• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Antonov-22: Listen to this

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've heard that the Kuznetsov turboprop engine (this one) is one of the loudest propeller engines in existance, since the blade tips are transsonic during takeoff. You can even tell from the video, this is not a neighbor-friendly airplane! Picture a few hundred C-185s taking off together.

Engines with a lot of horsepower are frequently designed with counter-rotating propellers, to offset the effects of torque and control the diameter of the propeller. Airbus' new tactical transport, the A400, is going to have single-plane propellers, even though the engines will be making around 13,000 SHP each. A lot of people think that's going to be problematic, since it will be difficult to design engine mounts that can deal with that kind of torque.
The A400 is a story in itself. It was supposed to have entered service in the mid '90s, but to date it only exists on paper. The cause is more politics than technical hurdles, though.

That An-22 seems underpowered, like most Russian aircraft. It looked like they woudn't have made it if they had lost one at rotation!

FN FAL said:
Anhedral v. Dihedral? Look at your low wing v. high wing. BAC 146 has anhedral...the big NWA airbus coming in last night had some really good diehedral coming in...it looked like a flying letter "V" and it's a low wing.

Come to think about it, the B-25 looked like it was no-hedral.

Maybe someone who has a technical explaination will chime in? TIS, Tony C, Avbud?

Large aircraft with high wings frequently have anhedral to make them easier to maneouver. The pendulum effect adds so much static stability that the plane would have to have a much more powerful system of ailerons and spoilers. Adding anhedral tames that stability and makes the aircraft easier to roll with conventionally-sized control surfaces.

Here's another relatively new design from antonov that employs the same mega-prop concept, the An-70..Also a very peculiar sounding beast but not as loud. This one sounds somewhat like...a V8??? Check it out..

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=2599&rating=yes

Also interesting to note the swept-back wings on this turboprop. The props also have swept-back tips. I read somewhere that this big bird was designed to replace the An-22. And from the video it doesn't look in the least underpowered!

crash-proof said:
Here's another relatively new design from antonov that employs the same mega-prop concept, the An-70..Also a very peculiar sounding beast but not as loud. This one sounds somewhat like...a V8??? Check it out..

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=2599&rating=yes

Also interesting to note the swept-back wings on this turboprop. The props also have swept-back tips. I read somewhere that this big bird was designed to replace the An-22. And from the video it doesn't look in the least underpowered!

It is probably completely empty. Those ruskies are a little bit crazy though. That climbout was impressive!

That has contra-rotating props on each engine, I believe. I still don't know how that works with the airflow and all. Guess I should have gone to Purdue instead of Butler... ;) TC

Latest resources

Back