• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another What to Buy Thread (7 mill.)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Premiere's aren't that great in the performance department. I do like the Lear but I would seriously consider an Excel. Stand up cabin, double club seating for 8 and pretty good short field performance. The Net Jet guys would be able to tell you all the good, bad and ugly about this bird.

For those that know, besides the Pro Line 21 what does the XLS have over the Excel? Also, do they have a tiller or pedal steering. The chief pilot is leaning towards an Excel/XLS. Thanks again for the help!

I use to fly an Excel, don't really know the differences from the XLS. Comfortable up front for the pilots, great baggage, good range, good short field, nice galley, APU (thumbs up). I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

Hey All

I'm in a similar situation. We currently have a CJ3, and the boss is disappointed that he can not make HPN-DEN everyday.

Can any Excel drivers chime in??? Our mission: HPN-DEN nonstop - How many pax can we carry with an Excel?

A Lear 45 may be a better choice for us, but the boos seems to like Cessna's

Hey All

I'm in a similar situation. We currently have a CJ3, and the boss is disappointed that he can not make HPN-DEN everyday.

Can any Excel drivers chime in??? Our mission: HPN-DEN nonstop - How many pax can we carry with an Excel?

A Lear 45 may be a better choice for us, but the boos seems to like Cessna's

You can make that trip everyday in the LR-45- Fill the seats and go

For those that know, besides the Pro Line 21 what does the XLS have over the Excel? Also, do they have a tiller or pedal steering. The chief pilot is leaning towards an Excel/XLS. Thanks again for the help!

The Pro Line 21 doesn't show up till the XLS+. I think there is a slight performance increase with the XLS over the Excel.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Encore. Should be able to do HPN-DEN with 4 pax pretty consistently. Small cabin though.

The Pro Line 21 doesn't show up till the XLS+. I think there is a slight performance increase with the XLS over the Excel.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Encore. Should be able to do HPN-DEN with 4 pax pretty consistently. Small cabin though.

I fly an Encore for NJA and I would say that HPN-DEN would be a bit of a reach. I think you could probably do it in the summer if you went right to 450 and pulled it back to long range cruise but in winter I don't see it happening with any regularity. The Encore is a great airplane for a 3+30 hour trip and rockets off short runways like no jet i've flown - amazing climg performance and a solid .74-.75 airplane but when you start looking at legs over 1500 miles you need to start considering something else. An Excel wouldn't be a bad choice, a Hawker would probably be a better one, much nicer cabin and no problems with the range.

I fly an Encore for NJA and I would say that HPN-DEN would be a bit of a reach. I think you could probably do it in the summer if you went right to 450 and pulled it back to long range cruise but in winter I don't see it happening with any regularity. The Encore is a great airplane for a 3+30 hour trip and rockets off short runways like no jet i've flown - amazing climg performance and a solid .74-.75 airplane but when you start looking at legs over 1500 miles you need to start considering something else. An Excel wouldn't be a bad choice, a Hawker would probably be a better one, much nicer cabin and no problems with the range.

Actually, HPN- DEN is under 1500 miles (1408). But I hadn't checked before my first post, and I agree that it would be a stretch, especially coming out of the Notheast. However I have done MGY- MYF and landed with 1000+ lbs, and SGF- CYYT and landed with 1200 lbs. Both of those trips were with good WX at the destination.

There really isn't a lot of difference with the Excel and the XLS. Some minor changers in avionics. The Brake reservoir was moved from the nose compartment to the left rear side on the XLS (just foward of the battery compartment). The APU was optional in the Excel. In the XLS the APU is standard. Excel has PW545A engines, XLS PW545B.There were someother engineering changes, but that is the big changes.

The only way to tell the two apart if they are sitting on the ground is to look at the main landing gear wells. In the Excel with the gear retracted a small amount of the tire was in the windstream. On the XLS there is a fairing located on the wheel well.

That is correct that there is a slight performance increase too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back