Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody for the Age 60 Change Happen to have children who are pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hamburger

I've posed this question before and have not heard from anyone in the situation.

I'm curious...Anybody for the change out there happen to have children that are regional or new hire major pilots?

What do you say to them when you advocate your position to change the retirement age?
I envision it to be:

"Well son, I know you followed in my footsteps, and it's the hope of all parents that their children prosper and have as good of or better life than they had. I know you want to provide a good life for your wife and my grandchildren. I know you've really slugged it out with low paying jobs for a lot of years, paying your dues so that someday you can have the kind of job and paycheck I did when you were young.

The thing is, you and your family are going to have to add another five years to that number because I still want more. I'm sure you understand, you are nowhere near as talented or deserving a pilot as I was at your age, (how can you take yourself seriously as a pilot? you fly an RJ and listen to an ipod!)You really shouldn't feel entitled to anything. I'm almost ashamed that my son is a whiner that wants to have the same opportunities in his career that he watched me enjoy as he was growing up."

How about "gee son, I just shelled out $100 k plus for your education and flight lessons to get you where you are and your poor old man needs another couple of years of income to pay off those bills. Thank you for understanding""

How about "gee son, I just shelled out $100 k plus for your education and flight lessons to get you where you are and your poor old man needs another couple of years of income to pay off those bills. Thank you for understanding""

Well said. It's hard to believe that anyone could complain about a parent wanting to fly to age 65 because the retirement package they were promised got jerked out from under them after they paid all that money for their kid to learn to fly. If I was in my twenties and my Dad had just paid for my education and flight training and than lost his retirement, I would be hoping and praying he could have the chance to keep flying if he needed to. The sense of entitlement the original poster has is galling.
An RJ pilot worried about age 60?? Since when does a job at a regional airline entitle you to move on to a larger carrier? If your an RJ pilot you are NOT at an airline effected by the rule and it's none of your business what the pilots at an airline that is effected do. You are not entitled to a job at SWA, UAL, DAL, Fed EX, etc etc just because you work at a regional airline. You may or may not make it to a larger airline, you may or may not even pass the first interview IF you do get called for an interview, it's none of your business until you work for an airline that is effected.
What's next, student pilots telling their flight instructor he'll have to quit once the student gets his ratings because he is taking up the job he needs to build up his experience?

If you were any father at all you would have convinced them into becoming something productive and respectful, like say, a plumber or a sanitation engineer.

You are not entitled to a job at SWA, UAL, DAL, Fed EX, etc etc just because you work at a regional airline.

I'm guessing your attitude was a little different when you were sweating in that old Dash 7......

I'm guessing your attitude was a little different when you were sweating in that old Dash 7......

Actually no. That's why I'm blown away at the attitude of some RJ guys that think they are entitled to move up. I worked in the old Allegheny Commuter System. I would never have thought Allegheny or the Allegheny ALPA owed me any consideration. We were fling Shorts at the time and mainline Allegheny started flying Nords to put some of their furloughed guys back to work. I couldn't imagine whinning about "who's flying that is" It was their deal and they should do whatever they wanted. I just felt it was my responsibility to move up and kept applying till I got the job I wanted.

Latest resources

Back