• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

An open letter to the pilots of Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand what he's saying. Its not Skywest Airlines who's made the offer for XJT, its the holding company, Skywest Inc. They also own ASA Airlines. But the post is only addressed to the Skywest pilots, not the ASA pilots who stand to benefit just as much from the acquisition.

How could an ASA pilot potentially benefit from this transaction? I HIGHLY doubt that ASA would be asked/tasked with setting up a new base at LAX, again. Is there some other benefit for the ASA pilot group that you were referring to?

This thread cracks me up.

I appreciate the professionalism of the original poster. I voted for ALPA at OO. I was outvoted. What am I supposed to do? Go on strike by myself? Our power is in numbers, that's why we unionize. If the majority of my fellow pilots don't agree...that's democracy. Even if I wanted to move to another carrier...I'd lose all of my seniority...I've got 2200 pilots under me at SkyWest. Why would I take a chance of moving on(to a major or otherwise) in the current state of the industry.

I think it's accurate to lay the majority of blame for a company's fate with it's management. Sure, the employees have an effect, but if it wasn't for the tactics of SkyWest management(good or bad) we wouldn't be in a position to buy another airline. It really has nothing to do with what the empoyees do...union or not. Southwest has proven you can be successful in a tough environment WITH a union. SkyWest has shown you can be successful without. I submit that is because both companies have good management.

Perhaps Ream and company did their best...perhaps not. I know when I was at ExpressJet before 9/11 I was happy and it was a great place to work...AND appeared to be well managed. Perhaps luck plays a part as well. Perhaps being in the "right place" at the "right time" does as well. I don't know. I DO know that pilots are not even close to the top of the "blame-list" when these situations arise. No employee group is. The top of the list includes board members and people with three letters after their names(CEO, CFO, COO, etc.).

I know you are still going to blame the SkyWest Airlines pilots. That's fine.

Let me get this out of the way...since SkyWest Airlines is now taking center stage as the scape goat for all the industry's woes...

SkyWest SUCKS!!!

What a bunch of SCABS!!!

(said with tongue in cheek...but I figured I'd say it first).

How could an ASA pilot potentially benefit from this transaction? I HIGHLY doubt that ASA would be asked/tasked with setting up a new base at LAX, again. Is there some other benefit for the ASA pilot group that you were referring to?

I'd venture to say that neither you or I know what potential benefits could come from this transaction for either ASA or Skywest. But the point is that singling one group out while not the other is hypocritical.

I'd venture to say that neither you or I know what potential benefits could come from this transaction for either ASA or Skywest. But the point is that singling one group out while not the other is hypocritical.

Well then I guess I'm pissed at Jack Nicholson. Who knows what kind of damage he might do to us!

I swear...Pilots + Internet = retarded, 13 year old, West Side Story-style gang wannabes sometimes with the hatred towards one another.

As long as we are going to turn this into YET ANOTHER union debate...

Perhaps if ALPA national took a little time to UNIFY (novel concept for a union, eh?) all of its member pilot groups and get behind things like a national seniority list instead of pitting all of the member groups against each other in a massive clusterfark...maybe, just maybe, the pilots who don't have such a strained relationship with their
management would be more inclined to join.

Rez, you always talk about ALPA being as strong as the local leadership. As the outside man looking in, that tells me that national is weak. And, based solely on my conversations with friends that are pilots and what I read on this God-forsaken message board...it is the national, universal QOL issues that ALPA needs to be working on...and spending a little less time on the small things like the FFDO program and keeping Captain Kangaroo...er, I mean, Captain Prater's moustache so neatly trimmed.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud ALPA's work as a safety advocate...however, there apparently needs to be more work on actually taking care of the livelihoods of the current member pilots before even considering chasing more membership.

I think, when faced with the decision of whether or not to organize, the average pilot doesn't put alot of thought into ALPA's advocacy on The Hill...they look at the state of QOL of other ALPA pilots. And, when they see the messes of US Airways/America West...ALPA pilots losing jobs left and right...and the general lack of brotherhood and unity amongst all of the ALPA pilot groups...not to mention the "Me vs. The World" and general unhappiness with life
mentality conveyed by many ALPA pilots...and can you see why 2/3 of SkyWest pilots might not want to join up.

I wish nothing but the best for the ExpressJet guys and gals. I truly hope this doesn't go down the way you guys are saying. However, if it does...you must remember that this is business...and your management deserves the blame, not the SkyWest line pilot.
It is hard to disagree with this post. ALPA in concept is a great idea, but there needs to be some serious unification across the board. The problem with Skywest is not only do they compete to the detriment of other groups, they then spit in the face of the conquered groups and brag about the quick upgrade and how much better off they are than other groups. Skywest pilots will never have anything more than what an ALPA group of pilots vote in. So even though Skywest pilots may not make the decision for management, they make managements job so much easier by allowing the work rules to be manipulated at will. Personally, I will not go one extra step farther than legally required to help any Skywest pilot. If we are a pound over weight and a Skywest pilot wants the JS, I am sorry but we are over weight. That is just about as much help as you all have done for the rest of the industry. Just so you know, I would do anything I could to help a Mesa pilot, even though Mesa sucks, atleast they have a shot at bettering the situation they currently have.

Fair enough; I doubt either of us know of what potential benefits could come of this transaction for either ASA or Skywest.

However, it is not correct to point to any possible future misfortune to be suffered by the XJT guys as being brought about by the ASA pilot group. From just an average line-flying guy's perspective, we had no influence in the decision SKYW made to acquire XJT. Nothing hypocritical here.

Fair enough; I doubt either of us know of what potential benefits could come of this transaction for either ASA or Skywest.

However, it is not correct to point to any possible future misfortune to be suffered by the XJT guys as being brought about by the ASA pilot group. From just an average line-flying guy's perspective, we had no influence in the decision SKYW made to acquire XJT. Nothing hypocritical here.

Agreed. But neither do Skywest pilots! That's my point! ASA is as much a part of Skywest Inc., as Skywest Airlines

Last edited:
It is hard to disagree with this post. ALPA in concept is a great idea, but there needs to be some serious unification across the board. The problem with Skywest is not only do they compete to the detriment of other groups, they then spit in the face of the conquered groups and brag about the quick upgrade and how much better off they are than other groups. Skywest pilots will never have anything more than what an ALPA group of pilots vote in. So even though Skywest pilots may not make the decision for management, they make managements job so much easier by allowing the work rules to be manipulated at will. Personally, I will not go one extra step farther than legally required to help any Skywest pilot. If we are a pound over weight and a Skywest pilot wants the JS, I am sorry but we are over weight. That is just about as much help as you all have done for the rest of the industry. Just so you know, I would do anything I could to help a Mesa pilot, even though Mesa sucks, atleast they have a shot at bettering the situation they currently have.

You are such a loser, nothing like helping get somebody home to see their family. you sir are what's wrong in this world. please blame all the woes of the aviation industry on a group of pilots who choose not to be represented by a union. we are regional airline pilots, get over yourselfs!!! if denying a jumpseat helps you sleep at night that's fine. skywest pilots will continue to help other pilots from other companies get home to their family and friends.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back