• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another Serious Question: NJA or CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The NJA 100k is based on a 90K base with overtime that cannot be counted on. The flying was diverse but like most thing its not all that glamorous. Fly to some exotic destination, get your gas and pax, leave. I too made the jump from frac to 121 and its the best descision I ever made. As Chuck said commuting does suck but if you live at base or don't mind the commute then take the plunge.
Every company is a gamble right now, NJA is no different. I would be more worried with that management than with any merger talks at Cal.

I do not know much about NJA other than what has been posted here but if you are making the $$$ to support your family and live where you want then the only question is if you want to trade that in for flying bigger airplanes and int'l destinations?
I would stay at NJA. Based on the current airline situation and questions looming in the future versus your present income and size,sement of industry and reputation of your current employer. Good luck w/ your decision.

Do what you need to do in order to be able to sleep at night, and not worry about it.

In this industry, you're not going to know if you made the right decision until after you're retired.

320AV8R

Lake Alice said:
The NJA 100k is based on a 90K base with overtime that cannot be counted on. The flying was diverse but like most thing its not all that glamorous. Fly to some exotic destination, get your gas and pax, leave. I too made the jump from frac to 121 and its the best descision I ever made. As Chuck said commuting does suck but if you live at base or don't mind the commute then take the plunge.
Every company is a gamble right now, NJA is no different. I would be more worried with that management than with any merger talks at Cal.

My man don't be tossing stones now, you to used to work at NJA. Everyone is happy YOUR happy at JB. Going to CAL is nothing but a gamble. To make up that 100K would take at least 7 years.

PS: let me know when you get tired of going JFK/LGB/BUR/SEA/SAN ETC
You mention glamorous........ isn't it the same job but a bigger plane?

thanks

Thanks for all the sincere posts!

I agree with all that Lake Alice said including that "7&7 sucks" It is tough being gone 7 days in a row. Unfortionatly I haven't found a job where I don't have to work a certain amount each month. I'm the kind of individual who would rather just get it over with as soon as possible.

The good part about it is, each time I get home it's a mini vacation. 7 days to do whatever I like, free from anything with wings. I make only 2 drives to and from the airport a month. I don't non-rev on my off days.

I actually prefer 7&7 relative to an airline reserve schedule. It's a decent number of days off per month. As an airline line holder, I'd probably need some seniority, and I'd have to put some thought and effort into bidding a line to get my minimum monthly flight time with that many days off??? Please feel free to tell me why your dog's better than mine. I think I've made up my mind to stay, but I find these posts very helpful with my decision process.

Thanks for posting the payscale. With regards to the CAL pay: How would I estimate career earnings there? Specifically, ballpark upgrade times and ball park hrs/ month. Is 80 a good average? Is widebody captain attainable withinin 20 yrs?

Thanks again and Happy Quanza

Is starting over at $27,000/yr, with no benefits for 6 months, at the bottom of a legacy carrier rumored to be merging with another, really putting your family first?

Airmike767 said:
Anew hire today at CAL will be close to 50% in five years.
Check the current pay scales and while CAL faces some serious debt refinancing in the next two years, it is also well positioned for the future.

Yeah right! When the age 60 thing gets changed you will not be 50% for quite a lot longer than that. And that's assuming there is not a merger. Airmike--you seem to believe in CAL. That's great and I hope the best for you. I just respectfully disagree with the hype. Merry Xmas and Happy Festivus.

If you are senior to me, then you definitely must choose Continental! Otherwise, if you really want to fly heavy iron, try to get hired by FedEx or UPS. Unless you plan on living in a junior Continental domicile, going there would be a lateral move, at best. Lots of downward pressure on airline wages still coming in the next few years.

Of course, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it . . . . Good luck on your decision.

Latest resources

Back