• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any colgan guys out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Colgan is what it is. I have been flying here for not quite a year have never had a reserve line and have flown like 850 hours. I have flown in all kinds of weather to all kinds of airports.

I came here to fly and upgrade. Not that a thousand pic will get me the world, but when the majors start hiring again i want to be ready. I also think the 50 seat world is going to get smaller soon.

the upgrade is slow now, but with colgan you never know. they may pick up some flying at any time and BAM! we are frantically looking for upgrades again.

there are many things that are great about this place.

Unfortunately some of the issues that coolside brought up are true as well.
many planes smell like a locker room. it is embarrasing. the cooling systems do suck on a lot of them. the cockpits are DIRTY! it is disgusting sometimes. some of the interiors of the planes are atrocious (when compared to say express jet).

But it is what it is and for me it is good

Last edited:
Just two more questions:
Anyone have any info on which bases are in greatest demand for FOs?
Also, are the health benies available for spouse and child?
Thanks...

Bases really run the gamut. If you look on the website, every outstation (with a few exceptions) is a base or domicile. Getting something or another out of training really depends on how many spots are open, where they need you, and what plane (beech or saab) you get. There is no set pattern to anything at Colgan.
That being said, the company's been good to me. Lots of flying, never sat reserve....just here to get some time and move on.

Colgan rules! I just took the dressing off my Colgan ankle tattoo. I says SAAB 2000 then underneath that Colgan rules. Prop 2 jet you are so nice. You constantly give good advice with tame humor. You are a really good poster. Can you F ing stop it. I want to throw up at the thought that I know you. Go stick it in the wrong hole with that woman of yours and stop wasting our time and embarassing the company.

Fly Colgan Air yesterdays equipment in to the future
Fly colgan Air we have an MEL for any thing and every thing
Fly Colgan Air pissing the world off 19 to 34 seats at a time
Fly Colgan Air where ferry permits are a way of life be we get you there.
Fly Colgan Air we use KY
Fly Colgan Air on a wing and some thing

From my experience here's the good and the bad about Colgan.

Good:
If you have a problem you can call some who will at least listen to your problem and may even help you out.

Movement!!!! need I say more.

Experience you can brag about if you're flying ILS's into RKD and BHB on winter nights.

Having good answers to furure HR questions when it comes to "How did you deal with a difficult Captain?"

Bad:

Outstation basing!!!!

The Colgan reserve tours

HYA MX (I guess it may have improved, but it was really bad when I was there)

REPO flights. Colgan does more part 91 than some flight schools.

PQI in January & February

Sitting on reserve in BHB during a snowstorm and getting call from scheduling to drive to Augusta while you cannot even get to the road.

Did I mention Outstation basing?

My advice to the future colgan pilot is have an electronic logbook. The combination of pt 91 and 121 flying can make you illegal real quick. That and alot of patience will go a long way.

Well here is my take. Deal with the crap for one year, get your type....deal with the crap another year in the left seat............transition.........deal with the crap for a couple more years....and land a kick ass spot somewhere else. Good plan huh?

Latest resources

Back