Antonov-22: Listen to this

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crash-proof

I saw this video expecting to hear something like a Hercules x 8, but man this was different, more akin to a helicopter....I bet those huge props are turning reaaaaalllyyy slow, around 1000rpm (or less?). Note: each motor puts out 15,000 hp!!!!

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=3778&rating=yes

I'd like to see this in person, wow!

I think it sounds like that due to the counter rotating props. Would be hard to imagine an a/c with performace numbers like that turning a prop 1000 rpm.

Keep in mind though that each prop is about 20ft in diameter (I think) so it doesn't take a lot of RPM to propell that huge mass of air. But I agree, the counter-rotation probably help create that unique sound.

Last edited:
The wings looked kind of weird...like they had some anhedral built into them.

I have an old video of the B-36 Peacemaker (6 turning, 4 burning!) and it sounded very similar to that 22 departing. I'm sure counter rotation has something to do with the sound, but I would imagine that the RGB has those HUGE props turning very slowly.
http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=36

On a side note, the Ospreey "rotors" turn at 700 and change.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
The wings looked kind of weird...like they had some anhedral built into them.

Most russian props had anhedral, such as the AN-12, 22 or 24. Tupolev's and Beriev's as well. Come to think of it I can't think of any rusky prop with dihedral. Not sure what the advantages were over dihedral.

crash-proof said:
Most russian props had anhedral, such as the AN-12, 22 or 24. Tupolev's and Beriev's as well. Come to think of it I can't think of any rusky prop with dihedral. Not sure what the advantages were over dihedral.
Anhedral v. Dihedral? Look at your low wing v. high wing. BAC 146 has anhedral...the big NWA airbus coming in last night had some really good diehedral coming in...it looked like a flying letter "V" and it's a low wing.

Come to think about it, the B-25 looked like it was no-hedral.

Maybe someone who has a technical explaination will chime in? TIS, Tony C, Avbud?

What advantage do those counter rotating props offer? I would think the front prop would interfere with the airflow around the second prop.

I think that if two props coming off the same engine is called contra-rotating. Counter rotating is on multi-engine airplanes to get rid of the critical engine.

I have heard several theories on why they do this, from the amount of power coming off the engine to help in the elimination of things like P-factor (which reduces drag, etc...).

Latest resources

Back