Another MU2 down...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TIGV said:
U are an idiot, I don't want to see your face on this forum again....
Why don't you folks without a f#$%^ clue about anything never mind this thread just shut the fu#$ up ?????????????????

Very nice, TIGV....sweet, you tell'em.

I totally sympathize and understand what the loved ones are going through. But DON'T EVER forget, that it is hard on the FRIENDS too--every time I have to "toast" a fallen comrade, whether a very close friend, or just an aquaintance (Sam was a friend), it brings tears to my eyes.
Have you ever seen a grown man cry...?

If you read these comments in this thread, you can quickly figure out who has intimate experience with the Deuce, and the others.

And like I said before, (and Corpflunkie, too, I think): Both ACT accidents are still under investigation. No one knows what happenend yet.

What if it was a bad GS signal; what if there was a physiological event involved (like a heartattack), and the list goes on.

I'd like to see you yeahoos run your mouthes then!!! Until then, shut the puck up, cause it's disrespectful to us, the collegues and friends of the deceased.

And that's all I have to say about that.

ACT700 said:
Have you ever seen a grown man cry...?

I'd like to see you yeahoos run your mouthes then!!! Until then, shut the puck up, cause it's disrespectful to us, the collegues and friends of the deceased.

Yes....and thank you...if any of you blaming the pilots for everything should happen to ever be in the same situation (god forbid) and happen to not walk away....we can talk about it on the other side, I'll be waiting for you to say "Yeah, it was all my fault, I'm an idiot." Until then, don't be so sure you're so right, if you're ever proven wrong, you'll feel like a dumba$$.

don't take my comments as a personal insult to you, or anyone for that matter.

that is not my intent. i don't know what happened in December, i don't know what happened in BWI, i don't know what happened over Mass., nor do i know what happened thursday, so i can't and won't make any comments on that.
at least not until the ntsb comes up with something official.

all i can comment on are my personal experiences with the deuce: it is by far the most challanging, demanding, but on the other hand also rewarding a/c to fly. and that last part is what makes me stick with flying it. i tuly do enjoy it, for the most part. if i didn't, i wouldn't be flying it.

i don't know if my fellow mu2 honkys (term used without permission!) feel the same way?

like someone said before, in this bird you have to bring your "a" game. anything less, and you're just plain lucky--and that's a fact.

i have caught myself doing stupid things in the plane, but i know that, and have incorporated the lesson(s) learned, in my future (how to put this?) handling, or flying of the aircraft.

people, the mu2 is not a 172, or seneca, or navajo, or 727--it is less forgiving and will bite you faster than you can say "doh"!

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: this is not an a/c to learn to fly single pilot 135 ifr in!!!

oh, and if i do bite the dust in the deuce (of this possibility i am very well aware!) and it is determined that i fukt up, then by all means do post away... and i'll be happy to discuss it on the "other" side.
although personally i don't think we'll see each other on the other side, as i'm gonna be on the "down" elevator!

but until that day, i'm gonna enjoy flying this magnificent, yet weird flying machine.

to my fallen comrades: i salute you, godspeed.
ps: too tired to capitalize properly.

WNRHD17 said:
Yes....and thank you...if any of you blaming the pilots for everything should happen to ever be in the same situation (god forbid) and happen to not walk away....we can talk about it on the other side, I'll be waiting for you to say "Yeah, it was all my fault, I'm an idiot." Until then, don't be so sure you're so right, if you're ever proven wrong, you'll feel like a dumba$$.
I hope when I go, that it's not with a stupid look on my face...but then again, thank genetics for that.

Some of you may have miss cued (or even ignored) on my "mentos fresh maker" reply to ailerongirl regarding the comment about which plane is or should be called a "widow maker".

Lots of planes have an adjective to describe them..."doctor killer" comes to mind. Remember the spate of Malibu crashes back in the early 90's? Then, the ATR came into the limelight with the Roselawn crash. I also seem to remember the moniker, "Piper Death Star" (Aerostar). What about the Piper "Trauma Hawk"?

Currently NASA is looking into why the Caravan has such a bad accident history regarding flight into icing conditions...so far the only recomended bandaid cure all, is an ICE DETECTOR system. Good gawd man, an ice detector on a Caravan? How about a better anti/deice system? This ice detector set up is redundant and ultimately places more emphasis on the pilot...which is what the FAA is going to do should they investigate the MU2 and "discover" that it has it's "quirks". Those quirks will result in a required airplane manual update about the quirk and after that, emphasis will be put on the pilots after any crash, where said quirk was a causal factor in the crash.

I think all planes have their nuances, the one I fly is slow, climbs slow and accumulates ice fairly well. I like to think of it as an "ice maker" not a "widow maker". But then again, I'm an optimist.

The MU2 is fast plane and from what I have heard from posters on this board, is that it can be a handfull, even when both are turning. Since I have no operating experience in the MU2, just friends that have flown them...all I can say is that as pilots, please use caution when flying any aircraft, because they can all reach up and bite you, pointy front end or not.

the only reason those freight companies have them is because no one that flys people wanted them anymore, so they were very cheap. it is time to send them to the boneyard.

semperfido said:
the only reason those freight companies have them is because no one that flys people wanted them anymore, so they were very cheap. it is time to send them to the boneyard.

