• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

And so it begins... mergers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmmm? Both companies clean up in BK, and are stronger than most (with exception of SWA--the airline that won't hire you). Put both cleaned up companies together, and you get a really strong company. But TANKY knows better, from his desk. Slider, you stink!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey buddy,

How much money are you guys going to lose for the 4th quarter of '07? I bet it's not as much as you are about to lose for the 1st quarter of '08. Song + NWA is all about the synergy. Just think if you guys loose $100 mil this quarter and NWA loses $100 mil this quarter then maybe if you were to combine forces you could lose $300 mil.

Hey buddy,

How much money are you guys going to lose for the 4th quarter of '07? I bet it's not as much as you are about to lose for the 1st quarter of '08. Song + NWA is all about the synergy. Just think if you guys loose $100 mil this quarter and NWA loses $100 mil this quarter then maybe if you were to combine forces you could lose $300 mil.

Our CFO said a small operating loss. Doesn't sound as bad as you think, but you know otherwise...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Our CFO said a small operating loss. Doesn't sound as bad as you think, but you know otherwise...

Bye Bye--General Lee

I'm sorry, I thought any "loss" was bad. I guess a "loss" in this case is good. If that's the case, I hope you continue to post more operating "loses." I hope they grow. Someone should tell SWA about how they should post an operating loss. Those guys I guess are too bogged down in 20 minute turns.

I don't see how any merger could possibly be good for pilots. A merger combined with age 65, a recession, and $100 oil just looks devastating. What is the growth potential of a merged NWA/DAL or CAL/UAL? How much could an airline that big that covers so much of the world grow? How bloody will the seniority integration be? I think where ever you end up after the integration is most likely where you will end up for the rest of your life.

Originally Posted by Bavarian Chef
I am sorry, did someone say menaje a trois? I got sidetracked.

The three you speak of is going to be America West, Colgan, and Gulfstream. They will be ALPA.

Originally Posted by Bavarian Chef
I am sorry, did someone say menaje a trois? I got sidetracked.

The three you speak of is going to be America West, Colgan, and Gulfstream. They will be ALPA.

dude, it's a bit early in the day to be hitting the sauce.

What's the plan for NWA Airlink, Mesaba, Com Air, Chautauqua, ASA, if NWA and DAL have a shotgun wedding? I know most have multiple flying agreements but not sure about Com Air?

What's the plan for NWA Airlink, Mesaba, Com Air, Chautauqua, ASA, if NWA and DAL have a shotgun wedding? I know most have multiple flying agreements but not sure about Com Air?

from what I understand, ComAir will deserve whatever they get.

I don't see how any merger could possibly be good for pilots. A merger combined with age 65, a recession, and $100 oil just looks devastating. What is the growth potential of a merged NWA/DAL or CAL/UAL? How much could an airline that big that covers so much of the world grow? How bloody will the seniority integration be? I think where ever you end up after the integration is most likely where you will end up for the rest of your life.

Well, as long as hubs aren't closed, domestic feed will continue pretty much the same, with some regional flying consolidated probably. The growth will be from the INTL sector. If DAL and NWA got together, passengers could connect in ATL or DTW from one side of the world and truly hit the other side, all on the same airline. Delta has already added over 50 INTL cities last year alone, and there are plenty more to be added. Throw in 787s NWA will be getting, and the combo could prove a "do it all in one airline." That would force CAL to buy UAL to try to be the same, and the others would scramble too.

Seniority integration probably wouldn't be fun, but we have all learned something about USAir and AWA---becareful with binding arbitration. ALPA would have to come up with something fair, or we would have to go down the same arbitration lane as USAir/AWA did.

If DAL and NWA got together, the lack of overlap would keep the hubs and the jobs. With additional planes coming like 787s and 777LRs, along with current 744s, A330s, and plenty of 767ERs, INTL upgrades will continue. Domestic flying will maintain atleast the current size, with DC9s maybe getting replaced with MD90s or even E190s. Maybe MEM and CVG would see a slight reduction in service, but not enough to give Airtran or SWA a foothold.

Now if UAL and DL get together, I don't know what would happen. Lot's of hub closures, crying, cats sleeping with dogs, Tilton kissing everyone in sight, I don't know....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well, as long as hubs aren't closed, domestic feed will continue pretty much the same, with some regional flying consolidated probably. The growth will be from the INTL sector. If DAL and NWA got together, passengers could connect in ATL or DTW from one side of the world and truly hit the other side, all on the same airline. Delta has already added over 50 INTL cities last year alone, and there are plenty more to be added. Throw in 787s NWA will be getting, and the combo could prove a "do it all in one airline." That would force CAL to buy UAL to try to be the same, and the others would scramble too.

Seniority integration probably wouldn't be fun, but we have all learned something about USAir and AWA---becareful with binding arbitration. ALPA would have to come up with something fair, or we would have to go down the same arbitration lane as USAir/AWA did.

If DAL and NWA got together, the lack of overlap would keep the hubs and the jobs. With additional planes coming like 787s and 777LRs, along with current 744s, A330s, and plenty of 767ERs, INTL upgrades will continue. Domestic flying will maintain atleast the current size, with DC9s maybe getting replaced with MD90s or even E190s. Maybe MEM and CVG would see a slight reduction in service, but not enough to give Airtran or SWA a foothold.

Now if UAL and DL get together, I don't know what would happen. Lot's of hub closures, crying, cats sleeping with dogs, Tilton kissing everyone in sight, I don't know....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just think of the operating loss they could post if they could just combine forces. Apart, they can only go into Ch 11....but together they can go into Ch 22. It's double secret banckrupcy.

Latest resources

Back