Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Anyone familiar with corporate activity in Anchorage ? Have family up there that is looking around for gigs. Running quick searches through the FAA site for him sure hasn't produced much.

saw something on avcrew.com last month about a Westwind job in PANC. Sometimes see a westwind or two sitting at ERA there. ERA also runs charters in twin otters and Dash 8s I think....

my guess is its rather slim corp pickings up that way...plus winter just plain sucks.

actually -- here is the ad:

Westwind Pilot (AK) 11/11 (Job description & requirements updated)

Private company is seeking a Westwind pilot willing to move to Anchorage, Alaska. This is a Co-Captain or Co-Pilot position and will be working with an experienced Captain. Prior training or experience in the Westwind is preferred. We are seeking someone with an A&P. The average hours flown are approximately 300 per year and would require some holiday travel. Additional responsibilities would include daily help with minor hangar upkeep. Pay starts at around 50k. If interested, please email resume to employer. Be sure to mention that you saw the ad on AvCrew.com.

return to top

Panc

Evergreen Helicopters is looking for a PANC Base Fixed Wing chief pilot. Requirements are BE-200, LR-35 and/or B747 experience (I know it should odd, but Evergreen is odd). You've got 2 out of 3 ... give it a go. Heck, you might get a B747 check out !!

TransMach

:smash:
Gulfstream 200 said:
saw something on avcrew.com last month about a Westwind job in PANC. Sometimes see a westwind or two sitting at ERA there. ERA also runs charters in twin otters and Dash 8s I think....

my guess is its rather slim corp pickings up that way...plus winter just plain sucks.

actually -- here is the ad:

Westwind Pilot (AK) 11/11 (Job description & requirements updated)

Private company is seeking a Westwind pilot willing to move to Anchorage, Alaska. This is a Co-Captain or Co-Pilot position and will be working with an experienced Captain. Prior training or experience in the Westwind is preferred. We are seeking someone with an A&P. The average hours flown are approximately 300 per year and would require some holiday travel. Additional responsibilities would include daily help with minor hangar upkeep. Pay starts at around 50k. If interested, please email resume to employer. Be sure to mention that you saw the ad on AvCrew.com.

return to top

Yea, that WW gig in AK, was actually the Governor of AK! Here is the skinny!

State's new jet could touch down today

TURBULENCE: Critics have contended the $2.7 million plane isn't needed.
By SEAN COCKERHAM
Anchorage Daily News
Published: November 8, 2005
Last Modified: November 8, 2005 at 03:14 PM

JUNEAU -- Alaskans might want to look up if they hear the sound of a jet airplane in the next few days: It could be the governor traveling in the state's new executive ride.

The state on Monday took possession of the $2.7 million Westwind II in Lincoln, Neb. The jet could arrive in Alaska as soon as today, state officials said.
The acquisition caps more than a year of political controversy, with Gov. Frank Murkowski insisting on the jet despite widespread opposition from other politicians and the public.
Murkowski and the Alaska Department of Public Safety will both use the nine-passenger aircraft.
Murkowski spokeswoman Becky Hultberg said she could not say when the governor will start flying on the Westwind. She referred such questions to Public Safety Commissioner Bill Tandeske.
"The governor could make use of the aircraft immediately if there is a need. ... It would not be unreasonable to assume he may be on the jet within the next couple weeks," Tandeske said in an e-mail.
Tandeske has said his department can use the jet to hightail it to emergencies or, more routinely, to transport prisoners to a private prison in Arizona that houses Alaska's excess inmates.
Tandeske said in an interview Monday that the jet will make its first prison run to Arizona soon. But he said that for security reasons he couldn't give specifics on that.
Critics have argued loud and often that a corporate jet is too luxurious for convicts or the governor. The 1984 Israeli-made Westwind II has a cream leather divan, burgundy carpeting, a cabin stereo system and a flush toilet -- unlike the state-owned turboprops the governor currently uses.
Murkowski has argued it makes sense for a state as big as Alaska to have a jet for public safety as well as to save time as he frequently travels on state business. The maximum speed of a Westwind II is listed at more than 500 mph.
Jet opponents, questioning the jet's utility, say it couldn't handle short gravel runways in the Bush. The Public Safety Department said it would fly people to regional hubs where they could get other transportation to smaller locales, just as troopers do now with the turboprops.
Murkowski first tried to get the jet last year with $2 million in federal Homeland Security funds. The federal government said no.
The Republican governor then included state money to lease a jet in his budget proposal to the Legislature. Republican-controlled subcommittees in the state House and Senate took the money out of the budget, saying their constituents opposed the jet.
Murkowski said he would get the jet anyway using his powers to move around state funds. Legislative Democrats tried to get no-jet language into the budget in a final attempt to stop him. But the majority Republicans refused to go that far.
The state signed a contract this summer to buy the jet from O. Bruton Smith, a North Carolina auto-racing tycoon. It has been owned by the Land's End catalogue company, among others. The jet has been in Nebraska for renovations and inspections over the past few weeks.
The state added police/emergency radio capability and a cold-weather package for the Alaska climate that includes an engine heater, said Dan Spencer, administrative services director for the Public Safety Department. It also added a seat belt for the toilet seat, as required by law for takeoffs, Spencer said.
Spencer said the state also made some minor repairs, like replacing rivets.
"Rivets are $800 a pop. ... Nothing on a jet is less than $800, as far as I can tell," said Spencer, who is in charge of paying the bills.
Spencer said the state has put about $95,000 into the repairs and upgrades.
That's on top of the $2.6 million purchase cost and the $97,600 for training four Alaska State Troopers pilots to fly it. The state is paying the jet bills using a line of credit with Key Bank. The state plans to sell one of its King Air turboprops to raise a half-million dollars or so to put toward the cost.

Daily News reporter Sean Cockerham can

" It also added a seat belt for the toilet seat, as required by law for takeoffs, Spencer said."

then shouldn't it have one already, or is that a Alaska rule?

O.K. guys, let's stay on point here. I don't think the avcrew ad was for the state aircraft as the ad stated "private company" and the article said they were training state police troopers to fly it.

Anyone have any input on any actual corporate aircraft based there ???

Steve said:
" It also added a seat belt for the toilet seat, as required by law for takeoffs, Spencer said."

then shouldn't it have one already, or is that a Alaska rule?

It wasn't likely certified as a pax seat in it's previous config. By adding the belt, you get an additional certified passenger seat.

semperfido said:
you must be joking...anchorage, ak?? :crying:

I'm inquiring to help my brother-in-law who lives up there already. Been up there a couple times myself (in the summer) and it's absolutely the most beautiful places I've been. And I'm not even an outdoor kind of guy. It's the long days of darkness in the winter I couldn't handle...

The Westwind job WASN'T the governor's plane. For that you need to apply to the State of Alaska. Though they act like it sometimes, I highly doubt they'd advertise the job as a "Private Company."

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back