Thought I told idiots to stay off this thread, for a similar year and equip an MU-2 is more expensive than a Kingair C-90..... I digress, the MU-2 was specifically designed to not require a type rating, the result? A load of very rich low time private pilots ratcheting up the aircraft type's accident statistics.

The MU 2 now services two requirements: Corporate and freight,
Corporate Pilots in the MU-2 will seldom fly over 300 hours a year, that is not sufficient currency in ANY aircraft never mind a high performance turboprop, if things start to go awry, once more feeding fuel to the MU-2's accident data.

On the other end of the scale:

Freighters fly around 1200 to 1500 hours a year, if an outfit has 10 aircraft the approximate utilization per year, fleet wide, will be around 15 thousand hours of operational flight time and anywhere between 9 and 10 thousand operational cycles ( takeoffs and landings )
Take this data and multiply it by all the MU-2's currently flying in the freight capacity and I think you will find that no matter how tragic and upsetting each loss has been, they fall right in line with the statistical accident data for not just the MU-2 but a WHOLE load of other aircraft also.

As mentioned previously, idiots keep yourselves to yourselves, I'm sick of hearing about how bad the aircraft is, especially from complete morons. The intent of this thread is to pay honor and respect to those unfortunate aviators in our family who are no longer with us.

Wow, Semperfido, I guess you have told, now go to your corner and stop with this drible. After all WTF can you possibly contribute to this forum? eyes roll! Can't anybody have a civil conversation on this board anymore?

Where there is smoke there is fire

Sorry to hear about this again. Having spent about 6 years in the check business back in the late 70's and early 80's, I can truely feel sad for the families and friends of those lost.
Flying the check business in aircraft that have basically been discarded by corporate aviation has it's inherent liabilities. Back in the early days we mostly flew lear 23's that had the same reputation as the MU-2. I lost a few very close friends during that time. It is the combination of old aircraft, mx on an as needed basis due to cost controls, and the pressure not only to get there regardless of the wx but also do it on time that really stacks the ball against the pilots over the years. Cancelled check pilots with a few years experience are by far the most skilled aviators that I have ever flown with.
The unfortunate part of any trend in analysis is that when the numbers of incidents start to increase then it becomes apparent that something is wrong. While the MU-2 certainly has a reputation it is still the same airplane that hopefully everyone gets trained to handle. Lear 23 same thing or any 20 series lear for that matter.
My personal belief is that it is the environment in which they are operated that creates the situations that lead to accidents. The we have to get in the first time and quickly thing has it's obvious risk as does the we have to get airborne quickly and headed for the next Fed Res down the line regardless of certain risk.
The people actually running these companies put an incredable amount of pressure on there organizations to get the job done every night. There is either an adequate structure to support the troops or there is not. My experience has been that the companies that embrace a get the job done attitude but at the same time support the troops with stability in terms of mx and maybe even simple dialog about the limits of the game seem to have a better safety record.
The main person behind this company in CO also lost a crew in a lear at EWR back in 1983. Once again he did not have a certificate and was somehow flying on somebody elses ticket.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Just my .02

Spooky 1 said:
Wow, Semperfido, I guess you have told, now go to your corner and stop with this drible. After all WTF can you possibly contribute to this forum? eyes roll! Can't anybody have a civil conversation on this board anymore?

not to worry. doesn't change a thing.the bravado from some doesn't impress me much. the mu2 is a flying relic. it is pretty evident.

Let Everyone Have Their Say...

GravityHater said:
But please don't try to force your personal decision down the entire rest of the country's throat!

In case some of you didn't know who WNRHD and I are, we're the younger sisters of Paul "Skyking". The reason why were are defending our views on the mu-2 being a piece of junk airplane is because part of our FLESH AND BLOOD DIED IN ONE. we're trying to get others to realize that IN OUR EYES, that plane was the vehicle for his death. we don't really care what its record is, bad or not, because of our pain we go through every day knowing we'll never hear that laugh again, it hurts us to know that someone had to go through a very familiar experience thursday. we're all VERY aware that none of us has flown an mu-2, so we dont' know how it handles specifically or how well it may feel to fly it. But either way, when we hear people say "you can only fly this plane with you 'a-game'", we do take that personally...b/c Paul wouldn't have brought anything less than his 'a-game' when flying, and it's a slap in our face.
if something happened to your wife/ husband/ son/ daughter/ sibling in the car they were driving and he died...and the only thing you know is that it was most likely something wrong with the car (say a wheel fell off, whatever) and it happened to many other of the exact type of car. could you honestly tell me you wouldn't question the mechanics, the dealer, the maker of the car, the actual car itself???? That's all we're doing...we're questioning...why? b/c it's OUR WAY TO GRIEVE. PLEASE DON'T TAKE AWAY OUR CHANCE TO QUESTION...LET THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE AN OPINION SAY IT. don't just tell them to sit in a corner. this is supposed to be a discussion, not a 3 year old bickering contest.

and to take a little poll...from the people who back the mu-2 up 100%, have you ever lost a close, blood relative in that plane? b/c i know what it feels like to lose friends, and compared to losing a brother--it's a lot less difficult. but i'm just curious...WHO HERE HAS LOST A FAMILY MEMBER TO AN MU-2???? or any other plane, and let me know your thoughts on that credability of that plane.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back