Any SWA poolie got the MAR call yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CONGRATS, P.T.!!!!

Congrats also to Beechball, Pinto, Chucklehead, and the rest of your class!

Good to have you guys coming aboard!

Snoopy

Also got the call although I'm still playing phone tag with Lilah due to bad cell reception here in the hangar. She left a message of 1 March, excellent.

Look forward to seeing you guys and also would like to add my thanks to the guys on property that have kept us in the loop. (and the People Dept too, of course, was a good feeling to get the xmas card this year)

I'm 28 on the current SWA pool list.

Congrats to all ya'll in the MAR class, you are gonna have a LOT of fun in training, don't sweat it.

Maybe I'll come up to DAL from HOU and help ya'll tear it up a bit at your newhire party....it's been known to happen! In fact it's the rule, not the exception.

Keg beer and Wild Turkey for my new Brothers and Sisters!

HC

Flashback~~~!

I did not give my two weeks notice.

I was assigned a SWA class date of 9/27/01 and I was working for an on-demand freight company at that time..this was "at will" employment. So, I read the employee handbook from my on-demand company and it stated clearly that two weeks notice was not required by either side.

Around that time, when other airmen were giving notice they (Freight Co.) were cutting them loose that day. So if you wanted to work 2 more weeks and then get paid for your vacation time your plan would backfire....because they would make you start your vacation that day - thus you were losing out on two weeks pay.

I told my Wife, from a money stand point that I would work as long as I could stand it - then quit on the spot. For weeks I carried a typed letter of resignation in my bag with a blank line for the date to be inserted - when I had enough of their BS.

Then 9/11/01 happened - So for the rest of the week I stared at the phone waiting for SWA to call and cancel class. This call came on 9/15.

When flying started back up I went back to work at the freight company like nothing had happened (to me). I remember a fellow airman telling me how "screwed" I was since I was so close to going to SWA and now it didn't look to good. I was thinking how screwed I would have been if I had given my two weeks notice. Several guys had to beg management for their jobs back since they recently had resigned and given their two week notice.

SWA called me on 9/27/01 and asked what I was doing the following week? Ten minutes later I was enroute to my Freight Company with the letter of resignaton from my bag and all their $hit they assigned me.

With a smile on my face, I quit on the spot. They thought I should "stick around a while untill things settle down a bit" - Yeah sure I said "and let my seniority build at SWA". They said "what if your wrong?" (about my decision to go to SWA) I said "If I'm wrong I'll see you guys at Home Depot!"

Started class on 10/4/01............great day!!!

Congrats Guys/Gals and welcome to the best airline in the World!! Well, at least the lower 48!

Allright!!! Congrats eveybody.... And for all of you awaiting the call for classes after March 1st, the pool is going to dry up soon!

Relax and enjoy training. It really is a god time!!!!

See YA on Campus

OAK

Now maybe PT can stop stressing out :)

Last edited:
Congratulations to the "ex-poolies" and welcome to the seniority list. We are all glad to see you! Enjoy your stay in Dallas. You are going to have a good time... trust me. ;)

BTW... don't buy the LuggageWorks flight case the vendor offers at the school house. The handle will start to fall apart in about a year... trust me! :mad:

That was the best wake-up call I ever had.
Count me in for March 1st 2004!

YokeMonkey #20
Ptinbound #17
Beechball #24
Pinto #15
Chucklehead130 #16
firstthird #28

Last edited:
Re: Heading to Big D

Beechball said:
Got the call this morning myself at 10:08 ET for the March 1st class. Now the question is, do I take it as gospel and submit a 2 week notice or wait to the last possible minute? Any suggestions?

I would give the two weeks notice if possible, but no more than that. We're "At will" employees; usually that works in the company's favor, but in this case, it works in yours too.

I remember how many of our guys got hosed when they found jobs in August 2001 (after our big furlough), gave more than two weeks notice, and after 9/11 canceled those new jobs, they couldn't rescind their resignations. Had they only planned to give two weeks, they wouldn't have given any notice at all.

I always want to part on good terms, but I'd hate to give up any more job security than necessary, especially as hard as it is to find such a killer job as you have coming. Good luck!

WOW! I was just hoping it was soon I didn't know it would all happen today. Great news. PTinbound, PM me I spoke to u on the phone once with our mutual friend from Conquest. :)

Great.

That is great news. Feels great, doesn't it? I still can't believe we (class 2004-01) is actually here. You are going to have a great time. We will all be in the middle of our IOE when you get here, but we will try to make it back to DAL for the party. Looking forward to a lot more classes.

Bill

Latest resources

Back