An different article on a USAF leader

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slice121 said:
That's what (for the most part) meant. I'm not discounting PJ's, JTACS, etc. But when you look at AF percentages as compared to other services it's obvious and in my opinion negatively affects O + E relations. Too many shoe clerks on both sides of the fence these days.

Slice,
I'm with Ben on this one. If I remember correctly there were more Enlisted aircrew killed in the first gulf war than "O's".

But to comment on the theme of this thread, the lack of integrity in AF leadership is a large reason why I retired at 20. As a SNCO, it got real old having squadron leadership lie to my face, violate regulations at will, and screw people over in the guise of "Air Force Necessity". At the same time have the balls to chew my ass out because one of my troops was wearing a t-shirt that was not "regulation". I still remember a Wing Commander we had who used to chase guys down in the parking lot to see what kind of socks they were wearing. IMHO, it all changed sometime in the 80's when good Captains and Majors were getting passed over and rifted, while the really great "managers" were promoted.

B767Inst said:
IMHO, it all changed sometime in the 80's when good Captains and Majors were getting passed over and rifted, while the really great "managers" were promoted.

I think it changed when Power Point was invented.

OK, I’ll bite since no one else wants to. You all make excellent points except that you are forgetting one thing. The job of today’s squadron commander is not to lead his troops into battle anymore. (Which is a shame, but for better or worse, the days of flying/leading large formations over enemy territory are gone.) The CC’s job is to work the “system” to get as much money as he can for his squadron (to improve your quality of life so you are not working on 286 computers, etc.), to get his people good assignments when it is time to leave (assignments either good for the Air Force/your career or good for the individual depending upon who you ask and what their definition of “taking care of you” is) and finally to work with other agencies on base/in the USAF for the good of his people. (i.e. to pick up the phone and work with CE to get the leak in the roof fixed, family support to help out the family of a deployed guy, etc.) In order for a CC to be able to do that, you’ve got to have a guy who has knowledge of how the rest of the USAF works and how to manipulate the system to get things done. Unfortunately, the way guys learn about the rest of the base and about how things are done to “support” the mission is by going through a painful process of being a wing exec or similar.

Having the phone numbers for only base ops and the crew bus in your rolodex doesn’t do jack for solving the infinite number of problems your guys face when dealing with the rest of the base/non-flying world. Ideally, a Sq/CC could just stand up in front of his squadron, display the Patton, Doolittle, (you pick it), style of leadership and his men would be charging out of the briefing room with their fangs hanging out. While that type of leadership is still vitally important, there is more to it now days than just that. (unless all of the pilots would be unmarried, never have to interact with the rest of the base, never get paid, etc.) The support side of the USAF doesn’t answer to the flying side anymore. (this is the true heart of the issue IMHO). Ever since pilots became “just another member of the USAF team” we’ve totally lost our ability to direct the “support” side. (How many different AFSCs get leather jackets now days?)

Way too many geek pilots who can write good reports end up moving up because no one else wants to take the bull by the horns. (Let me see, give up flying full time so that I can answer a phone and fly once in a blue moon – are you kidding?) If we want some sanity to return to the flying squadrons, the respected guys with good hands have to suck it up, learn how to write and answer the phone (as an exec) and become CCs so that they can fix the problem instead of just b!tch!ng about it. If the good guys all bail out because all they want to do is fly (and not accept the responsibility of command), then I say shut up and accept the bed that you made. You’re handing the keys over to the spineless geeks.

Not all of the commanders you meet are the slime you describe above. (Although unfortunately way too many I’ve seen fit the mold) I’ve never been a CC but have a lot of respect for a good number (definitely not all) of the ones I’ve had. The guys I respect were not only good pilots, but they called a spade a spade, waived the BS flag when the “support” guys were adding additions to their empires but also pointed the finger right back at his own guys when they screwed up. The world we live in today is just plain different than the days gone by that we all dream of…

A squadron commander who sits in his tent and gives orders and does not fly, though he may have the brains of Soloman, will never get the results that a man will, who, day in and day out, leads his patrols over the line and infuses into his pilots the 'espirit de corps.'
— Brigadier General William 'Billy' Mitchell, USAS.

You guys didn;t get the briefing at SOS or ACSC? Its the "don't get any crap on me" managemnet style. Basically it's do what you can to keep out of trouble to include lieing and not taking resbonibility for any actions unless you might get a medal. It's right up there with the "someone craps his pants and the commander puts everyone in diapers theory." The Air Foce is led by the last man standing leadership grooming policy. Everyone that is worth a pant-load gets out for the civilian world ASAP. Even when the USAF tries to kick out a loser they still get back in. My unit's chief pilot was kicked out of the USAF as a captain for failure to promote. Basically he's lazy. After being thrown out, he spent two years in civilian life working for a railroad scheduler and tried his hand at teaching high school kids history. He failed at two jobs that barely require a degree. He got back in at my reserve unit when it stood up looking for pilots. He's still a lazy worthless opinionated bloviating loser. He's a Lt Col now with no where else to go. It's turned into a welfare program. My unit is full of these guys mixed in with hard working people that are kept down by excrement-heads like him. These are the people we promote. Do your PME and hang around long enough and you'll get your chance to screw things up as a leader.

