• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody ever have a bird strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about 300 morning doves in a DA-20 at rotate, flamed out both engines, the crew had to ride that sucker dead stick back into the ground. LRP 9-1-05, it is poster child of the FAA bird strike poster, you may have seen it at some of the FBO's. BTW the crew walked away from the wreck, F/O said "screw this" and took a job flying in Iraq.

One that is more tragic, E-3 departing Elmendorf AFB in alaska at 300-320,000 lb hit a flock of canadian geese taking out both engines on one side. They did all they could do but lost the fight. all 25ish aboard died in the crash. If I remember correctly the call sign was Yukla 27. The one and only US E-3 loss.

About 4 years ago, the company I worked for was bringing a new-to-us C550 into XNA for fuel and they struck a deer on the runway right after touchdown. Collapsed the nose gear and cut the deer completely in half.

This happened in SD. A buddy of my, who will remain nameless, hit a flock of geese at night on approach. One ripped off the windshield wiper which ricocheted off a prop, punctured the fuselage, and embedded itself into a man's thigh.
I sh!t you not. True story. :eek:

Oh dang! someone already mentioned it.

Last edited:
Hit a bird in my P-3 that hit the nosewheel steering actuator and cocked it full deflection. Never saw the bird and had no idea the wheel was cocked until after we landed and couldn't use the nosewheel steering. Both tires blew on touchdown and left a nice extra wide black streak for 5,000 ft down the runway - right on centerline of course.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

`Hit a dump duck in a 152
`Hit another dump duck with a Metro............it ended up inside the left engine cowl, having created a hole between the leading edge of the wing and the ice light former.
`Hit another dump duck with the right windshield frame in a Brasilia.
`Hit no less than three dump ducks with the radome, right windshield wiper arm, and the horiz. stabilizer. The leg of one of them was stuck in the wiper when we landed in SJC.
`Hit some geese going into SLC last month with an RJ. Made a mess of the left inboard flap, left winglet, and left leading edge, the latter of which had to be replaced.

Those are just the one's I remember............

AF :cool:

Latest resources

Back