Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody for the Age 60 Change Happen to have children who are pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He put everything into that ESOP and maxed out his pension because he was late in the game (he's only got 24 years in at his beloved company), but it's all disappeared

That is aweful. If he does get a second chance (age 65), it is your duty as a son to make sure he gets a finacial advisor this time around. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me.

Dan, it AFFECTS everybody, whether or not you work at a commuter. They have guys retiring too. If they aren't entitled to move up to a better job after working at a crap job for x number of years, then why are you entitled to work five years longer because your pension was jerked from you??? You make no sense to me.

I am a Captain at a major, and I have a son at a Regional. I support changing age 60 but have worked very hard and planned very carefully to be retired long before 60. Career progression by age, my son is several years ahead of the game than I was at his age. Good for him. I think he will have a bright future regardless of what happens to the retirement age.

My son understands that an improvement to the industry is ultimately beneficial for all of us. He also understands that the more options one has, the better.

I would hate to have to explain to my son the logic of supporting a situation wherein pilots from other countries or American pilots flying for foreign carriers were legal to fly in our own country's airspace while American pilots flying for US Airlines were not.

Last edited:
My son understands that an improvement to the industry is ultimately beneficial for all of us.

I'm curious, WS, and I mean this with all due respect - how do you see this as an improvement to the industry?

I really want to know. I think the end result is a five year shift to the right of the average career. Doesn't sound good - from the time value of money perspective, as well as this: what are the young pilots supposed to do for five years to fill the gap before their first real job? Teach all those non-existent students out there?

>>I'm curious, WS, and I mean this with all due respect - how do you see this as an improvement to the industry?<<

That's easy. Our occupations are some of the finest and most desirable that our economy produces. Having the option and flexibility to benefit from that occupation for a longer period of time makes for a more rewarding career, hence, a better industry.

It will also be an improvement to not have US pilots flying for US carriers being second class citizens in our own country.

What Dan Roman posted was right on, great user name. wish I'd thought of it. I have two sons in college and flying training myself.
Airfogey

I would hate to have to explain to my son the logic of supporting a situation wherein pilots from other countries or American pilots flying for foreign carriers were legal to fly in our own country's airspace while American pilots flying for US Airlines were not.

The thing is.... age 65 doesn't prevent "pilots from other countries or American pilots flying for foreign carriers" from taking his job. It is YOU who are taking the work from him...
Don't try to pretend that you staying at work somehow closes the floodgates for foreign labor. It is YOU who is doing the work that YOUR SON should be doing. The Captains that preceded you retired with dignity at 60, therefore opening the Captain slot for you to upgrade.

Now you want an extra FIVE YEARS(!)of employment knowing that it means an extra FIVE YEARS of your own son and your own grandchildren living with less than half the pay you had at his age.

That's just Poor Form.
Denying your own children access to the same opportunities and lifestyle that you were able to provide for them while they were growing up is the opposite of the American Dream. You are supposed to shun selfishness to the point that you wish better for your children...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back