• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody ever have a bird strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once in a 414 on a night visual,I happened to glance out the side window just as an owl went into the left engine.The strobe flashed just a microsecond before it hit the prop-kinda like stop motion.Took off the prop de-ice boot on one blade.While on downwind for 35 at PHL one night-hit the windshield so hard the cover fell off the PBE.One fine day at BUF,just coming over the hump in the runway (5?),a big azz turkey rotated right as I did-took out the lights on the nosegear of the 145-no time to do anything but say "aw CRAP!".Friend of mine was inbound on the Expressway 31 LGA,put the gear down at DIALS and the F/O had time to yell "BIRDS!" as the landing lights came on.Took a few in the engines,took out some blades,landed ok.

Hit a pigeon in a twin otter last year at Scenic. We were on short final and all the Japanese tourist saw and heard it. After we landed, every person had to take a photo of the dented wing.

Took a pigeon on the windshield short final in a 210. Big thump, little mess, no problem. Another guy took a hawk while hauling ass on a visual. He was probably doing ~200, but just happened to have bent over to grab his eggroll from the deck (or so I heard it). Bird went through the windshield, through the cabin, out the back window, and wrapped around the tail. There was blood everywhere. I think the guy quit, but the plane still bears a "kill" mark.

I got hit in the face by a bumblebee on my crotch rocket at about 110mph...125 kts for you ERAU dorks
Oh and I also struck a stray cat in the head with a shovel and about a year ago I struck an RJ FO geek in the side of the head with a Heineken bottle.

I struck me head on the dashboard of my car once when I was reaching to pick up my joint before it burned a whole in carpet

I've hit a bird with a Seminole, but my favorite bird strike occoured in a Peterbuilt.

I hit a bird with the big wind deflector on top of the cab. I was passing under a bridge at the time and I saw the bird bounce off the under side of the bridge in my mirror.

No, but I once punched a bird in the face........does that count?

Who hasn't had a bird strike!?!?! So far tweety birds, pidgeons, and recently a small owl on landing. I hope to keep from getting the goose some day. When I was in the B-1 program, we lost an aircraft and half a crew to a single pelican in Colorado. Kind of the "Golden BB" scenario where the bird slid along the side of the aircraft and punched in above the intakes of the #3 and #4 engine tearing out hydro lines, fuel lines, and electrical. Within two minutes they were down. They later reinforced the area on the remaining fleet.

Flock of geese to a Dash-8, took off the FO windshield wiper, 4 5" diameter dents in the nose, damage to boots on left wing and tail. Only reamains were on the FO windshiled and 1 bird on the left engine between the intake and prop spinner.

The company had to call Dehavilland to get an engineering okay to ferry the aircraft.

Latest resources

Back