Anybody ever have a bird strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rbrady

I almost ran into a flock of snow geese a little north of Lambert the other day. Scared the b'jesus out of me. They were up pretty high. I'm wondering how a 172 would handle an impact with a five pound goose at 100 knots? I've seen the movie 'The Edge' and the outcome was not good....

I've heard of one. But the President ordered them back to work, citing "vital national interests" or some such.

No - no one has ever had a bird strike.

Woop woop - Sarcasm sarcasm.

Yeah, and the last one was a seagull at 250kts that hit the windscreen right in front of my head. Justabout scared the dookie out of me. What a mess. (On the windshield, that is.)

Hit either a dove or pigeon on landing. They were on the runway and flew straight up into our path. Dang things exploded like water balloons and on the taxi in, the local hawks were already cleaning up the mess.

I've had them in a few airplanes including a 172 (hit a hawk) and the CRJ (no idea what it was). Nothing happened to the CRJ, just sounded like someone hit the nose with a hammer. The 172 on the other hand had one hell of a dent in the cowling.

I've heard of one. But the President ordered them back to work, citing "vital national interests" or some such.

Doesn't the RLA pretty much make it impossible for birds to strike?

Hit a goose on takeoff in a Beech 1900 a few years back. Thought we missed him (didn't see any damage out the windows), until we opened the door at our next stop and saw the wing just outboard of the left engine. A dent the size of a basketball, flattening the leading edge of the wing back about 5 inches to the spar, and a couple of bloody talons caught in the deice boot. Yuck!

I took out a flock of pigeons once while on an FAA Type ride. There was no where to go and I had no choice but to wipe them out. The FAA examiner didn't seem to care, and actually laughed at it. We were landing into the sun on a simulated single engine approach. Still got the type but I had to open the side window and poke my head out for the taxi in.....sorta like Ace Ventura.

My buddy hit a bird in the middle of the night over dag in his mooney. His plane was mess up bad. Hit the cowling and just about took the side off. If it hit his windscreen he would have been history.

Hit a goose in a DO-228. The prop spun it thru a window..... guts ended up on a pax face. Story was on Paul Harvey news.....guess that was my 15 minutes of fame.

Latest resources

Back