Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody for the Age 60 Change Happen to have children who are pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Hamburger but the pilots were complicit. Like one Gen-Xer told me, " We need to get that pension monkey off of OUR backs. I need a stronger company for my future". The pilots gave it up in return for cash upon BK exit, and then decided that some of us should also forfeit that money as well. No, grasshopper, I don't blame management, I always knew what they were up to. I also take blame. After representing pilots for years, in capacities such as the MEC, Professional Stnds, and contract admin, I should have known better than to think they would look out for my interest. Hell, I gave up more than thirty grand in OT when we had furloughees, on principle, and contributed more than the usual "guilt relieving" amount to the Relief Fund. I even made a couple of mortgage payments for a former friend. You know what? They jumped on the OT train upon return, and were the biggest proponents of throwing me under the bus.
Who the hell wants to fly past 60 (for a living) if they don't have to ? Try waking up some day with young children (nope, first marriage) no job and no pension, no claim payout, and no sympathy from those you worked tirelessly to help. No tears, I have a job, but my children won't have my financial help when it comes time for college. They will have my advice though. Be self employed, be a CEO, or if God forbid you are forced to join a union, run for office so you can insure your seat in the life boat.

The current group of pilots facing retirement at 60 and are fighting to extend it to 65 are BABY BOOMERS. They are the most populous generation in the history of America. If you think that them having an extra FIVE YEARS of working in a seniority/attrition based workforce doesn't affect EVERYONE below them, you are a fool.

Seniority only works in ONE Direction.

We get five years LESS at top pay. Not five years more. They want to upgrade at 30 and retire at 65 and make us upgrade at 35 and retire at 65. They get to have five more years at double pay than we do. Don't forget the reason they got to upgrade at 30 was that those before them left at 60.
So you've got the previous generation that upgraded at 30 and retired at 60 (30 years), and the younger generation who will upgrade at 35 and retire at 65 (30 years) on one side. On the other side, you've got those who upgraded at 30 (due to those before them retiring at 60), but want to retire at 65.(35 YEARS).

Simple math chief. SWA, CAL, DAL, FDX, UPS are already winding down. You are on the wrong side of the latest hiring boom. Attrition is your best firend.
YOU are the one getting screwed. Wake up. Age 65 passes and you will be in that 1900 until 2011. Have fun.

Stop being a tool. First you wont get five years less pay as captain, as you will fly for 5 years longer (ie. retire at 65 not 60). You should have the upmost respect for any senior major airline capatain as the have been through everything this industry could shell out at them, all before you you bought your first ipod and sleek new pair of oakleys. Imagine working your entire carrier building up a retirement account that you plan to live off after you retire, and 5 years before you retire that account gets wiped in half or more. Not to mention now your are now making 40% less than you did 10 years ago. 5 years isnt too much to ask.

Again, stop being a tool. This career isnt what it once was. You are not going to make 200K flying 12 days a month, your company is not going to fund your retirement, and you are not going to become a mainline cpt after 3 or 4 years in the industry. Make the best of what you have and look out for your fellow pilot. Everyone is in this together.

Sorry Hamburger but the pilots were complicit. Like one Gen-Xer told me, " We need to get that pension monkey off of OUR backs. I need a stronger company for my future". The pilots gave it up in return for cash upon BK exit, and then decided that some of us should also forfeit that money as well. No, grasshopper, I don't blame management, I always knew what they were up to. I also take blame. After representing pilots for years, in capacities such as the MEC, Professional Stnds, and contract admin, I should have known better than to think they would look out for my interest. Hell, I gave up more than thirty grand in OT when we had furloughees, on principle, and contributed more than the usual "guilt relieving" amount to the Relief Fund. I even made a couple of mortgage payments for a former friend. You know what? They jumped on the OT train upon return, and were the biggest proponents of throwing me under the bus.
Who the hell wants to fly past 60 (for a living) if they don't have to ? Try waking up some day with young children (nope, first marriage) no job and no pension, no claim payout, and no sympathy from those you worked tirelessly to help. No tears, I have a job, but my children won't have my financial help when it comes time for college. They will have my advice though. Be self employed, be a CEO, or if God forbid you are forced to join a union, run for office so you can insure your seat in the life boat.

:smash: I YIELD THE FLOOR TO WICKED-PICKET!

-Well said

I am not against changing the age limit. What i am worried about is that at one point in the future it will be used to make us all fly to 65. Nothing against the people that want to do this, but i want to keep the option open to retire before 60, and I am plannin on doing so. If the age 65 change will be going through, it is a bad thing for everyone, except the people that are hugging their retirement date, or have recently upgraded to left seat.

I am also not against compensating the junior group of collegues that will feel the 5 year stagnation in their pocket, and with this I mean NOT to force them into 5 years of extra work to compensate them, but to find for a fair compensation.

Above 60 in a right seat? no carreer hold up for anyone. And if it is truly all about the enjoyment of flying and transfer of knowledge this is the perfect solution.

Unfortunately this is not what it's about it's all about the greenbacks, and your own pocket.

I am for a change to 65, but I think we will be hurting the generation behind us if we don't compensate, and i for one would dislike to be forced to continue into old age, i want to have some quality years in my life after I retire. Can't see myself sailing around the world with the Mrs at 65...

Patriot 328 states: "5 more years on the street..."

Tired old statement.

Fact: 3111 on furlough of 63183 pilots on the seniority list. Less than 5%. AMR makes up 77% of all furloughed. (not too many furloughees making Capt anytime soon at AMR). Many of those on furlough at AMR are with someone else. Source airlinepilotcentral.com

Airlines include: AMR, CO, DL, NW, UAL, US, FL, ALK, ALOHA, ATA, HA, JB, MDWEST, SWA, FDX, UPS & ABX (all pretty good careers).

This is a tough issue and as stated, it is about $$$.
Who gets it and who will have to wait a bit to get theirs. Pilots are greedy (we all know it and admit it to ourselves, quietly, inside). We hear about "my upgrade", "my seniority" "my chance to fly the big jet" "my.....". Thinking about the guy on the street is as dumb as approving a 'B' scale (some are too young to remember that) or those horrible 1st year payrates for new hire pilots (something about paying your dues probie).

Final thought, how many are actually going to fly to 65? My guess, not many including ......me. I have planned for 60 and if unforseen circumstances call for the need for a year or two more, so be it. Fly to 65, forget it.

Fired not retired

Why should Pilots Be FIRED when they turn 60?

65 isn't much better. but is is a little better.

What other job are you fired from because of age?

I think that it is almost moot for this year anyway. I believe the House begins its winter recess on the 26th or thereabouts. My understanding is that legislation that is not passed by the time the House or Senate recess drops dead and must begin again fresh next year.

Helmsmen

Why should Pilots Be FIRED when they turn 60?

65 isn't much better. but is is a little better.

What other job are you fired from because of age?

I LOVE the captains who cry this river. If you didn't think it was fair, you probably shouldn't have signed on in the first place. Besides, where were you when the guys senior to you were getting hosed down on their last flight? I bet you were off scheming about how you were going to spend your Christmas off with newly "EARNED" advancement in seniority.

Fired? Spare us the sob story. Go out with a little dignity like your predecessors did. Statistically, you're going to die at about 65 years old. Go spend your last years with your wife.

What other job are you fired from because of age?[/quote]

-Air traffic controller
-Firefighter
-Military

prostitute

Latest resources

Back