Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any comebacks for the 'small plane' comment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know, it's not as big as the Greyhound bus your used to riding on, but heck the ticket cost half as much and we'll get you there 10 times faster

There are two things you never tell a man is small. One of them is his airplane.

If I hear the "small plane" comments while I am in the jetway with the passenger who said it, I usually say to them (so that others can hear, too) "you should have seen the LAST plane they put on this route... can you believe FOUR fuel stops to get there? Thank God, we will only need TWO fuel stops in this little guy, WELCOME ABOARD!"

At least one of the surrounding passengers always asks the flight attendant, "will we be on time?"

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

I hear that alot while they are boarding, and I just tell them they are standing too far away.

Small plane,...

.....but I wear big shoes and big gloves!

It's funny, I small the flyingest rig in the cargo code sharing "regional" business (for turbine aircraft anyway) and the funniest thing is when you got 8 assholes sitting in the terminal tugging at your sleeve and waving cash to get the hell out of Dodge, when the last Saab 340 flight has been cancelled for some reason.

It's almost reminds me of the scenes where they had the people storming the Embassy gates at the end of the Viet Nam.

Not nocking the 121 regional crews, they have to divert for fuel or scheduling issues, it's not their fault the AWOS lifts for a minute or two, 10 minutes after they have headed south.

I'm not kidding you, there were at least eight guys that swarmed me with their roll-ons one blustery winter evening.

On another evening last winter, the ramp was glazed over with ice and it was raining and windy, so the flight got cancelled. To top it off, I couldn't hangar the caravan during the daytime layover, because county had a contractor in the hangar with a cherry picker doing maint on all the overhead heaters. One wrench through the wing of the van and we'd all be looking for new jobs.

So I tied the plane down outside and when I came back to airport in the evening, the ramp was glare ice and it was windy as all get out. I had to get the county to sand in front of me as I pull the plane back inside because the plane would weather cock when I tried to tug it with the walk along tug.

Long story even dumber, the ramp agents from the regional that rents us hangar space were inside the hangar when I finally was able to muscle this thing inside and they both looked at the Caravan and shuddered and one of them said, "I would never ride in something that small!"

I'm thinking, "biatch, we get in here just as much as your Saab 340 guys do and thanks to the latitude we're given by operating under unscheduled 135 regulations, we actually get in here more!" (once again, no cut meant to the regional crews...we just operate under different rules and have more leeway regarding scheduling and operational considerations).

So anyway, I empathize with you guys regarding that get the small plane thing. I know you get it 100 times more than I do, because you fly pax.

Oh...I just remembered one other story!

Was taking flying lessons at a 141 school. Had to take a trip to Hilton Head to do a cross country or pick up another student that had a OTS plane...whatever. So I park infront of the FBO where they marshalled me in to a parking spot and they rolled out a red carpet for me. Hahaha...I'm in a Piper Tomahawk!

As I am walking in to the FBO, all these USAir Express passengers are outside sitting on their luggage, waiting to board their planes and this broad looks up as I walk by in my required school pilot's uniform and says, "My, we're a little bit overdressed for that airplane aren't we!"

I just looked at her like, "Biatch, vacation is over...it's back to reality for you! Enjoy the rest of your career slithering on the bottom side of the corporate glass ceiling like a snail!" Some people.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back