• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any info on airtran pilots picketing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airtran has a lot of people in both seats that mistakenly believe(d) that airtran was a career Its not. It has never been. It is just a really sh!tty short term job that some of us have held on to too long. Now the people that spent thier whole check and have no savings are really screwed and have to fly 100 hours per month. That is part of our problem. Between scabs and the guys who for one reason or an other have to fly 100 hours per month there is a supply of people who will come to work when they should stay home. So, here we are with a contract signed in 2001 and a company culture from a 1920's coal mine. Now what?

I disagree. If you want to fly more, you should be able to. However, not in this environment. You should also get paid premium pay when you pick up a trip. I don't pick up trips right now, but once we get a contract I will. Thats actually one thing I like. I don't get capped like some airlines. There is nothing wrong with picking up a little open time once in a while. BUT NOT WHEN YOUR CONTRACT WAS AMENDABLE 5 YEARS AGO! Give me a decent contract I can live off, and then let me pick up open time to pay for my new boat!

Airtran has a lot of people in both seats that mistakenly believe(d) that airtran was a career Its not. It has never been. It is just a really sh!tty short term job that some of us have held on to too long. Now the people that spent thier whole check and have no savings are really screwed and have to fly 100 hours per month. That is part of our problem. Between scabs and the guys who for one reason or an other have to fly 100 hours per month there is a supply of people who will come to work when they should stay home. So, here we are with a contract signed in 2001 and a company culture from a 1920's coal mine. Now what?
Captain Jeff,

I agree with part of your post. AT one time, AirTran was not a viable career option. However, it is now.

The pilot group voting down not 1, but 2 T/A's. The pilot group jettisoning the worthless NPA in-house union and bringing in ALPA, (which by the way has accomplished more in 8 weeks than NPA did in 8 years). The pilot group rallying for not 1, not 2, but 3 informational picketing events executed with military precision.

The scabs you mention have no power and no say in anything. They are no different than the same 1% of scabs that are left at United and Continental. They are, in a word, meaningless. They have been shut down by the solidarity of the 99% of real major airline pilots at AirTran.

It is examples like these that show the ATN pilot group has made the choice that AirTran is a final career. Their actions have shown that they are willing to fight for it. If a strike is needed to end that "1920's coal mine" management culture and to get the large pay raises and major improvements in the many other sections that we so rightly deserve...then so be it.

I trust you will get onboard with the rest of us if you are not already.

that's all you should be flying anyway...HOAR
I am on reserve, don't have much of a choice. I am talking about line construction. Our LVI has been mid 80s all summer long and will be low 70s for the fall/early 2010 slow periods. Reserve guys will be getting 15 days off (after manager of scheduling chooses 5 extra off days through the urping process when projected credit gets too high). Line holders/buildup line holders will have very little open time to pick up or swap with so most guys will be crediting less than 80 whether they want to or not.

Former NPA leadership already let management know that a good portion of the pilot group wasn't financially ready for a strike last summer. When management asked the NPA how to handle the drop in block hours, the NPA should of said reduce everyone's block hours as much as needed to not furlough/downgrade. Instead the NPA told the company to furlough/downgrade cause too many pilots at Airtran live paycheck to paycheck and need their 90 hours to keep everything going.

PS: My wife and I's budget is based on 50 hours of pay for each of us (she is a FA). We are gearing up for the strike if necessary.

I am on reserve, don't have much of a choice. I am talking about line construction. Our LVI has been mid 80s all summer long and will be low 70s for the fall/early 2010 slow periods. Reserve guys will be getting 15 days off (after manager of scheduling chooses 5 extra off days through the urping process when projected credit gets too high). Line holders/buildup line holders will have very little open time to pick up or swap with so most guys will be crediting less than 80 whether they want to or not.

Former NPA leadership already let management know that a good portion of the pilot group wasn't financially ready for a strike last summer. When management asked the NPA how to handle the drop in block hours, the NPA should of said reduce everyone's block hours as much as needed to not furlough/downgrade. Instead the NPA told the company to furlough/downgrade cause too many pilots at Airtran live paycheck to paycheck and need their 90 hours to keep everything going.

PS: My wife and I's budget is based on 50 hours of pay for each of us (she is a FA). We are gearing up for the strike if necessary.

Well said, I will never forget or forgive how the NPA did not allow the membership to vote on any options to stop or lessen the furloughs. This is the same reason why ATN ALPA will never have a strike vote due to a high percentage of pilots (mostly captains) that will vote "NO" in favor of a strike.

Last edited:
If it makes anyone feel better. I heard from a pretty good source that we arent cutting back nearly as much this fall. So lVI's shouldn't be hurt too much

If it makes anyone feel better. I heard from a pretty good source that we arent cutting back nearly as much this fall. So lVI's shouldn't be hurt too much
We will find out in on August 12th what September looks like. As of the 10-Q filed yesterday by Airtran Holdings, we are predicting 3rd quarter capacity down 1-2% and 4th quarter capacity up 4-6%.

Last year, we cut block hours 26% between August and September. If we only cut 15% this year, you still have to remember we have around 445 crews bidding on the 717. That will be alot of guys for 25,000 or 26,000 block hours worth of flying.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum LVI? I know there is a max monthly, quarterly, and yearly LVI.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum LVI? I know there is a max monthly, quarterly, and yearly LVI.

No, the monthly 70 hour guarantee takes care of the floor.

Latest resources

Back