Anchorage Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gumby said:
Fity....With all the time you spend in PANC, you could get that WW gig p/t!!:beer:

Dweller,

problem is....not much time in PANC is spent sober!!!....

and I swore off Westwinds for life a while back.

fiddy.

:nuts:

Uh, OK...

psysicx said:
How dark is it in the winter? Is it just dusk or is it pitch black?

what is the QOD (quality of dark) ;)

psysicx said:
How dark is it in the winter? Is it just dusk or is it pitch black?

DARK BABY! Actually, when I was there last December you were getting about 4 hours of twilight each day, otherwise it's night time.

Falconer said:
I don't know the current status, but there was an Astra based at Signature. The pilots flew both the Astra and a Cessna Caravan on floats. Summers in Alaska and I believe the worst winter months in California. Old data, I could be wrong. Call Signature...

If we're talking about the same Astra, it's long gone. They're now flying a Westwind and had a couple of G3's. I believe they have just gotten a GIV plus several bush/float/amphib aircraft.

On the shortest day of the year, the sun rises (though it does stay low on the horizon) at about 10:30 am and sets about 3:15 pm. Not what I would exactly call "twilight". "Twilight" implies that the sun has set below the horizon and visible light remains. There is still around 5 hours of "daylight"...between sunrise and sunset...on the shortest day of the year in Anchorage.

Today, for example...15 days before the solstice...sunrise is at 0956 and sunset is at 1545 for 5 hrs 49 mins of "day" and 7 hrs 48 mins of "visible light".

So it it hardly "dark", even on the shortest day of the year. You have to get several hundred miles further north to experience that.

2000flyer said:
If we're talking about the same Astra, it's long gone. They're now flying a Westwind and had a couple of G3's. I believe they have just gotten a GIV plus several bush/float/amphib aircraft.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Do you have any specifics you can share ???

Gulfstream 200 said:
Dweller,

problem is....not much time in PANC is spent sober!!!....

and I swore off Westwinds for life a while back.

fiddy.

:nuts:

Hmmm..GOOD POINT! The question is though, can you punch a clown while drunk?:pimp:

flx757 said:
On the shortest day of the year, the sun rises (though it does stay low on the horizon) at about 10:30 am and sets about 3:15 pm. Not what I would exactly call "twilight". "Twilight" implies that the sun has set below the horizon and visible light remains. There is still around 5 hours of "daylight"...between sunrise and sunset...on the shortest day of the year in Anchorage.

Today, for example...15 days before the solstice...sunrise is at 0956 and sunset is at 1545 for 5 hrs 49 mins of "day" and 7 hrs 48 mins of "visible light".

So it it hardly "dark", even on the shortest day of the year. You have to get several hundred miles further north to experience that.

Well, technically speaking, you are correct. However, the sun is barely above the horizon for those 5 hours, and I DO mean barely. Some days it is not directly visible due to the mountains south of Anchorage. But, technically speaking, you are correct, the sun IS above the HORIZON, just like "it's five o'clock somewhere." Now, add to the low azmuth of the sun on the horizon, the mountains, toss is clouds and I can personally confirm the light is the SAME as twilight. In the middle of winter, even in Anchorage, DAYLIGHT is much shorter than five hours. Just to be clear though, technically your definition is correct.

I lived there for many years. I'm very familiar. But, I will also say it is one of the 3 favorite places I have ever lived.:cool:

Latest resources

Back