preflight planning. Especially when flying into unfamiliar territories.

If he wants a break, he can go to Burger King. With his experience level, he should know about TFR's. Thats if he was truthful on his profile. Flying in the post 9-11 airspace is a different animal than 8 or 10 years ago.
Ok guys...lay off. Let me tell you what was really going on today. If this guy was flying anywhere near MCO then he most likely got screwed. First off, the TFR's were not NOTAM'ed as they actually were. They times were not acurate and were ever-changing. The President moved multiple times in the past 36 hours thoughout Central and South Florida.

I landed in MCO early in the morning and asked the controller when Air Force One would be leaving and if there would be any delays resulting from it's movement. He responded with "what are you talking about" responses, and I recieved no answers. He would not even admit to me that Air Force One was there. He could not tell me that there was a TFR or a "airport closure".

On the flight out, I heard a GA aircraft check on with center going past Orlando. The man in the plane stated he checked all the Notams for MCO on WSI and saw nothing except the Disney TFR. The controller REFUSED to give him a time range, area covered, or reason for the TFR. Not one controler that day would admit the presence of Air Force One or the President. The even did their best to avoid the questions. Kinda like it was super secret.

All that said, you guys should give him a break. It was a confusing couple days down here in FL.

Last edited:
erj-145mech said:
You obviously have internet access, because you can cruise sites like these, so do you get the daily aviation news briefs from sites like www.aero-news.net, or www.avflash.com? Have you ever used www.airnav.com? Lots of valuable information there. As the PIC, you are responsible to have all available information to your route of flight and destination. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Your profile says that you have a commercial licence. Your comments and demeanor indicate otherwise. Do me a favor, and don't do turns about a point using a cooling tower at a nuclear power plant as your reference point.

If you are not a member of AOPA, I strongly encourage you to invest the $39/year to join. If you don't learn anything, maybe the staff of lawyers can keep you out of jail with airspace violations.

If your instructor told you that all you need to do is contact FSS for pre-flight briefings, he's deficient in his teaching methods and needs to refund your ground school money.

1. No I dont get daily aviation news briefs, I dont fly enough to care enough to remember what I would read anyway.

2. Ignorance is no excuse, but inability to get the information is a great one. I'd say that querying the briefer about the exact status of an TFR affected airport is the best and safest way to get the CORRECT information. I appreciate the links and I'll check them out. But you may rely on private websites like that but how much sense does it make for the govt to require pilots to get TFR information from unofficial sources? Keep relying on those unofficial sources if you want. I'm looking for the single official place that knows what they're talking about. Up to now, I thought that was the FSS briefers and NOTAMS.

3. Nice jab with the nuclear reference. Moron. Next time someone asks for advice keep your mouth shut lest you discourage them from asking questions in the future. People like you indirectly encourage others not to ask questions. You act exactly like the pilots at Riddle everyone hates, with the "I'm better than you" attitude.

4. I dont get your point, should my instructor have told me to go to Airnav.com or the other sites you listed to get accurate TFR info? If you rely on unofficial "for-profit" websites that have no legal requirement to provide correct, updated information, then you are more of a danger for airspace violations than myself. I was told, and have been told, that the controlling agency and FSS would know of any airspace activations and TFR's.

Of all the sites you listed, I'm surprised you didnt say AOPA...that would be more reliable since they are such advocates of avoiding restricted airspace. I could have checked the AOPA website, but the FBO did not have internet, and I didnt have my AOPA card with me to log in anyway.

I just don't get it, in the past and still today, the legal precedent for proper briefings is from a FSS briefer and more and more today, DUATS...NOT websites plastered with advertisements that have no legal obligation to anyone.

I have had breifers not enter my flight plans. I call for clearance, and nothing on file. That gets aggravating. Its happened twice this week.

kf4amu said:
1. No I dont get daily aviation news briefs, I dont fly enough to care enough to remember what I would read anyway.

kf4amu said:
OK so where do you get your initial information from that you use FSS to supplement?

Doc,

faa.gov
(TFR Link on right side, graphics too!!!), duats, aviationweather.gov, fltplan.com, charts n such

aopa.org has a lot of resources as well

Latest resources

Back