RampFreeze said:
Way too many geek pilots who can write good reports end up moving up because no one else wants to take the bull by the horns. (Let me see, give up flying full time so that I can answer a phone and fly once in a blue moon – are you kidding?) If we want some sanity to return to the flying squadrons, the respected guys with good hands have to suck it up, learn how to write and answer the phone (as an exec) and become CCs so that they can fix the problem instead of just b!tch!ng about it. If the good guys all bail out because all they want to do is fly (and not accept the responsibility of command), then I say shut up and accept the bed that you made. You’re handing the keys over to the spineless geeks.

Not all of the commanders you meet are the slime you describe above. (Although unfortunately way too many I’ve seen fit the mold) I’ve never been a CC but have a lot of respect for a good number (definitely not all) of the ones I’ve had. The guys I respect were not only good pilots, but they called a spade a spade, waived the BS flag when the “support” guys were adding additions to their empires but also pointed the finger right back at his own guys when they screwed up. The world we live in today is just plain different than the days gone by that we all dream of…

Excellent post. As I read your argument, I was asking why can't someone do both - be able to handle the queep of day to day command but also be able to lead and inspire. You hit the nail on the head. The good dudes need to "play ball" and stay alive in the game in order to one day be commanders. Hopefully enough of them can stay true to themselves along the long path to leadership. I've had the honor of having great squadron commanders, but haven't seen anything great from the OG on up. On the upside, two of my former commanders are OG/CC's now and I hope they continue to do good things. I wrestled with that thought when I got out - do I quit now or stay in and change things when it's my turn to lead? It's hard for me to complain too much when I walked out on my own opportunity. Again, well though out post.

I like to refer to it simply as promotion by attrition. Very prevalent in the reserves since 15 years ago technicians were paid next to nothing. The only people that stayed around were those that just couldn't get a good job on the outside (for obvious reasons). They wound up in some very high positions by continuing to breathe.

Those technicians are now at the top of the heap and have their own network of "peers" in charge to ensure that it stays that way. About 8-10 years ago, technician pay got decent, so I'm hoping that we are a few years away from an improved crop of leadership.

B767Inst said: while the really great "managers" were promoted.

In addition to having an incredible avatar, I feel B767Inst hit the nail on the head. IMHO that one simple word, "management," is a big part of the problem. The military is NOT IBM, we're not GM, we're not a public utility. Having people in charge who call themselves, and their underlings refer to them as, "management" does all of us a great disservice. Hearing someone in uniform use that word is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I know it's just a word but I find it insulting and degrading and I honestly feel it's one of the symptoms of the problem we're discussing.

When I did a staff tour at HQ ACC/DOO back in the early 90s I was totally shocked at the routine total dishonesty practiced by many of the general officers. I was also shocked at how much they cared about superfical appearence items compared to how little they cared about actual combat related problems.

Since I worked in electronic warfare I also know for a fact that many of the generals beating the drum for the F-22 know little or nothing about how radar works or what low observable technolgy actual is, or how it can be countered.

The Air Force is really wierd in some ways. The rank and file are some of the smartest and hardest working people in the world, yet many of their leaders are very weak and timid individuals.

JimNtexas said:
When I did a staff tour at HQ ACC/DOO back in the early 90s I was totally shocked at the routine total dishonesty practiced by many of the general officers. I was also shocked at how much they cared about superfical appearence items compared to how little they cared about actual combat related problems.

Since I worked in electronic warfare I also know for a fact that many of the generals beating the drum for the F-22 know little or nothing about how radar works or what low observable technolgy actual is, or how it can be countered.

The Air Force is really wierd in some ways. The rank and file are some of the smartest and hardest working people in the world, yet many of their leaders are very weak and timid individuals.
As a former Army SOAR officer, a few stories to show the current problem:
1. Trying to borrow hanger space at an Air Force base for a 3 week exercise. I go to the aircraft commander. He says he can't authorize it as he does not own the hangers. I go to the maintenance commander, and he says HE can't approve it. I go to the BASE commander, and she says she can't approve it. I am absolutely frustrated at this point... every one is afraid to make a decision. As I am walking out of the base HQ, the base senior NCO who was in the last meeting comes running up to me. Asks me the hanger number, then tells me he will take care of it. He was obviously embarased. It took a senior non-com to make a decision.
2. Another joint exercise. Air Force unit supporting the exercise only completed one mission, meaning they got the SOF on target, on time. At the debrief the Air Force commander gets up and says they had a 95% mission completion rate. The JSOTF (Joint Special Operations Task Force), commander stops him, and asks how he figures they had a 95% mission completion rate. AF commander says they launched a bird 95% of the time they intended to. JSOTF commander was very pissed, and pointed out that getting an aircraft off the ground is NOT completing a mission. Getting people or bullets on target is.
3. Another joint mission in South America. JSOTF commander tells the AF C-130 commander he needs some people and parts at an airport that night. This is the major airport in a capital city of a country. Air Force commander refuses, says it is too dangerous at night. JSOTF commander turns to the Marine reserve unit supporting us and asks if they can do it. The Marine pilot responds, "Well, I fly a 757 in and out of there once a month at night, I recon' I can put a C-130 in there."
Then, of course, there was McPeak. Man, we could go on for hours about him.

Latest resources

Back