• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any "Latest & Greatest" About Atlas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im curious as where all this fantastic growth is coming from. It cant be from AMC because all the carriers that do this are downsizing now due to the drawdown. Is it mostly DHL?

Im curious as where all this fantastic growth is coming from. It cant be from AMC because all the carriers that do this are downsizing now due to the drawdown. Is it mostly DHL?

Good question. It seems like the training department has been running classes every three weeks like clockwork. We are still taking deliveries of the last one or two 767s for DHL that had been previously announced and we are still taking deliveries of the last four 747-8s. It seems like a lot of DHL growth which makes me nervous.

Atlas seems to hold their cards close to their chest. They seem to announce the actual additional airplanes, contracts, or customers at the last possible minute.

So a few months ago, our VP of Flight Ops, J.C. gave a big cheesey wink in an operational update video with respect to crewmembers being certain that our standing bids are up to date.

I had no idea what that was referring to but assumed some kind of meaningful announcement would come out about major growth or a merger / acquisition. As we all know, that has not been the case.

The question is: what was the point of that video? At this point, it seems quite misleading.

So a few months ago, our VP of Flight Ops, J.C. gave a big cheesey wink in an operational update video with respect to crewmembers being certain that our standing bids are up to date.

I had no idea what that was referring to but assumed some kind of meaningful announcement would come out about major growth or a merger / acquisition. As we all know, that has not been the case.

The question is: what was the point of that video? At this point, it seems quite misleading.

I know, wtf was up with that?

Good Ol JC! Gets canned from Spirit but lands on his feet at Atlas. Suprised he hasn't opened a pilot domicile in Kabul yet. Sorry for the hijack.

So he was canned from Spirit? I thought he just left....what happened?

Interesting points from the call:

Growth of revenue 13% over 2011 3Q.

10% Adjusted net income increase over 2011 3Q.

Good growth but not as much as forecasted.

Atlas has been increasing their cash position
-for rainy day worst case market scenarios
-to better position themselves for growth when an opportunity presents itself i.e. acquisitions of aircraft or competitors.

Atlas is increasing debt because of new aircraft purchases (747-8)
- goal is to balance increase in debt with increased earnings
- earnings are rising even faster than debt which leads to a better leverage position.

Global cargo demand is improving but not as fast as originally expected.

Military cargo demand is falling. This has a bit of a negative impact on Atlas, but a more significant impact on competitors using 747-200s.

Military contracts are a cost plus payout. Atlas 747-400s and 747-8s are in demand in the global charter market whereas there is little to no demand for the competitors 747-200s which will have to be parked.

As of October 1st, U.S. military will no longer charter 747-200s.

There are 42 747-200s worldwide in use that Atlas believes will be parked rather rapidly.

There are 11 747-400F's that are parked worldwide and are available for lease or purchase (CEO could list all of them and their former operators from memory).

There are 4-6 747BCF's that are parked worldwide and are available for lease. Atlas stated that these aircraft were not desirable as they have more maintenance due to their age, burn more fuel, and can carry less payload.

Last edited:
He was "asked" to resign. He has a history of opening and closing domiciles epecially when negociations are going on. Don't trust that SOB as far as you can throw him!

He was "asked" to resign. He has a history of opening and closing domiciles epecially when negociations are going on. Don't trust that SOB as far as you can throw him!

Although, I think he is very business savy, he was former Northwest management which by it's very nature makes him extremely anti-labor.

Latest resources

Back