• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lear70

JAFFO
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Pilot ire plagues US Airways merger

By Staff and wire reports
Sunday, May 13, 2007

Last weekend, shortly after US Airways pilots learned where they rank on a long-awaited seniority list, the airline's on-time performance plunged.

Half the Tempe, Ariz., airline's flights were delayed last Sunday -- levels not seen since its March meltdown -- but without the reservation-systems problems or winter weather to blame. Coincidence or concerted slowdown?

The airline attributed the poor performance to packed planes and said it held flights so it didn't strand passengers.

But pilots privately told a different story. They said some former US Airways pilots on the East Coast -- frustrated that many now rank below less-tenured America West pilots -- didn't show up for work, did the minimum required or took their time on routine items.

After the list came out, a Charlotte-based pilot warned in a posting on a union message board: "Get ready because this is about to get real ugly."

Last Sunday, 50 percent of US Airways' flights did not take off within 14 minutes of scheduled departure, the government's criteria for a delay. The airline had a 70 percent on-time departure record over the previous six Sundays, said US Airways' spokesman Morgan Durrant.

Of the more than dozen major airports in the Northeast, including Pittsburgh, only 30 percent of the 93 flights departing that day left on time, he said. The carrier could not immediately isolate the track record that day at Pittsburgh International Airport alone.

But Durrant did not blame last Sunday's tardy takeoffs on US Airways' pilots. Rather, more planes did not depart on time because of various customer-service issues, he said.

The Air Line Pilots Association, however, believes departure delays may have been caused by disgruntled US Airways pilots -- especially in the East, where the pre-merged US Airways pilots are based.

"I think (the delays) were a byproduct of the frustration our pilots feel right now," said Arnie Gentile, spokesman for ALPA's US Airways Master Executive Council. He noted there was no "coordinated effort or movement" by the union to delay flights.

Gentile said the arbitrator's recent ruling about merging the two pilots groups together unfairly meant, for instance, that a three-year first officer from the old America West Airlines could be promoted to captain ahead of a 20-year first officer from the old US Airways.

"There should be no windfall from one (group) at the expense of the other," said Gentile of the arbitrator's decision. The pilots' leadership intends to solicit the help of ALPA's international union leaders to get the ruling changed, he said.

The tension and fallout over seniority underscores the significant challenges ahead -- for the company and potentially for travelers -- as US Airways tries to clear the highest hurdle of its 20-month old America West-US Airways merger: combining its 36,000 employees into a single work force.
The airline is in contract negotiations with four major employee groups at once: pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and baggage handlers.

Executives need to bring the employees from both airlines under a single contract.

Until then, the airlines are effectively separate, with their own planes and flight crews. That has fostered an "Us vs. Them" attitude and prevented the airline from creating a united culture, so critical to the success of mergers.

US Airways isn't the only carrier grappling with a labor issue, although its problems are far more widespread than those facing other airlines.

American pilots recently asked the airline for a 30 percent raise and noted executives' bonuses and stock-option riches. Northwest's unions are balking at a big bankruptcy exit-pay package for that airline's CEO, and United workers are banding together to protest executive compensation.

At US Airways, rancor is steadily mounting, and the airline hasn't begun to tackle sticky issues like pay.

Employees are angry that executives already have seen a payoff from the merger while their negotiations are dragging on. They don't like the company's general stance that it can't afford across-the-board raises.

On March 27, US Airways pilots picketed at Pittsburgh International Airport to protest slow progress in post-merger contract negotiations.

There are union campaigns suggesting employees only do their own jobs, and even deliberate attempts by some employees to get management's attention by slowing down the operation or running up costs.

In interviews, some pilots say they are purposely taxiing slowly on takeoff and landing and waiting until just before takeoff to report problems, delaying the flight.

Frustrated mechanics say they are dragging out maintenance checks and taking their time getting to the gate when a problem is reported, and baggage handlers aren't loading as many bags on the conveyors as they usually do.

John McIlvenna, chairman of the America West unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, disavows any campaign to slow the operation. Many work actions are illegal under federal law.

But, he says, "I think a lot of people have lost the motivation to go the extra mile."

Gary Richardson, president of the America West branch of the Association of Flight Attendants, said, "Is their (employees') heart into this? No. There's been too many broken promises."

