• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Antonov-22: Listen to this

crash-proof

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Posts
782
Total Time
Wasted
I saw this video expecting to hear something like a Hercules x 8, but man this was different, more akin to a helicopter....I bet those huge props are turning reaaaaalllyyy slow, around 1000rpm (or less?). Note: each motor puts out 15,000 hp!!!!

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=3778&rating=yes

I'd like to see this in person, wow!
 

ISaidRightTurns

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Posts
154
Total Time
1500
I think it sounds like that due to the counter rotating props. Would be hard to imagine an a/c with performace numbers like that turning a prop 1000 rpm.
 

crash-proof

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Posts
782
Total Time
Wasted
Keep in mind though that each prop is about 20ft in diameter (I think) so it doesn't take a lot of RPM to propell that huge mass of air. But I agree, the counter-rotation probably help create that unique sound.
 
Last edited:

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Posts
8,573
Total Time
7,000+
The wings looked kind of weird...like they had some anhedral built into them.
 

Geronimo4497

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Posts
591
Total Time
2300
I have an old video of the B-36 Peacemaker (6 turning, 4 burning!) and it sounded very similar to that 22 departing. I'm sure counter rotation has something to do with the sound, but I would imagine that the RGB has those HUGE props turning very slowly.
http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=36


On a side note, the Ospreey "rotors" turn at 700 and change.
 
Last edited:

crash-proof

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Posts
782
Total Time
Wasted
FN FAL said:
The wings looked kind of weird...like they had some anhedral built into them.

Most russian props had anhedral, such as the AN-12, 22 or 24. Tupolev's and Beriev's as well. Come to think of it I can't think of any rusky prop with dihedral. Not sure what the advantages were over dihedral.
 

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Posts
8,573
Total Time
7,000+
crash-proof said:
Most russian props had anhedral, such as the AN-12, 22 or 24. Tupolev's and Beriev's as well. Come to think of it I can't think of any rusky prop with dihedral. Not sure what the advantages were over dihedral.
Anhedral v. Dihedral? Look at your low wing v. high wing. BAC 146 has anhedral...the big NWA airbus coming in last night had some really good diehedral coming in...it looked like a flying letter "V" and it's a low wing.

Come to think about it, the B-25 looked like it was no-hedral.

Maybe someone who has a technical explaination will chime in? TIS, Tony C, Avbud?
 

KigAir

Viva France!
Joined
Apr 7, 2002
Posts
575
Total Time
-3.14
What advantage do those counter rotating props offer? I would think the front prop would interfere with the airflow around the second prop.
 

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Posts
675
Total Time
31Raps
I think that if two props coming off the same engine is called contra-rotating. Counter rotating is on multi-engine airplanes to get rid of the critical engine.

I have heard several theories on why they do this, from the amount of power coming off the engine to help in the elimination of things like P-factor (which reduces drag, etc...).
 

EagleRJ

Are we there yet?
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
1,490
Total Time
5800
I've heard that the Kuznetsov turboprop engine (this one) is one of the loudest propeller engines in existance, since the blade tips are transsonic during takeoff. You can even tell from the video, this is not a neighbor-friendly airplane! Picture a few hundred C-185s taking off together.

Engines with a lot of horsepower are frequently designed with counter-rotating propellers, to offset the effects of torque and control the diameter of the propeller. Airbus' new tactical transport, the A400, is going to have single-plane propellers, even though the engines will be making around 13,000 SHP each. A lot of people think that's going to be problematic, since it will be difficult to design engine mounts that can deal with that kind of torque.
The A400 is a story in itself. It was supposed to have entered service in the mid '90s, but to date it only exists on paper. The cause is more politics than technical hurdles, though.

That An-22 seems underpowered, like most Russian aircraft. It looked like they woudn't have made it if they had lost one at rotation!

FN FAL said:
Anhedral v. Dihedral? Look at your low wing v. high wing. BAC 146 has anhedral...the big NWA airbus coming in last night had some really good diehedral coming in...it looked like a flying letter "V" and it's a low wing.

Come to think about it, the B-25 looked like it was no-hedral.

Maybe someone who has a technical explaination will chime in? TIS, Tony C, Avbud?

Large aircraft with high wings frequently have anhedral to make them easier to maneouver. The pendulum effect adds so much static stability that the plane would have to have a much more powerful system of ailerons and spoilers. Adding anhedral tames that stability and makes the aircraft easier to roll with conventionally-sized control surfaces.
 

crash-proof

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Posts
782
Total Time
Wasted
Here's another relatively new design from antonov that employs the same mega-prop concept, the An-70..Also a very peculiar sounding beast but not as loud. This one sounds somewhat like...a V8??? Check it out..

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=2599&rating=yes

Also interesting to note the swept-back wings on this turboprop. The props also have swept-back tips. I read somewhere that this big bird was designed to replace the An-22. And from the video it doesn't look in the least underpowered!
 

Crizz

Big Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2003
Posts
628
Total Time
Almost
crash-proof said:
Here's another relatively new design from antonov that employs the same mega-prop concept, the An-70..Also a very peculiar sounding beast but not as loud. This one sounds somewhat like...a V8??? Check it out..

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=2599&rating=yes

Also interesting to note the swept-back wings on this turboprop. The props also have swept-back tips. I read somewhere that this big bird was designed to replace the An-22. And from the video it doesn't look in the least underpowered!

It is probably completely empty. Those ruskies are a little bit crazy though. That climbout was impressive!
 

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
4,911
Total Time
+/-13k
That has contra-rotating props on each engine, I believe. I still don't know how that works with the airflow and all. Guess I should have gone to Purdue instead of Butler... ;) TC
 
Top