Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody have briefers giving wrong info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metro752 said:
Doc,

faa.gov (TFR Link on right side, graphics too!!!), duats, aviationweather.gov, fltplan.com, charts n such

aopa.org has a lot of resources as well

I think FAA.gov is about as official as you can get for TFRs, if you cant rely on the FSS. Awesome link, thanks.

As far as the initial information, I understand the whole "charts and duats" suggestion...this was about TFR's specifically.

Metro752 said:
Doc,

faa.gov
(TFR Link on right side, graphics too!!!)

Did you ever read the text at the bottom in big fat red highlight?

Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes. For the latest information, call your local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF.

VNugget said:

Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes. For the latest information, call your local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF.

Thats a standard disclaimer on pretty much everything I've read except Duats. Thats why the legal precedent supports FSS briefings and Duats, but we've established they dont work all the time. I was trying to see how big of a problem it was.

In todays society of legal disclamers we pilots are liable to get absolutly screwed. We should be checking a variety of sources anyway.

It is especially important that we hold the FSS briefers accountable for their actions. Since they are no longer goverment employees, they simply must be held accountable for their actions and the actions (or inactions) of the company that they represent.

I really don't agree with the litigousness (sp?) of the society we live in, however with a private company runing the entire FSS it may end up saving pilots lives or saving several violations at least if we are firm with how we react to recieving a less than satisfactory briefing... especially when the briefing does not contain all availible information about TFR's. Putting pressure on the company will make them change the way they operate and hopefully make the quality of the briefings better

I haven't read all of the back and forth of who said what and who didn't do what, but what I think the general summary is you are going to get screwed no matter what.

For example, was going to PHL about 2 weeks ago and the VP was supposedly in town, I checked the TFR's on the FAA www site and they weren't supposed to affect me, but if I left early they would so I called the FSS anyway because some of the detail said if you were operating on an ATC clearance you would be OK, they also made reference to "DNS" (I might have the initials wrong). 20 minutes on hold, while the briefer checked with his supervisor, called the "DNS" and they said I would be OK. Go to get my clearance with the local ATC and they said no GA ops were being allowed. Ended up taking a delay. Government morons.

kf4amu, I did mention AOPA back in post #9. You probably paid as much attention to that post as you did the briefing. You sound like you're blaming the FSS because you failed to use the available information to plan and fly your route.

The moral of the story, don't go bashing unless you are willing to be bashed.

Thats what happens when Lockheed farms out the work to india.

erj-145mech said:
kf4amu, I did mention AOPA back in post #9. You probably paid as much attention to that post as you did the briefing. You sound like you're blaming the FSS because you failed to use the available information to plan and fly your route.

I think the moral of the story (as evidenced by the plethura of testimonials from other members of this board) is that the FSS makes crucial mistakes in regards to TFR's on a consistent basis, especially this time.

I cant believe your telling others to use for-profit mickeymouse websites (AOPA excluded) to plan a flight around TFR's. If thats what you use, you would bust airspace long before me, and have 0 legal defense to help your case. Even the FAA's website says don't use it for flight planning, call FSS to get a briefing, I cant understand how you think you are smarter than them, but to each his own. Good luck with that attitude, I hope you never fly a plane I'm on.

VNugget said:

I think we've already established that the FSS is not accurate either.

erj-145mech said:

Talk about going off the deep end.

One of the first things that everyone is taught in PVT GS is to get a briefing before every flight. Should we complement this info with info of our own? Absolutely, but if not given the resources, how is this suppose to happen. I check all info before each flight w/ fltplan.com, but you know what, I back it up with a call to the ole wx brief. Which should I trust, fltplan (not a government source) telling me theres a notam, or FSS ( a government source) telling me there is not? Lay off the guy. At least he is asking for help, rather than being ignorant about and hoping for the best.

Latest resources

Back