Both US Airways CEO Doug Parker and President Scott Kirby, the airline's labor point person, concede morale is low.

They insist, though, that they see no significant evidence employee actions are hindering operations.

"There are isolated incidents and maybe things that wouldn't have happened if we had a contract right now, but they are isolated incidents," Parker said.

Shannon Anderson, a Rice University management professor who studies airlines, says the labor negotiations are critical for US Airways at this moment.

"That is going to be the straw that either breaks the camel's back or lets them move forward to remedy some of their operational problems," she said. "That's the thing I'm watching most."
Well, I think that sums it up nicely... "Merge at your own peril."

Wonder if Parker has ANY idea what the problem is?

Dude...go away.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

"I don't make the news, I just report it."

Incidentally, if you don't like what I post, there's this neat little feature called "ignore".

Otherwise, just don't read it. All it takes is a little will power, which is why you don't see me on the other thread I said I was done with. It's called an "unsubscribe from discussion" link in the emails you get.

Lear,
The story is a couple days old but I am sure you knew that. Also, as an industry insider, I am sure you knew what parts of this article were spot on and which were 180 off. I am also sure you know who the unnamed pilots are since your knowledge is so far advanced. Seriously man, if it is a 190 FO seat you are after with Daddy's company at some point down the road be patient, it will happen. You do not have to stir the pot; we will be hiring off the street soon enough without your input.

He works for AirTran now. Ahhh remember the roaring 90s when people actually were leaving AirTran to come to US Airways?

Good times.

Lear,
The story is a couple days old but I am sure you knew that. Also, as an industry insider, I am sure you knew what parts of this article were spot on and which were 180 off. I am also sure you know who the unnamed pilots are since your knowledge is so far advanced. Seriously man, if it is a 190 FO seat you are after with Daddy's company at some point down the road be patient, it will happen. You do not have to stir the pot; we will be hiring off the street soon enough without your input.
*snicker*

Yeah, that's what I want. A 190 F/O seat...

I'm happy where I am, for now, barring a crappy contract or a similar Midwest integration where my upgrade gets delayed substantially.

Even then, there's not a snowball's chance in hell I would EVER go to work for UAir or NWA... they're both about the same ranking on my happy meter.

Incidentally no, this story is only 1 day old (released yesterday, check the date), and I just heard about it today.

Secondly yes, I'm well aware what parts were true and which parts were speculation. The hard to hide parts are the DOT numbers; those are a matter of public record.

Going from 70% on time to 30% on time in one week without an event such as a hurricane or locusts is a pretty clear signal.

*snicker*

Yeah, that's what I want. A 190 F/O seat...

I'm happy where I am, for now, barring a crappy contract or a similar Midwest integration where my upgrade gets delayed substantially.

Even then, there's not a snowball's chance in hell I would EVER go to work for UAir or NWA... they're both about the same ranking on my happy meter.

Incidentally no, this story is only 1 day old (released yesterday, check the date), and I just heard about it today.

Secondly yes, I'm well aware what parts were true and which parts were speculation. The hard to hide parts are the DOT numbers; those are a matter of public record.

Going from 70% on time to 30% on time in one week without an event such as a hurricane or locusts is a pretty clear signal.

Here's the problem that everyone needs to remember. Doug and company are skilled in the art of low ball tactics. This tactic will not be successful on a group of employees that have just witnessed this company earn half a billion dollars. Now In my heart of hearts I feel Doug will side with AWA as this was really his baby. I also have it on very good authority that the company will protect it'self in that it will place a/c where ever it needs in order to be successful. I also expect Douglas will make a statement soon that the new airways is in trouble and looking at BK unless it merges again, this after we posted the highest profit of all carriers!!

WD.

Lear-
Thanks for the post. I haven't seen it yet. Not sure why the others have their panties in a wad.

Schwanker

No really,

Who gives a crap, Usairways is worse than many regional airlines. Thank ALPO for that. Why would anyone stick around that crapfest?

Next question.

There is plenty more money to rape before us execs BK the cow. As long as the employees get back in their place. Westies are weak minded. Easties are all talk. Looks like I'll get paid either way. Enjoy your vienna franks, losers.

PS Frank says hi to C. Munn.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back