• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any problems with Bose QC2?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you reverse the cord that comes with the QC2 around and stick the end that goes into your headset into the ipod and the other end into your uflymike it works great and no need to carry an extra cord around.

I've finally ordered the QC2 and UFlymike. I burned some Hilton points to get Sharper Image gift cards that'll I use for the QC2.

Anyone know if the QC2 will filter out a screaming 18 month old child? I had pax with one of those for a 2 hour flight today :angryfire

AirBear

There was another thread in regional forum regarding the QC2 headset and this is what I posted there:

(basically I replied to a person who said the FAA didn't mind pilots using headsets which aren't approved by the FAA [TSO] - I heard something totally opposite)

"I spoke to a fed and asked about them. He said if it works and you have a backup such as another headset or speaker, then he could care less what you use. I ordered mine a few days ago."

Hmm, I heard something totally different. Several months ago, I talked to a friend of mine who flies MD11s for FedEx. He said that not too long ago he had an FAA inspector on his flight (routine observation I think?) and they ended up having a conversation about ANR headsets. (My friend is using Telex 850 which I believe is the reason the conversation on the subject started)

The inspector said that “there are pilots out there who’re using unauthorized headsets and we know about it!” Apparently, a crew for some airline really screwed up not too long ago (he never said which airline except that it was a B737NG flight). The captain on that flight was using an ANR headset that was modified and “unauthorized” by the FAA. He said it was a Bose headset that’s actually made for the passengers so I’m assuming it’s the QC2 with the UflyMike conversion.

Basically, the captain’s batteries died and since the other guy was either in the bathroom or not paying attention, they ended up flying without talking to anyone for some time and had to fill out some paperwork afterwards. The fed said that had it been a TSO’d headset it would’ve never happened because when the batteries in a regular ANR headset die, you can still hear the ATC.

With the Bose QC2 + Ufly2Mike conversion, if the batteries die – you’ll have no idea that you cannot hear the ATC unless the speaker is on or the other pilot happens to see the little light go out on the side of your headset.

Anyway, I was seriously looking into the QC2 conversion but frankly I’m not willing to risk a violation just so I can save a few bucks; I have heard from numerous people that the UflyMike conversion is great and I wish there was a TSO’d version because I’d get it in a heart beat. I’ll probably end up with a Sennheiser or a Telex.

If only Bose would recreate a QC2 with a mic that’s ALWAYS hot whether batteries are in or not (I think that Aviation X headset is too big and TOO expensive.)

I know that QC and UflyMike is a great combination BUT I also know it's not legal. The chances of someone finding out are very remote, nevertheless I believe it's something you should consider...

Last edited:
At the beginning of each flight when you turn the headset on, just look at the red light on the side. If it's blinking, change the battery. The light will start blinking when the battery has approximately 4 hours left. It's not like the headset will just suddenly cut out without any warning at all...the blinking light is on there for a reason. The guy was probably trying to save a few pennies by milking the single AAA battery until it went completely dead and it ended up biting him.

It's not like the headset will just suddenly cut out without any warning at all...the blinking light is on there for a reason.

Yeah, so I guess part of the takeoff brief to other pilot should be: “as soon as you see my headset light start blinking please notify me immediately!" Or, “your airplane, my radios - except every 30 minutes I’ll momentarily hand the radios to you while I check the battery light!”

I know this is going to extremes; however, one could argue that so is your statement. Rules are rules, whether we like them or not; kind of like checklists - we have them so we can learn from other pilot’s mistakes instead of our own.

Look, I know thousands of pilots use the headset and I understand it’s a great combination with the UflyMike – however that does NOT make it legal!

Like I said in another forum – everyday shady FBOs use AutoZone parts on their rental airplanes. Everyone knows it, but that does NOT make it legal!

⌐⌐⌐⌐⌐;1210794 said:
Look, I know thousands of pilots use the headset and I understand it’s a great combination with the UflyMike – however that does NOT make it legal!

OK, smart guy, then what does make it "legal"? Please point to the section of the FARs that requires me to plug in a headset that meets TSO C57 and C58.

I'll wait.

Couldn't find it? That's because it isn't there. A little understanding of what a TSO is would go a long way for you here.

More from the FAA:
Receiving a TSO Authorization is not an approval to install and use the article in the aircraft. It means that the article meets the specific TSO and the applicant is authorized to manufacture it.

Like I said in another forum – everyday shady FBOs use AutoZone parts on their rental airplanes. Everyone knows it, but that does NOT make it legal!

Absolutely true -- and completely irrelevant, because a headset isn't a replacement part installed in an airplane. Everyday FBOs probably buy shop rags from AutoZone to clean oil off the skin of an airplane. Is that illegal in your eyes, too, since it's touching the airplane? Where is that distinction written?

I used a non-TSO headset in part 121 operations for 8 years, which the full knowledge of our Principal Operating Inspector. It was never an issue because there was no requirement in the FARs nor our approved manual for a headset that met TSO C57 and C58.

Can you show us otherwise?

⌐⌐⌐⌐⌐;1210688 said:
With the Bose QC2 + Ufly2Mike conversion, if the batteries die – you’ll have no idea that you cannot hear the ATC unless the speaker is on or the other pilot happens to see the little light go out on the side of your headset.
This is BS. You know in an instant when the batteries die - the noise canceling dies also, and it's VERY noticeable. You also know when the batteries are getting very low, because if you bump the headset, or even touch it to something, the noise cancellation dies momentarily.

Got this from another thread.

UFlyMike Rumors & Facts
I'd like to help clear up a few items on the UFlyMike setup:

1. There is no FAA requirement for headsets to pass TSO standards. A pilot's personal headset is not part of the aircraft equipment. The TSOs (57 & 58) are published as guidelines for manufacturers. Air carriers may require a pilot to use a TSOd headset, but the FAA does not. We have six Feds, that we know of, that use our product doing line checks.

2. You lose audio but not the mike if the battery goes dead in the headset. If you follow Bose' directions and not use rechargeable batteries, the low battery warning system gives ample warning that the battery is getting low. To me, getting surprised with a dead battery is like being surprised if the airplane runs out of gas...

3. The Bose cord will NOT work with the UFlyMike adapter because it has a 3-conductor plug on one end. The funky sounds you hear when you try to use it is from the plug shorting out the ground and music channels. There's nothing magic about the cord we sell to play your mp3 player through the UFlyMike adapter. It has a 2-conductor mini-stereo plug (3.5mm) on each end. Radioshack's version is cheap and worthless. Recommend the one like we sell or you can get at Walmart made by Belkin.

4. There is no "FO" version with the boom on the right. The jack which the UFlyMike plugs into is one the left earpiece. We've looked at trying to make an "FO' version, but there doesn't appear to be a reasonable solution.

5. There is no ANR "hiss" in the QC2 because Bose makes an incredible ANR circuit. It is by far the leader in the industry.

6. The UFlyMike will NOT fit any other headset than the QuietComfort 2. We looked at making one for the QC3 but don't feel the "3" would make a good aviation headset: 1) fits on the ears = uncomfortable for extended wear, 2) special battery & charger required, 3) spare battery = $50+

Hope that helps.

Mike
UFlyMike LLC

How do I need to set the volume up on the audio panel in the XL so I dont crap my pants when I go thru "500" ft or "minimums" or an altitude alert? That's my only complaint so far.

Latest resources

Back