Another What to Buy Thread (7 mill.)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rick James

Since an unnamed manufacturer (Piaggio) can't stick to a delivery schedule, we've been thinking of an alternative. The budget is around 7 million and would probably result in a second aircraft purchase of the same type. The difficult part so far has been to find a bird that has a similar size cabin as a Piaggio, but is fairly efficient. My thoughts so far:
CJ3= Seems to have a much smaller cabin, not that much faster. Nice thing is that we could stay single pilot.
Hawker=DO insists they are a pain to maintain, not a stellar performer. Appears to have a nice cabin though.
Lear=Runway length requirements similar to our current 604. The plus of the Lear, is that it could fill in for the Challenger on 2-3 pax transcons.
I'll admit to being a rookie in the corporate world so any suggestions would help. The execs would not be receptive to older aircraft, and hangar space would prohibit anything much larger than those mentioned. Thanks for the help.....

Lear 40 - in almost all instances can fill up the tanks, 6 pax, and bulk out the baggage (6 club sets plus) and blast off for 3:00 to 3:30 and land with reserves off of 5000 feet of runway at 25C, climb right to 430 and up to 450 an hour later.

Lear 45 - do the same but with 8 pax and go 3:30 - 4:00 with an APU. The XR will jump off short runways and climb to 430 or 450 with no problems.

Both Lears will get you somewhere at .80 before your hair turns gray from doing a slow 290 knots in a comeptitor's airplane. You can pick up a used 40 for 6.5 Mil and up or a 45 from 7.5 and up (guesses). I've got 2 for sale right now (I'm not a broker - just a pilot who flew both of these 2 that are for sale). PM me if you have questions on the airplanes or want contact numbers, etc.

AZT

Lear 40 - in almost all instances can fill up the tanks, 6 pax, and bulk out the baggage (6 club sets plus) and blast off for 3:00 to 3:30 and land with reserves off of 5000 feet of runway at 25C, climb right to 430 and up to 450 an hour later.

Lear 45 - do the same but with 8 pax and go 3:30 - 4:00 with an APU. The XR will jump off short runways and climb to 430 or 450 with no problems.

Both Lears will get you somewhere at .80 before your hair turns gray from doing a slow 290 knots in a comeptitor's airplane. You can pick up a used 40 for 6.5 Mil and up or a 45 from 7.5 and up (guesses). I've got 2 for sale right now (I'm not a broker - just a pilot who flew both of these 2 that are for sale). PM me if you have questions on the airplanes or want contact numbers, etc.

AZT

I agree with AZTyped. I would focus attention on two types: Lear 40/45 and the CJ3 (if you can find one).

It seems the more I research the more it seems the Lear 45 may fit the bill. I really like the fact it has an optional APU. What is your typical fuel burn in the mid-30's? We do a lot of 350 nm trips so it needs to be fairly efficient.

The CJ3 over a Lear only seems viable looking at runway performance. If memory serves you must over-wing fuel on the CJ, no APU, pretty slow, and a smaller cabin. Thanks for the help guys.

I just got back from a trip in the 45. No BR mod. The trip was 355nm each way. 6 pax+bags, medium fuel load.

We burned 1500# going East with 1 hour flight time, 1575# on the return clocking in at 1+06. Not bad in my opinion!

Take a look at a Premier. Nice cabin, fast, efficient, single pilot, Proline 21, and efficient. It is also cheaper. Good luck

Latest resources

Back