Another degree question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Degree....

I definitely appreciate the advice guys!

It's a very tough decision, only because I know I could finish the degree online, but it is true that I would miss out on everything else a 21 year old would miss out on.

With that being said, a comfortable lifestyle at this point would be a nice thing as well...

B1900FO said:
I definitely appreciate the advice guys!

It's a very tough decision, only because I know I could finish the degree online, but it is true that I would miss out on everything else a 21 year old would miss out on.

With that being said, a comfortable lifestyle at this point would be a nice thing as well...

dont let "comfortable lifestyle" fool you....it will be good for a few years but will peak out quick w/o a degree.

have fun, go to school, airplanes will always be there.

i always agree with g200 on this issue...i agree... don't be shortsighted..i was flying a LR35 when i was 19 and i thought $40,000 was huge...but others convinced me not to be shortsighted about the cash and get a degree so it will benefit me down the road...$40,000 is now 2 months pay..get the degree...good luck

Degree? Someone say degree?

This is still a fantastic career, with or without a degree. If person wants a degree they should by all means get a degree. If a person does not want a degree, then they should also be supported in their decision to go about a different career pursuit. However it seems on this board the only path one can pursue without being told how stupid they are, is the college only route. To go full time and get a degree, run up big debt and only do it to check a box on 1 out of 100 applications seems counter productive to me. Going part time in your case would seem to be a reasonable idea. You may be gifted with a level of discipline that others do not have, this will allow you to complete your degree part-time. You will make your own decisions, make them for the right reasons. Do not be swayed by either the pro degree or con degree forces of evil dwelling on this board. But then I am old fashioned and do not care if anyone has a degree or not.

Last edited:
I was in your same shoes about 12 years ago. I took the job and did the degree online through riddle. Was fortunate enough to have the company pay for the colege as well. It took me 9 years to finish, but if I would have been more disciplined could have done it in 5. Ive been at SWA for 4 years and enjoy it tremendously, but I probably wouldnt have been hired if it werent for the degree. The only drawback going the corporate route is that the companies that i flew for only flew 250-300 hours a year, besides that had a ball and made really good money. Just dont get stupid and get married till youre much older.

Congrats Falcon Jet one, you also appear to gifted with discipline that others do not have, and you successfully completed your part time degree while flying. You are a role model. BTW how much debt did you run up going to college?

Yip, yet again, I have to disagree with you. While I concur wholeheartedly that you can have a great career with or without the degree, it would be foolhardy to pass up the opportunity to get an education when it's sitting right there in front you. Especially since the better jobs require it.

B1900 FO, go to school and get the degree. The airplanes will always be there. I always thought I didn't need it. My attitude has been that I'm self-educated, a published author, with more aviation and life experience than that of my counterparts that went to State University while I was serving my country. I was going to rely on my ability to interview well to put me out in front of the rest. (I've been hired at every airline I've ever interviewed at, 6/0.) Here's the "rest of the story" though: Without the degree, chances are you won't get called for the interview. Read that sentence again. Take a look at my qualifications. Half of that TT is turbine PIC. I've held numerous management positions, including Airline Director of Safety. My phone is not ringing. If I had the degree, I'd be at SWA or CAL.

As it stands, I'm upgrading next month, and will be using my reserve time in Newark to finish my bachelor's. (2 big GRE's and a handful of cleps to go.)

Read G200's first post. Heck, print it out and put it on your fridge.

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back