• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another AirNow EMB-110 Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This EMB 110 is a widow maker as they say in South America. Maybe 50% of all manufactured had some incident or fatal crash. I lost 2 friends from different companies flying the EMB 110 down south.

Also Airnow convert the cockpit to a single pilot plane by pulling all of the instruments (attitude, altimeter, A/I, etc) out of co-pilot side to reduce weight... So I don't know how much would it help to have second pilot on the cockpit. They will have to make some major remodeling in their fleet.

Scube.

Not all the airplanes had all the instruments removed from the right side. This hit's home for me I was there for a long time. The maint and training for these airplanes was in my opionion very good. Those people never asked me to do anything unsafe never asked me to fly a broken airplane. The chief pilot his pilot safety at the front of his thoughts. Besides after the last crash all check rides went though the FAA in the Bandit. It sucks big time to lose a good man an d a good pilot. GOD rest his soul.

An AirNow caravan driver told me that they think he accidentally punched the airport into the GPS instead of the VOR. That explains why he crashed 6 miles past the airport. The VOR is six miles before the airport. This is just a rumor and I'm not trying to blame the poor guy. Lets all wait and see what the NTSB has to say. My condolences to all who knew him. You freight dawgs be careful out there.

This EMB 110 is a widow maker as they say in South America.
Is this the "Bandit", I thought this would be a very easy aircraft to operate, any comments from EMB 110 drivers? RIP.

flew it 20 yrs ago or so for about 500hrs..found it to be very docile and stable...bit anemic in an eng-out go-around but satisfactory...but your feet froze off when extending the gear in cold weather...

Say Again Over said:
Is this the "Bandit", I thought this would be a very easy aircraft to operate, any comments from EMB 110 drivers? RIP.

I logged 1300 hrs in the Bandit a few years ago, mostly with f/o seated behind a basic six pack of steam gauges. My side had an HSI,and we had /G GPS. Most of the flying was at night, and several hundred hours were single pilot.

Except for anemic single engine climb (calculated 198 ft/mile at sea level / standard atmo at GTOW), I was very comfortable with this type. It was actually a puddytat (can't say "*************************cat" any more, I guess) as long as attention was paid to trim.

RIP to another freight dog.

Last edited:
I flew the bandit for AirNow for 3 years and it was an easy plane to fly(actually the first twin I ever soloed..). Fairly simple systems, definately not too much for 1 pilot to handle in an emergency. Trainging was OK, in my opinon they really need a sim though. You just cant realistically simulate some things while in an actualy aircraft. These accidents are giving the bandit a bad name, a 172 will be a "widow maker" if you run out of fuel, dont fly the published miss right, etc.. I think the main thing here is incompetant pilots. Single pilot freight isnt for everyone as too many unfortunate souls have proven.

freighthumper said:
I flew the bandit for AirNow for 3 years and it was an easy plane to fly(actually the first twin I ever soloed..). Fairly simple systems, definately not too much for 1 pilot to handle in an emergency. Trainging was OK, in my opinon they really need a sim though. You just cant realistically simulate some things while in an actualy aircraft. These accidents are giving the bandit a bad name, a 172 will be a "widow maker" if you run out of fuel, dont fly the published miss right, etc.. I think the main thing here is incompetant pilots. Single pilot freight isnt for everyone as too many unfortunate souls have proven.

True that!

An AirNow caravan driver told me that they think he accidentally punched the airport into the GPS instead of the VOR. That explains why he crashed 6 miles past the airport. The VOR is six miles before the airport. This is just a rumor and I'm not trying to blame the poor guy. Lets all wait and see what the NTSB has to say. My condolences to all who knew him. You freight dawgs be careful out there.

The exact same scenario happened up in Presque Isle, Maine back in 1998. A piston twin did the approach with the ILS down, using a Loran. Dialed in the airport, not the vor that was 3 miles down the road. Did all the step down fixes exactly 3 miles too early. Hit hill. Very messy deal.
Remember guys,,, garbage in, garbage out.
Be careful!!

Hung

Latest resources

Back