Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody for the Age 60 Change Happen to have children who are pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What he meant to say was....

Dan: career progression from a regional to a major is FAR more reasonable and customary (in today's way of thinking) than it is to correct a 40+ year rule that was wrong.

Whatever.

Changing a 40+ year accepted methodology is extraordinary; It does not matter how you look at it. So when this change doesn't live up to your expectations (and it won't in most cases), what will be the next extraordinary demand you"ll want? Seriously, what's your next stunt going to be? Because I'm really not too worried about his rule change anymore. I believe it's going to end up favoring age 60 as normal retirement age.

Making up facts? The original string was made up by someone that appeared to me to be a regional pilot wanting more jobs to open up for him. Again, that's pretty cocky thinking that what the pilots do at USAir, SWA, DAL, NWA etc is any of his/her concern. Just because someone is flying an RJ somewhere does not entitle them to fly for one of the carriers that proggresion would be slowed due to age 65.

Friends and neighbors:

Old Danno's type is going to get an offer all too soon on some form of cabotage or foreign control that's going to take care of him, but leave everybody else out. And this is the same rational he'll use to justify taking it.

I can't speak for any other airline, but my airline came out of a very challenging situation without "screwing the junior pilots" in fact. the retiremnt for people junior to me is argueably better than what I have. The senior folks kept the DB, the junior folks get a mix of both. Their DC is more secure than what I have and has the potential for greater gains.

Hmmm. Shouldn't we adjust those dollars for inflation? Doesn't make it look quite as good then.

Children who are pilots are mostly against changing the rule to the international age standard.

Grandparents who are pilots are mostly for changing the rule to the international age standard.

Whyme worry,
BTW, I don't work for CO, I'm guessing you do. You don't have a clue what our situation has been, so why would you be judging what we did?

I may not have all the insights that you do about your carrier's situation, but I certainly do have a clue. You don't have to be a genius to keep apprised of the goings-on at the various MECs in the airline business these days. I have studied virtually all of the MECs responses during the post 9/11 years. Hands down, they all failed to implement the full force of the RLA. I am not saying we shouldn't have helped the our respective airlines during the recovery years. What I am saying is our MECs let mgmt get away with outright robbery and now your generation of pilots want the younger to bail you out. Millions of dollars were paid to executives for running sub-standard balance sheets further into the dirt and labor was the ATM for their financial solutions. ALPA, which was lead by your generation of pilots, failed to draw it's line in the sand and enforce. It is the pilots who are now retiring that lead ALPA and their MECs down this road over the past few years. They failed miserably and now they want to stick around, at the expense of junior pilots, to fix their mistakes. Is this generation not the the whiniest bunch to ever to grace our skies? You guys were the leaders of your carrier's union and you failed to lead, failed to rise to the challenge failed to show mgmt what dealing with labor can result in. Instead, you threw the younger pilots of this business under the bus to save your retirements, which were taken from a majority of you anyway. Your beef should be with mgmt... not your fellow pilots. Mgmts paid themselves ridiculous amounts of cash in the years since these concessionary deals were signed. You could have prevented that behavior by using the RLA. Instead you decide to throw the youth of this business under the bus ONE MORE TIME by refusing to retire when you agreed to int he first place. How much longer do you want us to finance your failures? Let me guess, 10 more years. I would bet a million dollars that when y'all turn 65, you will be asking for the age to change to 70, and at 70 there you'll say there should be no age limit. When does it end?

Is it any wonder that after the last concessionary deal was signed the mgmts of this business succeeded in increasing fares no less than 42 times... fare increases that stuck? They did nothing novel, they simply charged the consumer for the cost of doing business plus a small profit. When we were all negotiating concessions they told us fare hikes were not possible. Our MECs deliver a sub-standard TA and moments later mgmts finally raise fares to cover the cost of our product.

I am not directing this only at your carrier, Dan, this goes to all the major carriers. Nobody, NOBODY opted to use the RLA to maintain their contracts (i.e. strike). Instead, they played into mgmts hands and now they whine that they should be able to stick around further asking the youth of their seniority list to do a cash-out financing of their futures.

Just who was leading these MECs during this period? The X-generation? They Y generation? Nope. You guys had chance to lead, you got spanked by mgmt instead (and took down the whole profession in the process).

I have always suggested that a compromise on this issue would be allowing the retiring pilots to come back into the right seat at full longevity. 99% of all the Captains I have suggested this to balk at such an idea... "why should I have to sit right seat with all my experience?!?" Why should I have to finance your lack of fiscal prudence while you played our unions into mgmts hands?

Look, lets just agree to disagree on this issue, which we obvioulsy do.

I flew a trip the other day where for two legs the Captain told me how angry he was that congress failed to get age-60 passed on the latest version of the FAA reauthorization bill. He went from one diatribe to the next about his 24 years of experience, and what a good stick he is... blah, blah, blah. At the end of the trip, after we get off the bus ride to the employee lot, he gets into his $53,000 brand new truck. Ya' think he's ready to retire?

Last edited:
I may not have all the insights that you do about your carrier's situation, but I certainly do have a clue. You don't have to be a genius to keep apprised of the goings-on at the various MECs in the airline business these days. .

(Middle deleted because you can read it above)

Ya' think he's ready to retire?

Wow! Nicely stated. YEAH! What he said!

Since when does a job at a regional airline entitle you to move on to a larger carrier?

and it's none of your business

it's none of your business until you work for an airline that is effected.

This generation warfare rhetoric nonsense has got to stop. Every career pilot has a stake in this issue whether you agree or not - and every person able to vote has a right to speak on this issue.

A regional job doesn't entitle you to a job with a DC/DB carrier, but inasmuch as it is reasonable that someone who was 'screwed' out of their DB retirement plan expected that money to retire, it is reasonable for a younger pilot to anticipate eventually getting on with a carrier that does have such a plan.

And here's another thing for those who don't believe it makes a difference: I've run present value numbers on two scenarios - one with a late twenty something flying for a regional and then getting on with a legacy carrier retiring at 65 and another one at 60. The results were virtually equal; i.e., adjusted for the time value of money, those working to 65 with a three year upgrade delay worked for free for the last five years. You can debate my assumptions, but you can't deny there is a consequence.

I've been lucky and fortunate enough to have my retirement under control as well, but please, let's maintain the discussion as if we were peers.

It's pretty simple, really...

It ain't your f***ing seat until the airline gives it to you, and that means someone has to give it up. It's all a crap shoot as to when in your career that will happen.

Latest resources

Back