• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody ever have a bird strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4 total in small single engine props, including one particularly un-darwinian species of fowl called a sandhill crane which will not yield it's place on the runway even in the face of a lumbering cessna.... splat

Hit a Canadian Goose once on takeoff at about 200 feet and 150 knots...dead center of the CRJ radome. Shoved the radome into the radar dish and bent the dish. Radome had cracks running in about seven different directions.

Not a drop of blood or feather anywhere to be found on the aircraft.

Had a bird strike back when i was flight instructing. It happened to be a discovery flight for a possible new student. The bird hit the fuel vent and actually made my engine caugh all the way back to landing. Meanwhile, his gf in the backseat was puking...got to love those Disco flights in the Summer time in Dallas. The guy never started lessons either.

Munched a crow and a seagull

Sucked the crow down the right engine in an F-111E back in '82 just as we were touching down to land at Upper Heyford. Sucked up the seagull right after takeoff from MacDill in a Viper; swung quickly around to land and shutdown at EOR. Otherwise uneventful!

Landing north into CEC there is a large rock out in the water that is a haven for all kinds of birds. We were in a "Bro" going in at night. Standard stuff. About 500' AGL the landing lights light up a flock of pelicans(?). Funny part is the one we hit let out a stream of Sh!t I have never seen come out of any animal, ever! It had to be at least 3-4 feet long!!! Bad part was the prop clipped the bird and mechanicaled(sp) the plane on a local trip with none of the crew bringing overnight stuff. If it wasnt so funny, we probably would have been pissed.

Oh, and almost added coyote to the list a few weeks ago on 35L in DEN.

Last edited:
http://www.avweb.com/newspics/birdstrikecanada.wmv

Check out this video. You can see the bird streak in at the start.

I've hit some tweeties but never any damage, but I did fly a 172 through a bee swarm. could barely see out the front windsheild to land and all the leading edges had splattered bees still trying to sting.

Latest resources

Back