Any former SIUers out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello,
SIU 96' grad here via the military extension program at NAS North Island. Retired from the Navy in 00', and now fly the Beech 1900 for CJC.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Stuka Luva said:
You're not talking about Dan Lasner are you?

Stuka,

No, he's talking about Jeff Tartar, who works at FSI in STL now. Lasner took over after Tartar blew his eardrums and lost his medical. Mr. Brewer, who owned the CJ, did pass on a few years ago and the jet was sold and the internship ended. Last I heard Lasner was working for Arch Helicopters out of Sparta, IL. and doing some 135 work for aeroflight in Marion. All of this info is about two or three years old, so it may have changed a bit. Hope that helps.

Aceshigh

Thanks Aces

Interesting stuff. That internship was quite a valuable experience. Lasner was ok to fly with I guess. But, having to split a hotel room with him in EWR because the hotel was all sold out and having to see him watch TV in his T Shirt and tighty-whities was not my idea of a good time.

Glad to hear he's doing well though.

Shoot, I remember my first class; Weather with Mauro Ruiz in Faner Hall. Faner's so confusing it's a miracle I made it to class at all.

Bringin back memories!

Wow, yeah Faner, that was the "riot proof" one right?

I am old, I graduated spring 94, the years have passed quick, I miss Carbondale, Winston, Frankies, Pags, La Roma wed night special (now that i think about it, that pepsi was flat!), burning cars, all the racial tension, thompson point hoes (don't walk back to Mae Smith through the woods after you slip out of her room at 3 am), 710 bookstore, the bbq festival in murphysboro, Giant city, the lakes, spillway, Zips 99cent burger, sidetracks, the hot babes at U'hall, NewMeyer that goofball remember his office? (the small one before like 93?) S**t everywhere! Oh how bout all the hot dental hygienists in the CTC with us?

anyone other than me live at wides village between m,boro and c'dale?

anyone ever eat at triple E bbq?

Was is just me or did everyone crossing the road on foot around campus just walk off the curb and cross the street without looking? they had the right of way and they knew it!

I miss the love from the Detours bouncers, they were so kind and gentle.

You know my last day before I left SIU I went behind the cafeteria that served the towers (name escapes me) and I was looking for boxes to move my stuff home in, and the empty chicken boxes I found said, "GRADE F (edible)" on them, no s**T!

-GOO

Ahhh, memories.

BTW, there's quite a few of us here at B6. In fact, our head of pilot recruitment is an alum. Heckuva guy, too.

A couple of posts by Burt Reynolds had me thinking. Yes, I remember 611 Pizza. And Happy Inn. The "hump day special" at La Roma's was outstanding, even if the soda was flat. Sitting out in front of the place late evening over the summer with a pitcher of MGD watching everyone stumble from Pags and The Hangar...hilarious.

Oh yeah, here's one that no one has mentioned yet-- The Munchie Truck. Munchie Man. Mr. Munchie. Mr. Sandwich. The Munchie Dude. I know these well. That was one of my jobs for 3 years. All the Roast Beef and Swiss sammies and Honey Buns you could eat, gratis.

What a great place.

Cheers to my Saluki brothers!

SCR

OMG its really good to see there are some salukis out there that are still kickin it. I know there are a few of us that I know of at SkyWest.

Are you guys still flying around those old 152's?

BTW. bambas rocks.

They sold a bunch of them and got new 172's. BIG improvement. Saw one of the old 152's a couple of weeks ago sitting on a ramp. Can't remember which one but it still had the letters on the tail. Gave it away instantly.

There are several of us here at Air Wisconsin too

Theres a bunch of people at Skywest. I know of at least 3 or 4. One of them is a former SIU instructor.

Unfortuantly the Munchie Man got shut down like 2 years ago. When I lived at the towers that was so convinent. Turkey and swiss sub man, only way to go. Had a bunch of those. SIU officials made him shut down operations in the circle in front of Schnieder Hall because it was dangerous or it clogged traffic or something. Not sure if he moved to a different locale or not because I never saw him again really after leaving the towers in 2000. La Bambas is the bomb. When someone says I want to go to Chipotle, I say I want to go to La Bambas and they say La bam wha? I've walked many miles from pinch to get one of those supers. Hmmm...i'm hungary now.

Latest resources

Back