Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any SWA or Airtran pilots see recent SLI at Mesaba/Colgan/Pinnacle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dicko,

Are they the Eastern scabs which work in your training center?

D

The fathers he's attacking are both guys that never crossed the line at Eastern. It will be interesting if MILF runs across them at some point :D

In answer to your question, I don't know. These people seem to live forever.

PCL-
I really do think you do the average air tran pilot a disservice by voicing so often. You are the pilot who took a shortcut to their career. When everyone else worked and paid for their certificates, built time, built relationships, earned respect of their fellow instructors and peers, so that they would have ample LORs and a good professional reputation in which to garner an airline career- YOU paid gulfstream to be an FO. Everyone else instructed, built the foundation by scrapping- not by mom and dad's wallet.

And when I get into it- it's the same here.

This is an acquisition and not nearly as despicable a shortcut as you took to a career- but there are parallels. AT guys will be skipping steps that guys took to gain the job as SWA became a top tier ultra competitive gig- or skipping the sacrifice of slugging it out at 2nd tier rates until your company was strong enough to pay and schedule better.

Are you T.O. Really trying to say that the AT job was NOT much easier to gain than the swa gig??

We all make our choices and every AT pilot ought to be proud of getting on and competing so well- but these are not and have never been equal jobs- Swa simply required on average YEARS more experience and quals- and the stick-to-it-iveness to update and interview often 2 or 3 times. Everything about it is better and as such many more pilots apply.

Are we really saying in all this we're all communist equals? That there should be no benefit to those who did stay with it and got the harder job to get?

You won't be stapled but manage your expectations- there ought to be a gain for every swa pilot. A fair one, but a gain.

Wrong. AirTran has had a requirement for turbine PIC for a long time. In fact, it goes further than simple turbine PIC, and requires that at least 500 of your PIC be in part 121 or military operations. When I was hired, you couldn't get the call until at least 1000-1200 part 121 PIC, even if you had multiple internal recommendations.

OYS,

Again, pissed you made a bad decision and your career is nothing like the one you thought you'd have by this point. By the way, how's that 50k a year in pay working out for you? By the time you retire, you may be a Captain on the RJ your company is buying! I bet I'm a little more accurate in my predictions than your are...clown act!

D

I am actually very happy where I am now, and thankful. I am also thankful I don't have to go through that god awful SLI that you guys will have to do. I missed it here, which is fine with me. I'll just watch yours and bring the popcorn, which I can afford with my 50k or so pay. Luckily I saved some money from my corporate gig, giving me breathing room, and I get a healthy pay bump up in a few months from now. And wasn't there a thread on here stating the airline would retire 7600 pilots within 15 years from now? Not you guys, with 150 a year scheduled for multiple years, and 22 year old FOs senior to you. I actually, feel, pretty darn good. Good luck and Godspeed.

OYS

Last edited:
PCL-
IWe all make our choices and every AT pilot ought to be proud of getting on and competing so well.

Thanks!

I hear ya Wave. Sometimes life isn't fair. This industry is really weird. We all talk about paying our dues and unity. But yet there are plenty of PFT'ers and line crossers out there flying. So I don't worry about it too much. Because I know what did to get where I am today and I have nothing to be ashamed about. See you on the other side!

Has SWA ever hired a pilot who didn't meet the published mins ?

I'd say the odds are no for the last 20yrs. This has been one of the hardest jobs to obtain in ANY industry, they just don't cut corners on qualifications..they don't have to.

Used to be, some well placed internal recs could really help you get an interview..but you still needed the mins. Now they have even taken out the internal rec part until you get the interview.

The days of calling the PD or a chief pilot to get your bud the interview are long gone.

I'd say the success rate after you get the interview are less than 20 percent.

But, pay doesn't seem very important to arbitrators (look at Colgan vs Pinnacle and Mesaba), and that might be significant in your case against Airtran.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

I can let most of your post stand, but on this part you are completely clueless.

Mesaba got credit in the SLI for having the better contract. Their NC did an excellent job of arguing to Block that it mattered...and he argreed with them.

From Block...

'to at once recognize the beneficial aspects reflected by adoption of many highly salutary aspects of a seasoned Mesaba labor agreement that was brought to the merger'

So your continued sabre rattling about how the Southwest contract doesn't matter is completely false. And I think the AAI MC is really starting to grasp this as well via their last email.

RF

What's interesting is that 22 year old pilot at Airtran might upgrade before you and SWA/FO, and could be senior to you guys for more than 40 more years. And he didn't have to pay for his type rating! Ouch.

Dumbass, my handle on FI.com was made over 13 years ago. Much like if your handle was for example "dumbass UAL FO" - but really now you're a "dumbass DAL FO and you just didn't change it.

Besides, SWA/ CA is taken.

I'm not worried about the trannies. I just wish they were more grateful, much like you and your LOVE for Delta and the boyz in ATL.

:cartman:

I'm not worried about the trannies. I just wish they were more grateful, .....

:cartman:

I thought the warrior spirit was part of the culture?

We're not exactly seeing a servant's heart out of you guys either.

We are very grateful for the vision of Herb, the continued manifestation of a successful airline by Gary, Colleen, et. al. and the opportunities provided by this merger.

I'd say the odds are no for the last 20yrs. This has been one of the hardest jobs to obtain in ANY industry, they just don't cut corners on qualifications..they don't have to.

Used to be, some well placed internal recs could really help you get an interview..but you still needed the mins. Now they have even taken out the internal rec part until you get the interview.

The days of calling the PD or a chief pilot to get your bud the interview are long gone.

I'd say the success rate after you get the interview are less than 20 percent.
I think you forgot about women in aviation and the scholarship program. Girls got class dates ahead of poolies and a few of the were hired and given a free type from SWA. It has never been about how good you are. It's about how lucky you are and who you know.

Latest resources

Back