• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any "Latest & Greatest" About Atlas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm looking for an old friend from Allegheny commuter. He's worked for Atlas for many years. His name is Dave Wagner. If someone at Atlas can get his phone number for me it would be appreciated. Send me a message. Thanks.

Last month 89 hours. This month I am only in week 1 and will hit over 40 after tonights jaunt.....off for a week then will be back to see if I hit OT...

Ill offer my experience over the last year as a late 2012 new hire:

I have never come close to 62 hours on the 747. Everyone is complaining about how their bidlines are getting "optimized" and losing 20+ hours and rarely breaking guarantee. And when you are on first year pay and 50 hour guarantee my paychecks hardly break $3000.

Also, a lot of my trips and fellow classmates consist of excessive deadheading in "Atlas business class", which often times is 3-4 legs and 20+ hour days just to get somewhere on a cramped upper deck tripping over everyone. Seems like they will go out of their way to commercial me somewhere on US Air so I can hop on one of our planes for a multi-leg dh to Asia. Flew all month without ever sitting in the right seat. This needs to stop.

Lastly, I find the hotels to be poor to good. The downtown qualifier is a joke. Look at JFK and CVG for example. Hardly downtown! ANC Hilton is a noisy dump, but many of the foreign hotels are quite good - so why such poor hotels in the US?

Otherwise, happy to be here and looking forward to 2nd year pay soon. The military new hires seem like this is a dream job whereas the former 121 and other ACMI guys have seen all the tricks and contract abuses. Now if the Atlas vs Polar egos will stfu and get along lol.

Atlas vs Polar? I think thats a select few stirring the pot. All in all the merger went very well. My 2 cents....

Atlas vs Polar? I think thats a select few stirring the pot. All in all the merger went very well. My 2 cents....
Probably right about that. Just an observation lately. All in all a good bunch of guys minus some of the old crusty ones, like anywhere else.

I have never come close to 62 hours on the 747. Everyone is complaining about how their bidlines are getting "optimized" and losing 20+ hours and rarely breaking guarantee. And when you are on first year pay and 50 hour guarantee my paychecks hardly break $3000.

I think one's base has a lot of bearing on this. I'm JFK based and in my 3+ years here it's a rare month that I'm not into overtime. Of course the CRT rig helps a lot as well. Before that you were losing if you sat somewhere for a few days. Now at least we get paid to hang out somewhere!

Also, a lot of my trips and fellow classmates consist of excessive deadheading in "Atlas business class", which often times is 3-4 legs and 20+ hour days just to get somewhere on a cramped upper deck tripping over everyone. Seems like they will go out of their way to commercial me somewhere on US Air so I can hop on one of our planes for a multi-leg dh to Asia. Flew all month without ever sitting in the right seat. This needs to stop.

Lastly, I find the hotels to be poor to good. The downtown qualifier is a joke. Look at JFK and CVG for example. Hardly downtown! ANC Hilton is a noisy dump, but many of the foreign hotels are quite good - so why such poor hotels in the US?

Otherwise, happy to be here and looking forward to 2nd year pay soon. The military new hires seem like this is a dream job whereas the former 121 and other ACMI guys have seen all the tricks and contract abuses. Now if the Atlas vs Polar egos will stfu and get along lol.

A perfectly valid points, but:

- hey, at least you didn't get assigned to the 767. You'll make 17% more than me in years 2 &3, so there's that.

-per the CBA, you can't go over 20 hours duty when on a DH. (doesn't mean they won't try now and then) Always check the brief view and make sure it's legal. Of course they'll go out of their way to put you on a company airplane, especially for an international DH - it's cheaper! Make sure they hold up their end - adequate pillows and blankets and especially catering! Guys have occasionally spent 17 days DHing around the world, never to touch a wheel. Or sitting in a hotel on R-2. Part of the gig. I often see 3 to 5-day DHs to get to/from NRT. Some guys hate it, I view it as getting paid to be a tourist. Of course, if you want to fly more, there's always the 767-200s in CVG!

-U.S. hotels suck because of the "downtown like" language in the CBA. They're working on it, but the wheels turn slowly. Are you writing FCRs for the ones you don't like?

I think the lack of bid pay protection is the most common complaint for us FNGs.

A perfectly valid points, but:

- hey, at least you didn't get assigned to the 767. You'll make 17% more than me in years 2 &3, so there's that.

-per the CBA, you can't go over 20 hours duty when on a DH. (doesn't mean they won't try now and then) Always check the brief view and make sure it's legal. Of course they'll go out of their way to put you on a company airplane, especially for an international DH - it's cheaper! Make sure they hold up their end - adequate pillows and blankets and especially catering! Guys have occasionally spent 17 days DHing around the world, never to touch a wheel. Or sitting in a hotel on R-2. Part of the gig. I often see 3 to 5-day DHs to get to/from NRT. Some guys hate it, I view it as getting paid to be a tourist. Of course, if you want to fly more, there's always the 767-200s in CVG!

-U.S. hotels suck because of the "downtown like" language in the CBA. They're working on it, but the wheels turn slowly. Are you writing FCRs for the ones you don't like?

I think the lack of bid pay protection is the most common complaint for us FNGs.
Thanks for the reminders and tips. I always cross reference their tactics with the CBA. Always! Been burned too many times. The other issue I run into frequently is having to burn 2 days off getting to ANC because the trips start so early Z time up there. Getting up there in the winter is going to suck! Hope a base bid happens soon. However, id rather sit R2 somewhere than deadhead all over the place in the left side bulkhead seats!! FCRs filed btw. ;)

Thanks for the reminders and tips. I always cross reference their tactics with the CBA. Always! Been burned too many times. The other issue I run into frequently is having to burn 2 days off getting to ANC because the trips start so early Z time up there. Getting up there in the winter is going to suck! Hope a base bid happens soon. However, id rather sit R2 somewhere than deadhead all over the place in the left side bulkhead seats!! FCRs filed btw. ;)

Now I notice the aircraft you've flown - you've been around the block. I'm still a noob at the ACMI stuff. And as much as I like to complain, one great thing about the JFK 767 base - the airplane never goes through there, so we never have to leave early. Here's hoping the new hires let you switch!

Latest resources

Back