Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody for the Age 60 Change Happen to have children who are pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just felt it was my responsibility to move up and kept applying till I got the job I wanted.

Come on now, Whistlin' Dan (hell of a username, by the way), if you were putting out resumes back in the day and this age 65 sh!t had come down you'd be as mad as the rest of us.

Just like I'll join the pro-65 crowd if I can squeak through an upgrade before the music stops. It's all whose ox is getting gored....

I've posed this question before and have not heard from anyone in the situation.

I'm curious...Anybody for the change out there happen to have children that are regional or new hire major pilots?

My old man lost two corporate jobs and drug his family halfway around the world to pay the bills. He did whatever it took to provide for us and managed to put all five of his kids through school. My two older brothers and I are all pilots, two at corporate flight departments and one at a major airline, and none of us would dream of asking our dad to get out of his seat because he had a birthday.

He has offered to leave so one of his sons (anti-nepotism) can have his job. No thanks. Fly as long as you want to pop. You've earned it, you put up with the bulls... and helped to pave a better path for those pilots hired in after you.

Come on now, Whistlin' Dan (hell of a username, by the way), if you were putting out resumes back in the day and this age 65 sh!t had come down you'd be as mad as the rest of us.

Just like I'll join the pro-65 crowd if I can squeak through an upgrade before the music stops. It's all whose ox is getting gored....

I do see your point, Like most issues, it's not black and white.
The way I see it, it is what it is. Everyone's career got extended 5 yrs.
I've still got my retirement (for now, what transpired over the last few years proves NONE of us are safe) and don't particularly want to keep flying past 60 (I'm 52). Working doesn't bring home that much more than my retirement income, if I want more money, I would be better off collecting on my DB and working somewere else. But that's me, I have more concern for the thousands of guys (many of them friends of mine)who had thought they had a secure retirement and are now in there 50's looking at pennies on the dollar for the last 20-30 years of their life. There are some real horror stories out there and the idea that "they made big bucks and should have been better prepared" is naive and foolish.
I have more sympathy for them than someone who wants to hurry up and upgrade. Nothing personal, but your better off in the right seat at FedEX than some poor UAL, USAir etc, guy in his 50's that lost most of his retirement and doesn't have time to save and earn compound interest on his savings for long enough to do him any good.

BTW Huck, you saw the movie, clearly, it was a triumph of experience over youth!!

Last edited:
I do see your point, Like most issues, it's not black and white.
The way I see it, it is what it is. Everyone's career got extended 5 yrs.
I've still got my retirement (for now, what transpired over the last few years proves NONE of us are safe) and don't particularly want to keep flying past 60 (I'm 52). Working doesn't bring home that much more than my retirement income, if I want more money, I would be better off collecting on my DB and working somewere else. But that's me, I have more concern for the thousands of guys (many of them friends of mine)who had thought they had a secure retirement and are now in there 50's looking at pennies on the dollar for the last 20-30 years of their life. There are some real horror stories out there and the idea that "they made big bucks and should have been better prepared" is naive and foolish.
I have more sympathy for them than someone who wants to hurry up and upgrade. Nothing personal, but your better off in the right seat at FedEX than some poor UAL, USAir etc, guy in his 50's that lost most of his retirement and doesn't have time to save and earn compound interest on his savings for long enough to do him any good.

BTW Huck, you saw the movie, clearly, it was a triumph of experience over youth!!
I see both sides of the issue but you articulate your point much better than the origional poster. That's for sure.

Two points:

1. If you put yourself in the poor house to pay for your kids' education, you are an idiot. Any investment counselor would advise you not to do that. Your kids have a lot more years to make money than you do.

2. A captain I was talking to in MCO yesterday was very afraid of the age restriction moving to 65 because he is sure his loving employer (I forget whether American or Delta) is going to penalize his retirement if he doesn't stick it out until 65. Not what he was planning.

But note that ol' Dan was in the right seat.....

My dad's 60 in 12 months. Bad news for him, since he had his ESOP turn to dirt and his pension flushed down the toilet. If I could do 5 more years flying with Capt. Jackass just so he could get five more years to save up for retirement without a pension, I would! He put everything into that ESOP and maxed out his pension because he was late in the game (he's only got 24 years in at his beloved company), but it's all disappeared! How selfish would it be for me to think that I deserve his job and he shouldn't get 5 more of the company's best-paying years?

At least I've got the example they've made of him to learn my lesson. Never believe management. Don't ever invest in your own company (unless you know something no one else knows). Diversify, diversify, diversify.

I'm sure the party line is drawn with the families of UAL, US, DAL, and NWA on one side and AA, CAL, and UPS/FedEx on the other. Bottom line is that 65 ain't easy for anyone, but it's fair for everyone.

Shy

Latest resources

Back