• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

And so it begins... mergers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doug's gonna end up buying NWA for US, CAL will buy UAL and DAL will be holding an empty bag.

No, I doubt that. I think Delta is looking at NWA or part of UAL--maybe the INTL routes while allowing CAL to pick up the DOM routes and their beloved DEN hub they miss so. Look at it this way. What does Delta gain from a UAL merge? Besides the Asian routes they would get a lot of debt and a lot of overlap. NWA would merge with CAL and become the powerhouse that DAL and NWA could have been---strong ASIA (NWA), strong Europe (CAL from EWR), and a southern hub (IAH). That would be stupid for DL to do. I think DL is considering UAL so that Pardus Capital will get off their butt. Most analcysts have pointed out that NWA and DL would be the likely combo.

Also, who wants to merge with USAir? That is another quagmire. And if somehow Delta was out "holding an empty bag" as you say, I think that would be better than getting into a bad merger.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, tell me a merger lately that has gone well. Somebody is getting screwed. TWA/AA, US/AWA, etc, etc. NWA is a very unhappy group and management would love it if pilots were to turn their venom against the DAL group as opposed to constantly at management. The NWA group is still pissed about the republic merger.

That cabotage checklist is a doosy. LOL

Do you think the Virgin America guys realize they are reading from it?

I agree that Delta would be very interested in UAL's international routes - Asia and London Heathrow - to complement Delta's current route structure. An asset sale would work in that case.

That said, I can't see how adding UAL's domestic network would benefit Delta that much beyond just removing a direct competitor and some capacity - Delta already has a domestic network. There's no strategic benefit to adding DEN, SFO and IAD hubs given Delta's current hub network. Sure, IAD is a strong hub for UAL, but ATL also serves many of the same mid-size connector markets for Delta. International routes (Asia and LHR) would be very valuable. Fortunately, merging with NWA could also provide the needed Asian routes.

speaking of an empty bag, where's Tanker Clown on this subject?[/quote

Hey there 406. Good luck with your merger. To me, it's like merging the Atlanta Falcons and the Miami Dolphins. How good is the combination? Delta (money loser and BK veteran) + Northwest (money loser and BK veteran) = P.O.'d people, more losses, pay cuts, and furloughs.

Any way you slice it, there will be unhappy people and money lost.

General, tell me a merger lately that has gone well. Somebody is getting screwed. TWA/AA, US/AWA, etc, etc. NWA is a very unhappy group and management would love it if pilots were to turn their venom against the DAL group as opposed to constantly at management. The NWA group is still pissed about the republic merger.

The US/AWA merger was a seamless merger, route wise and hub wise. Seniority wise, it did not work, but binding arbitration was applied and the East guys turned into babies. The merger itself was a success, the babies of the East have created a disaster. The other mergers you have described have not worked. NWA employees do NOT like their management, no doubt there. That is where our management falls in. Most of our employees (not the pilots) love them, and continue to vote DOWN union representation. Why? They are treated well, and most (at least 51%) of the people in ATL get what they want--and the vote is always turned down. NWA employees are looking for better, and even though we pilots are cautious, most of the others would like a friendlier management, and ours projects that. NWA people want Steenland out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

speaking of an empty bag, where's Tanker Clown on this subject?[/quote

Hey there 406. Good luck with your merger. To me, it's like merging the Atlanta Falcons and the Miami Dolphins. How good is the combination? Delta (money loser and BK veteran) + Northwest (money loser and BK veteran) = P.O.'d people, more losses, pay cuts, and furloughs.

Hmmmm? Both companies clean up in BK, and are stronger than most (with exception of SWA--the airline that won't hire you). Put both cleaned up companies together, and you get a really strong company. But TANKY knows better, from his desk. Slider, you stink!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sounds very much like your last trial for lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor.

In any case, maybe this will be the chance for the legacies to finally get something right. But I'm not holding my breath.

Latest resources

Back