Anybody ever have a bird strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's a fun little story...

XJ Crew going into ABR or ATY (don't recall) at night. Hit a flock of gease at night that messed up the windshields bad and ripped of the wipers. Had to land without blood and guts all over the windshields at night.

And that's not the fun part...

Capt's wiper blade flew back into the prop...prop propelled it into the fuselage...it went through the fuselage and STUCK IN A PASSENGER'S LEG sitting in 2A.

And that's not the fun part...

The passenger got yelled at by the FA when he stood up screaming while there on short final!!!!!:laugh:

And I though 9 birds on takeoff was bad!

The best part was the two stuck on the wipers, those guys looked like they were waving at each other really fast for the whole flight. But it turns out they were dead.. GO FIGURE!

I got hit in the face by a bumblebee on my crotch rocket at about 110mph...125 kts for you ERAU dorks
Oh and I also struck a stray cat in the head with a shovel and about a year ago I struck an RJ FO geek in the side of the head with a Heineken bottle.

Didn't go to riddle but my e6b watch says 110stat is about 96 KTS

I almost ran into a flock of snow geese a little north of Lambert the other day. Scared the b'jesus out of me. They were up pretty high. I'm wondering how a 172 would handle an impact with a five pound goose at 100 knots? I've seen the movie 'The Edge' and the outcome was not good....

If you have never had a bird strike, you haven't flown enough.

MMMMMM Birds!

#1 - bird on the bottom of a C-172RG. Barely missed the prop and heard it hit the bottom.

#2 - landing 9R in FLL we hit a four foot Crane on the rollout. The ops truck brought it to the gate to show it to us. It took the hit in the head from the nose gear. The rampers offered to show us how to cook and eat it. Go figure.

#3 - Approaching EYW at 1500 feet and the bird hit the nose then bouced off my windshield and exploded. I almost pooped it was so loud. Nice dent in the front and blood everywhere.

#4 - At 5000 feet 25nm from ZBV (in cruise) and struck the right side of the nose. Just a little dent in the side and some brains in the right intake.

#5 - Taxiing to customs in FLL. I saw the pigeon on the ground and tried to stop because it wasn't moving out of my way. I had the props in ground fine and the bird took off toward the left one. It flew right into the prop and split it in two. It hit so hard it made a "pop" sound causing some of the pax to yelp. When we deplaned I found the two separate pieces cleanly cut at the neck. Nice job Hartzell!

hit a flock of birds during a touch and go in an E-3, 707-320 for those who don't know, causing the 1&2 engines to roll back. This was 10kt from rotate, good amount of yaw, high speed abort. We were light weight though, only 230,000 pounds. The worst part of the whole deal was taxing off onto a taxi way and shutting down and waiting for the Fire department and MX to come out in the middle of summer in Oklahoma with a crappy APU.

How about 300 morning doves in a DA-20 at rotate, flamed out both engines, the crew had to ride that sucker dead stick back into the ground. LRP 9-1-05, it is poster child of the FAA bird strike poster, you may have seen it at some of the FBO's. BTW the crew walked away from the wreck, F/O said "screw this" and took a job flying in Iraq.

Hit a coyote taking a crap on the runway. Say in your best George Costanza voice: "We had a deal!!!"

Hit a flock of geese in the RJ on final at 145 kts. Tore that plane up!!!! Radome, aluminum strip above radome, left pitot, right leading edge in 2 places, right gear door nearly removed, and right cowl/engine sucked one in. Plane was grounded for awhile.

Latest resources

Back