An Observation...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jet newbie

Does anyone else, especially you non regional pilots, notice a trend on the regional message board? It doens't matter who posts what subject, it always comes back to one of two things. It's either managements fault or the fault of the 800 hour pilots who paid for their jobs. If your job s__ks that bad....QUIT!!! Find something else to do. When you guys are flying along in the FL's do you all just sit there and b_tch about how bad your job s_cks and how you all are getting screwed every day you have to come to work? Well, I think you all need to stop pointing the finger. Management is only going to get away with what YOU let them and the vast majority of you would have jumped at the opportunity to fly for a regional for pennies when you were an 800 hour CFI.

I realize I am probably going to be banned from this site, but I think someone should say it. If the job really stinks and you are underpaid...QUIT!!! Managemt will get the hint soon enough.

I have repeated over and over on this board just what you have said. That people here refuse to accept responsibility for their own situations. They are constantly pointing fingers looking for someone else to blame. No way could it be their own fault.

But then again, I'll be reminded that I'm just another major airline a$$hole....what could I possibly know. In fact, I'm part of the problem. You know, another one of those they point to and blame. :rolleyes:

trainerjet said:
I have repeated over and over on this board just what you have said. That people here refuse to accept responsibility for their own situations. They are constantly pointing fingers looking for someone else to blame. No way could it be their own fault.

But then again, I'll be reminded that I'm just another major airline a$$hole....what could I possibly know. In fact, I'm part of the problem. You know, another one of those they point to and blame. :rolleyes:

You aren't a "major airline a$$hole". You aren't an a$$hole at all. You miss only one thing ___ the bit*ching is no different in the "regional airlines" from the bit*ching in the "major airlines". Major airline pilots blame others for everything that happens to them, just like regional airline pilots do.

The idea that it is "different" is the flaw. It isn't. It comes with the territory and WE are all equally guilty.

Personally, I love my job. Theres nothing else I'd rather do and I think the majority of pilots on here feel that way. But just because I feel privilaged to be part of the airline industry, doesn't mean I'm going to let management run all over me. We are professionals and and assets to our respective companies. Unfortunately our companies tend to forget that. Our CEO has been dishonest and straight up lied to us a number of times. Nobody trust management because of it. The company will violate our contract anytime they think they can get away with it. Sometimes we have to call crewpay to fight for money that is rightfully ours. What, we're supposed to just cave to them without question? "Oh, you need %50 paycuts and we only get 8 days off a month with junior manning and $.45 per diem because we'll go out of business if we don't..ok, sure anything you need boss". Yeah, ok. The majority of airlines and labor groups are always butting heads. It's a constant game of chicken. And your suggestion is to QUIT? Not to stick around and change things but to leave so you can be replaced by someone who is just "happy to be here" and will take it up the arse just to keep their job? Of course you realize this board is dedicated to regional pilots so if you don't want to hear us complaining, stay out. What gives you any credibility anyway? Oh, I see you have a 152 rating....ok, sorry.

What gives you any credibility anyway? Oh, I see you have a 152 rating....ok, sorry.

That has nothing to do with anything, I love how people on this board put such a great deal of emphasis on what the "profile" says someone has flown. You know nothing about this guy, maybe he's flown the space shuttle or maybe he's not even a pilot. You have more creditibiltiy because you claim to have flown and ERJ.?. Congratulations, i'll bet you can't even fly a 152 anymore.

Opinions are opinions, his observation is correct, look...people are already bit#hing about something, in this case it happens to be about jetnewbie

My solution was not to quit...It was to do something OR quit. Don't just sit and gripe. I realize that some are doing something but it seems that the vast majority are just bit_hing for lack of anything better to do. I am glad fortune has steered my career path away from the regionals.

Personally for me...
I did not jump at the opertunity to fly for pennies on the dollar. While I really like my job, I want to make money while doing it. Not just say thank GOD I'm not flight instucting anymore. It does my bank account no good and the industry no good. I also did not get into this career to settle for $100,000.00 per year. :rolleyes:

surplus1 said:

The idea that it is "different" is the flaw. It isn't. It comes with the territory and WE are all equally guilty.

I agree with you that it is people in general. It's just that on this board, there seems to be a lot of pilots pointing fingers, usually at one of two places--Mesa or ALPA.

But, you are 100% correct that WE are all equally guilty, although I personally, in my life, have made a concerted effort these last few years to stop looking for others to blame and then to others to solve the problem.

That has nothing to do with anything, I love how people on this board put such a great deal of emphasis on what the "profile" says someone has flown. You know nothing about this guy, maybe he's flown the space shuttle or maybe he's not even a pilot. You have more creditibiltiy because you claim to have flown and ERJ.?. Congratulations, i'll bet you can't even fly a 152 anymore.

So would you let an astronaut stright from NASA or a CFI just out of college come in and negotiate a new contract? Or be your chief pilot? I'm not claiming credibility because of what I've flown but rather because of my experiences at a regional airline. I've seen the good and the bad of the airlines, from being furloughed to preparing for a strike, to finally getting a new TA, and I have a lot left to see. And we will always complain about something. It's just a fact of life. And these days, with concessions, contract carriers vs wholly owned, alter-ego carriers, mainline routes turning into RJ routes, etc. there is more frustration and moral is low at many places. This board is a good way at blowing off some steam and discussing our problems with others sympathetic to our causes. And yes, it is up to us to change things but it can't happen overnight. It's going to take a long time for many of us to turn this trend around. If you don't like what you see, don't read the posts. And I COULD fly a 152 with an instructor.

Corbon is the only one in this thrwad with any sense and any guts.
Quitting is not the answer. Hiring baby pilots who will literally whore themselves out to fly a jet is not the answer. We have to demand what we have coming.
Those of you who think an airline pilot is worth 25 grand a year...go fly a Baron filled with boxes. Those of you who are not in this game, be quiet. You have no ground to stand on with your worthless opinions on something you know nothing about.
Just because we love WHAT we do does not mean we should settle for cr@p. And finally, just because you have 300 hrs and think you "deserve" a job is not enough. GO EARN IT. Then maybe this group of "professional pilots" will stand up for what is deserved.
My observation: the ones who got the job easy will not fight for what this job deserves.

Latest resources

Back